Heat Only on Driver Side - clogged heater core

VTSKI

TDI
2013 Passat
I was wondering if anybody could help. I've had a lot of issues with my 2013 Passat SE TDI. First the clutch clicked. They changed the whole thing, still clicks. Second the turbo exploded and needed to be replaced at ~18K miles. Third (after replacing the turbo) I noticed that the brake, when I went to get into the care in the AM after it sat overnight, no longer had ANY vacuum left and the car would just roll down a slight incline after popping the clutch. I brought it to the dealer, they said that was normal, when I persisted that it had changed they replaced all the vacuum lines and the check valve. No improvement. They then replaced the whole booster. No improvement. They then said it was normal and they didn't need to do anything else.

Now that car has 37K miles on it an it's cold. I've noticed for awhile now that the heat hasn't been as good as I remembered. We had a cold day down to 5 deg and I noticed it was not even close to as warm as it used to be the prior winter. What is happening is heat is coming out of the drivers side but cold air is blowing out of the passengers. This is the same if it's on floor, dash vent or defrost. I called the dealer and they basically said since the car was over the 36K miles I would need to pay them to take a look at it, diagnose it and fix it.

I wonder if with all the stuff they have done to it they screwed something up under the dash when the replaced to brake booster.

This is the first new car I have ever bought and frankly I'm done with it. It's been in the shop more times then a Saturn I had which I bought used at 80K miles and then drove to 220K miles. I bought it for $4K, Sold it for $1k. It was more reliable then this.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what could be going on with the heat or any way to get VW to help me out. Seems reasonable to expect heat to work for more then 2 years.

Moderator note:

New Technical Service Bulletin: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByxgazxO4YLZd2dEdUpwenhkcjQ/view

Excess flux from the aluminum cooling system components (EA189 TDI engine CKRA) contaminates the cooling system. This over time causes a high acidic concentration in the coolant. The result is oxide particles (aluminum rust) and excess flux restricting the heater core. The engine control module may also set EGR recirculation cooler efficiency fault.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
1. Argue with the dealer and go to VWoA that you couldn't have noticed the issue before 37L because it only happens in the cold.

2. not sure if the heater controls are vacuum operated, but bad brake vac…….

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
All you can do is plead your case up the chain with your servicing dealership. Let the manager know about your displeasure and how it's reasonable that your heat issue is related to all of the other work that has occurred. If they have any thoughts of keeping you as a customer they shouldn't give two ****s about 1K miles over the warranty.

If that fails, move up the chain with a call to VWoA. Detail all of your problems and see what they say. Don't stop with the first person you talk to if you don't get the answer you want. Keep moving up the chain. Be patient, be firm and polite and be determined and I think you will get some relief.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
sounds like blend door issues and a possible thermostat. You need VAG or high end scanner to figure it out anyway.

phat02jetta

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black - Passat, 2013, Black
I'm having the same problem on mine. The dealer says to bring it in for a diagnosis, and that they've seen a "handful" of Passats with this problem and it has always been the heater core.

Did you ever get it fixed?

USAFA04

TDI
2013 Passat SE, 6M
I'm also having the exact same issue. Seems like a blend door issue as I'm still getting heat from one side. Any ideas? Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty.

Bug Smasher

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
There is a TSB for this:
TT 87-11-03 Date: December 16, 2011
2012-2013 Passat with Dual Zone Climatronic – One Zone
Colder / Warmer Than the Other
February 15, 2013:
Update to applicability and information.
For concerns of one zone with no heat or blowing colder / warmer than the other on vehicles with dual zone Climatronic, first check the linkage between the actuator motor V158 and the left temperature blend door for proper installation, and/or damage. Linkage is number labeled 2 in the picture below. If the linkage is ok, proceed with normal diagnostics such as fault code and refrigerant charge checks.

phat02jetta

TDI
Unfortunately, I have the manual hvac controls, and I've looked at the passenger side blend door shaft end: it does turn when I adjust the temperature. It's almost like the passenger side blend flap has broken or come loose from the shaft.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
The TDI has an electric heater in it that heats air until the engine heat is sufficient to take over. IIRC it only heats air in the drivers side, so if the heater core is not functioning and letting hot water through, it would prevent it from providing the normal heat and the cold incoming air would be blown out all vent that are upstream of the electric heater.

