www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 7th, 2018, 08:08   #16
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

OUCH! My Thursday morning beat down. I might have to change my handle to NoFunGuy. Sorry for the confusion. As punishment I will be compelled to drive a gasser for a couple of days while my TDI is getting it's Phase II done.
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 05:36   #17
740GLE
Veteran Member

wind the piss out of the gasser, you'll be impressed that there is life after 4,000 PRM
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 12:29   #18
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

Getting on the interstate will definitely be more fun!!
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 09:54   #19
jhuber

I had actually forgot I started this thread, but the same issue was reported while I was reading some other recent threads, which jogged my memory. it seems that a number of repaired 2015 Passat TDIs have this seemingly-behind-the-dash vibration/shaking issue at low RPM. Unfortunately, I have not made any progress on diagnosing or eliminating it.
jhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2018, 05:39   #20
740GLE
Veteran Member

i really think its the dieselly sounds of the engine earning it's keep. If you roll the window down does it sound like its coming from the engine or from inside the cabin?

Our driveway is pretty steep, unless I keep in manual mode in first, she'll make it up in second and the clatter is just not needed.

I don't think you're harming anything, if need be try and keep the RPMs up by holding in first.
Old August 17th, 2018, 06:24   #21
jhuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
i really think its the dieselly sounds of the engine earning it's keep. If you roll the window down does it sound like its coming from the engine or from inside the cabin?

Our driveway is pretty steep, unless I keep in manual mode in first, she'll make it up in second and the clatter is just not needed.

I don't think you're harming anything, if need be try and keep the RPMs up by holding in first.
I understand the diesel lugging sound you are talking about...I've had a 2005 Jetta TDI, 2012 Passat TDI (which I had for awhile after it had the fix done), and 2014 Jetta TDI in the past. However, with this 2015 Passat TDI, this rattle starts after the engine starts doing its business, and it sounds more like a muffled vibrating stiff plastic trim piece (like I used to experience often with the 2005 Jetta, but with that car, I could usually find the offending piece of plastic). I've had the window down, and it doesn't sound to me like it is coming from the engine compartment, but it is hard to tell.

For me, this rattle doesn't only happen when going up the driveway. I can be going downhill pulling up to a STOP sign, and as soon as the RPMs drop, the rattle starts.
Old August 18th, 2018, 05:22   #22
scrambld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
My comment regarding NMS Passat SEL's only came with the DSG was directed at the OP* who is jhuber who has not posted in this thread since.

Then a couple of you jumped in with your own TDI's which are identified as having a manual transmission by the screen name or in a later post which I am crystal clear on. So I was not talking about your TDI since you are not the OP of this thread. Hope that clears it up for you...

*OP = Original Poster (as in the person who started the thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni024 View Post
Uhhh... guys? This was two posts above:

Thanks. This is my manual trans Passat.
Yeah, and it gets confusing when people don't quote a post.....it makes it sound as though it is their personal post......
scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 05:34   #23
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber View Post
I understand the diesel lugging sound you are talking about...I've had a 2005 Jetta TDI, 2012 Passat TDI (which I had for awhile after it had the fix done), and 2014 Jetta TDI in the past. However, with this 2015 Passat TDI, this rattle starts after the engine starts doing its business, and it sounds more like a muffled vibrating stiff plastic trim piece (like I used to experience often with the 2005 Jetta, but with that car, I could usually find the offending piece of plastic). I've had the window down, and it doesn't sound to me like it is coming from the engine compartment, but it is hard to tell.

For me, this rattle doesn't only happen when going up the driveway. I can be going downhill pulling up to a STOP sign, and as soon as the RPMs drop, the rattle starts.

gottcha, yeah trim rattle is tough to peg down, start hitting things. the "loop" portion of velcro is great at silencing rattles, other thing that I've read is medical tap used to silence squeaks.
Old September 27th, 2018, 11:51   #24
jhuber

Just an update...I took the Passat in for the Phase 2 update, and whatever they did fixed the rattle/rumble.

Also the Passat is running better now too. Prior to the Phase 2 update, it seemed to me that car was idling too low (based on my prior experience with TDIs). Sometimes it would seem to nearly stall when shifting into gear and taking off. That is all gone now. I reported this problem to the service agent, so perhaps they adjusted something else, or maybe the Phase 2 software update took care of the problem.
Old September 28th, 2018, 07:13   #25
740GLE
Veteran Member

you get phase 2a and 2b or just 2a?

2a is the sensor/wiring , 2b is the DPF EGR system stuff.
Old September 28th, 2018, 16:21   #26
jhuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
you get phase 2a and 2b or just 2a?

2a is the sensor/wiring , 2b is the DPF EGR system stuff.
The service ticket says 2A, which consists of coolant added, a pipe, a conversion kit, and a software update for ECM.