www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 17:47   #16
paul_arc

I love my 2012 golf TDI with the 6 speed manual. The only thing I don't love about it and reason to have it bought back instead of being fixed is because of the HPFP issue. If that was not a common problem, I would want to keep this car for a long long time.

That being said, I am looking for another diesel either hatch back or wagon which does not have the HPFP issue. I was wanting the bmw 328d xdrive but read someone on here that has one had his HPFP go out at 20 or 30k miles.

I'm mainly looking for mileage which is why I drive this car over my truck and since I tow a small trailer almost every weekend when I go riding then I would like a diesel. Any suggestions on something without a major issue like the HPFP?
Old June 22nd, 2016, 18:40   #17
tophergrace
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Alh

for me i'm a german car guy, mostly vag and If I were to sell my tdi I would get a new a3 sedan. I would get the brown sport seats, white exterior. Do a flash tune and be happy for a while
tophergrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 18:52   #18
ibsam2005
Veteran Member

I wish I could keep my '11 TDI 6mt, but honestly, this thing is built like junk. Rattles, never know if the AC is going to work or not, door locks that sometimes work, sometimes don't. All with just under 90k miles. My old '00 Jetta was going strong at over 200k.

Honestly, I would love to get a Mk4 5m with AC. I would pay $5k for one if it was well maintained, good int/ext, etc. Good mpg, can tow my kayaks easily... Dreams :/

If you think VW is going to give us a "sweet" deal, yall are crazy. I paid $17k w/ 64k miles June of last year. Now, people are giving them away for $11k. I expect for VW to say, at best... value is $13.5, plus we will give you $1500. $2500 if you buy a VW from us.
ibsam2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 19:13   #19
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

ibsam, good MKIVs are out there. And good project cars, too. I'm picking up my '99.5 Golf from the paint shop tomorrow. Because that car is replacing my '12 Golf, which I sold a year ago.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 10:41   #20
Jimmy Coconuts
Veteran Member

<========== Holding out for the inevitable #PINKBEETLE DUNE

You know you want one too.
Jimmy Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 10:56   #21
WolfsburgGolfTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's usually

I got my 13 Golf last August and I've loved the car so far. I told myself last summer that my next car will be German and it will be diesel after reading that Audi set a new world record for going 1148 miles on a single tank of fuel.
So far only one issue with the intercooler freezing during the winter... dealer couldnt find the problem.
I've always loved VW and the Golf, and given that this was one of the last years it was built in Germany, I don't want to give it up that early. But if there would be a deal from VW (We'll see next week) that would make it stupid not to act upon, then I'd like to get into a Audi A4 Avant/Allroad or a mk7 GTI. I think I'll be a German car guy for life given the handling and qualities that German cars have over American or Asian makes.
Old June 24th, 2016, 15:51   #22
jhinsc
Veteran Member

Right now, depending on how the numbers work out, I'll likely trade to a 2016 Passat SEL or SEL Premium. I will be looking at fully loaded Sonata Hybrid too. I was thinking I would move to a midsize SUV, but fuel mileage is still important to me, and I still need a big car/big back seat room. Main reason to trade is get the latest safety stuff - lots of crazy driver out there!

jhinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 16:10   #23
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

No 2016 TDIs if you want a diesel. 2017s look likely.
Old June 25th, 2016, 21:12   #24
Tornado TDI
Veteran Member

A new GLI. 6MT.
The gasser Jetta the same trim level as my TDI doesn't come with a manual.

Last edited by Tornado TDI; June 25th, 2016 at 21:20.
Tornado TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2016, 21:46   #25
Lucsar
Veteran Member

Just wanted to chime in here fellas. I'm from canada, the Toronto area; I got into a 15 Passat tdi SEL( Highline in Canada), and my vehicle is leased. I'm somewhat confused, as I thought from what I've been reading every now and then is that the newer tdi models with the EA288 version diesel isn't as problematic as the older versions. It's basically the cars that don't have ad blue tanks or urea injection that would be the ones receiving compensations with different options such as buy backs, repairs, ect. I was told my car would probably only require a software update only ? Is this correct ? Or does my vehicle fall into the whole damn lot ? I guess I'll find out in 3 days...as for a replacement vehicle , I'm not really sure, I agree that the newer Jetta is put together very cheaply., my compliments to the folks who build the Passats in Chatanooga, Tenn., very well built and solid. Have to wait and see....
Lucsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 09:10   #26
gerry100
Veteran Member

watched Motorweek/Cars.com test of mid size sedans, criteria a little confusing but the Passat was the winner. ( one can check it out on Cars.com site0

We're thinking of moving up a size if the settlement makes it worth while.( now '11 Jetta tdi MT)

I've been thinking Mazda6/MT but I gotta believe a Passat deal will be sweeter ( not sure if MT available).
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 09:50   #27
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucsar View Post
<snip> It's basically the cars that don't have ad blue tanks or urea injection that would be the ones receiving compensations with different options such as buy backs, repairs, ect. I was told my car would probably only require a software update only ? Is this correct ? Or does my vehicle fall into the whole damn lot ?<snip>
As far as anyone knows, you're in the mix. As to how far, or what the outcome is going to be for each model / model year, no one knows yet. It's quite likely we will know more on Tuesday. For Canada, YMMV......

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 12:25   #28
oldhifi
Veteran Member

I want a Jeep Pickup:

http://carsintrend.com/wp-content/up...bler-front.jpg
oldhifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 12:31   #29
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhifi View Post
I'd take that, if the rowing capacity wasn't a joke. Great concept though.

Edit: huh. 3,500 lbs now. That's better than I remember it being.

Last edited by bubbagumpshrimp; June 26th, 2016 at 12:33.
bubbagumpshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 14:56   #30
Motley
Veteran Member

Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. No more VW.
Motley is offline   Reply With Quote