Oil pressure specs

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Anyone know what the factory oil pressure specs are? I can't seem to find consistent information on the net. Don't know what to believe.

Thanks,
Earl

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
have you measured your pressure yet? what if any difference have you found between cold and normal operating temp at the 861rpm idle.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Service manual says that the low pressure light is supposed to come on at .55 - .85 bar, or about 8-12psi

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Installed a newsouth performance oil pressure gauge. It likes to stick so I'm trying to get it replaced under warranty. I don't trust it's accuracy at this point, so I plan to compare it to a mechanical test gauge.

Cold idle as high as 80 psi. Depends on the temp. Believe it was 7*F when it was 80. I believe in the 30's it's 50 to 60 psi. I will start paying attention to cold idle pressure.

Hot idle is about 13 psi.

2K RPM hot is about 40.

Just curious what the factory specs are so I know what's good and not. Hoping to verify my gauge with a mechanical test gauge Monday evening.

Thanks,
Earl

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My ALH Vanagon, will go at or above 70 psi with cold engine... Once it is fully warmed up, it will idle 28 psi. Since the gearing requires higher RPMs for given speed, on the road, it generally runs over 40 psi...

I verified the numbers with two other gauges.... basically, all three were the same.

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Thanks for the info! I was worried about my idle running 10 to 13 psi hot. Felt it was on the low side. I did see the spec of 29 psi at 2K hot and I'm plenty good there. I still want to compare the gauge to a mechanical test gauge just to see if it's accurate. Still waiting to hear back from newsouth performance on the warranty for the sticking.

Thanks,
Earl

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Volkswagen has never given an idle speed spec, it is always at 2000 RPMs.

Really, as long as the light is off, you don't have anything to worry about.

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Volkswagen has never given an idle speed spec, it is always at 2000 RPMs.
Really, as long as the light is off, you don't have anything to worry about.
one issue, the light doesn't work at idle! It only activates above idle. You could have zero oil pressure at idle and never know it. Poor design! That's why I added the gauge and also I don't like lights as damage is already done when the light comes on. Also I still have the chain driven bsm and I want to monitor oil pressure until it's replaced. Haven't had time to get with the dealer to have it replaced with the gear drive unit under warranty. Also I believe my cam is going out as well. I need to pull the valve cover and inspect the cam and lifters as well so i can get both done at the same time. Been working 80ish hours a week, so I'm not getting much else done.

Thanks,
Earl

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Just curious which dealer is going to replace your chained BSM under warranty? I would like to make an appointment too.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
So did they tell you they would replace it under warranty?

oilhammer

TDI
one issue, the light doesn't work at idle! It only activates above idle. You could have zero oil pressure at idle and never know it. Poor design! That's why I added the gauge and also I don't like lights as damage is already done when the light comes on. Also I still have the chain driven bsm and I want to monitor oil pressure until it's replaced. Haven't had time to get with the dealer to have it replaced with the gear drive unit under warranty. Also I believe my cam is going out as well. I need to pull the valve cover and inspect the cam and lifters as well so i can get both done at the same time. Been working 80ish hours a week, so I'm not getting much else done.
Thanks,
Earl
It most certainly DOES work at idle, it just uses a timed warning system. They used to have dual pressure switches, now they just do it with one. That's why if you have some issue where the engine cranks but won't start, the oil pressure warning starts to go off.

The system works just fine as designed, no need to reinvent its function.

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
My oil pressure switch for the light won't light the dash light until you Rev the engine up over 1k rpm. As soon as you Rev it up it goes off. I tested this myself You can wait as long as u want at idle but it won't come on. You can also find this mentioned online.
Give it a try.

Thanks,
Earl

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
So did they tell you they would replace it under warranty?
No as I haven't taken the car in yet. The VW warranty covers it as well as the chain and all internally lubricated parts. Others have had them replaced under warranty and I see no issues.

Earl

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
So you are saying the car is still under warranty and VW is going to replace a part in a running engine? Must be something you have not told us. Please let us know how that works out for you.

As for the oil pressure switch, you need to listen to OH. This is how the system is set up. Either your gauge is wrong which means your pressure switch is working fine (most likely), or your pressure switch is bad (not common). One other possibility is where are you getting reading from? I have a VDO gauge and it reads just fine with no issues.

If you don't believe OH, unplug the injector harness at the back of the head and crank the engine for 15 seconds. Guess what will come on? The oil pressure light once it times out for low pressure.

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Yes, car is under warranty. How would I have something fixed under warranty if it's not under warranty? No secrets.

His car maybe but I tested my OEM oil light switch and it would only alarm over 1k rpm on my car. Like I said, I've heard others online say their light doesn't activate at idle as well. I waited and waited and it never alarmed until I throttled the car off of idle. I wanted to make sure the switch and light were working and they were, just not at idle.

Earl

oilhammer

TDI
So, rather than just remedy the problem, you paid for a warranty and are jagging around with a senseless gauge?

Hmmmm.... :p

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Gotta let this one go OH. LOL

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Why worry about oil pressure with a warranty. i'd be more concerned about fiddling with something that would give them an excuse to say you modified the oil pressure system and caused the damage.

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Man you guys are something else. Asked for oil pressure specs and it turns into insult contest. Here I thought this was a good forum.

Earl

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Why worry about oil pressure with a warranty. i'd be more concerned about fiddling with something that would give them an excuse to say you modified the oil pressure system and caused the damage.
Way ahead of you. Gauge can be easily removed with no trace.

Earl

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
So, rather than just remedy the problem, you paid for a warranty and are jagging around with a senseless gauge?
Hmmmm.... :p
Yes you will find lots of ppl like gauges. This is my first vehicle without an oil pressure gauge and I don't like lights. I'm sure they sell millions of gauges so I'm not the only one.
Warranty will remedy all problems that it covers. Including the trans and tc.

Earl

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I've got to admit that after seeing 2 people lose their turbos to low oil pressure before the hex shaft wore enough to give a low pressure light, I've thought about adding an oil pressure gauge.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Man you guys are something else. Asked for oil pressure specs and it turns into insult contest. Here I thought this was a good forum.

Earl
Earl, several people have provided specs (Windex for one), but you choose to ignore it and the wise advice from folks that have owned and worked on them for the past 10-11 years. Most of us have "been there and done that" and our advice reflects that experience (some of it painful and expensive advice). Same on the TCM flash advice. Frankly, IMO, you are asking for trouble by going beyond the "sport" mode programming with this particular engine/transmission set up.

As for the warranty, the collective experience is that VW will not replace a working BSM just because they are known to blow up. Most dealers do not even know about the issue. The 2 near me have never replaced one. If yours will replace it before it implodes then that is great and I wish you the best.

As TS has stated, you are better off leaving things alone and if it implodes, let the warranty take care of it. Usually if the dealer/warranty supplier even gets a hint that you have been monkeying around then they will deny the claim. Another VW stickler is they want to see oil change history or some type of maintenance records to process the claim.

As for the oil pressure switch, as OH has stated and I have the same experience dating back to 1980 (when they had 2 switches), the system works as intended and does a good job. I have not personally seen a switch fail in 35 years (bad wire yes)

Good luck