Not_Agn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Se TDI
I to have this problem. Manual hvac controls. Engine is operating temp. I've cold air coming from passenger side air duct. All others are warm. Was -6 when I left the house with temp almost to operating temp. Car was running for 25 min. I'm due for an oil change. Will being it to their attention then.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
And of course, my wife complained of this very thing this past weekend. I am still under warrantee so I'll be taking it in in the next few weeks. I'll let you know what they say…...

dopplerfx

TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I was having this exact same issue and I took my car to the dealer to diagnose the problem. The dealer had to order a new heater core (part cost quoted around $40, but was covered under warranty) and gasket/seal pack separately as the heater core did not come with the necessary seals. After they replaced the heater core, everything seems to be back to normal. The service took about 1 day to complete and everything was covered under warranty.

See link to other thread on this issue here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...eft-of-steering-wheel&p=86945880#post86945880

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Started the week out at -8F on my way to work yesterday, of course that's the day mine decided to quit working.... Notice the defrost only melting the snow on the drivers side window yesterday. Oh, well service scheduled for tomorrow, along with my 23N5 software update...

Last edited:

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Started the week out at -8F on my way to work yesterday, of course that's the day mine decided to quit working.... Notice the defrost only melting the snow on the drivers side window yesterday. Oh, well service scheduled for tomorrow, along with my 23N5 software update...

Last edited:

phat02jetta

TDI
Well, the dealer just called: Bad heater core. Parts: $125 Labor: $675
I'm contacting VW now to see if they can help out since I burned out the warranty 2 months ago.

I think $800 every 18 months for a new heater core is a bit too much for maintenance!

Not_Agn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Se TDI
Well, the dealer just called: Bad heater core. Parts: $125 Labor: $675
I'm contacting VW now to see if they can help out since I burned out the warranty 2 months ago.
I think $800 every 18 months for a new heater core is a bit too much for maintenance!

I'm in the same boat. 41000 miles in 19 months. Going to lose it if they tell me they are not helping out with that.

radunegru

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
no Heat on passenger vents

My 2013 Passat tdi SE ( manual HVAC ) blows cold air on passenger side vents. Also there is no air coming out of the rear outlets either. not to mention that temp is in the single digits here in NY state.
The war air coming out of the driver side is not enough to heat up the car.
On top of all just past 36k last week so I am out of warranty.
Please help.

Not_Agn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Se TDI
Join the club! Already a post about this topic. My car goes in tomorrow. Can't wait to hear the prognosis.

Last edited:

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Mod, please move to VTSKI's thread on the same topic.

OP, check out the the other thread. Several of us are seeing failures of the HVAC. So far two members indicate a heater core failure. Mine died yesterday, 47k miles and 15 months old...

quattroginger

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Passat SEL
ABS beat me to it. just read someone else's topic yesterday about same problem except his was driver side. had to replace heater core.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I sure hope this is a batch of bad heat exchangers, and not a design flaw that will impact a large number of vehicles.

radunegru

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I just called VW USA and hopefuly will absorb some of the costs. They had escalated the issue to a manager.
Does anyboidy have an estimate on heater core replacement if that is the case or maybe the bent door or actuator motor?.
Just to make it clear, no airlow on the rear vents (hot or cold)

Last edited:

Not_Agn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Se TDI
Just got back from dropping my car off at the dealer. He said he has to wait for the tech to diagnose and then cross the warranty/no warranty coverage bridge when we get there. I explained I would not be the happiest to get a bill for something that should last a lot longer then 19 months or 41000 miles.suppose to call me with what they find later today.

Last edited:

phat02jetta

TDI
I just called VW USA and hopefuly will absorb some of the costs. They had escalated the issue to a manager.
Does anyboidy have an estimate on heater core replacement if that is the case or maybe the bent door or actuator motor?.
Mine was quoted at $800, still waiting to hear back from VW.....

Not_Agn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Se TDI
For those of you who have called vw. Am I to pay now and wait for vw to pay me back? Something tells me that won't happen? I have a loaner and I'm sure they want that back asap. Our do you just drove the car the way it is until vw gives you the ok for the work?

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Had my software update today and asked them to check Into this as well. It's bloody cold here!

My heater core is also plugged.:confused: 2014 purchased in late October 2013 (15 months ago) with ~47K miles...

Quote for replacement, out the door, was $547.81. I will also be contacting VW. The tech indicated I was the 4th failure he's seen this week, and he has replaced a few dozen since November. He indicated its a known issue and is typically showing up north of 45k miles... I'll repost when I get feedback from VWoA...

Last edited:

Not_Agn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Se TDI
Just got the call from my service writer. Heater core partially plugged. Quoted me $1200 for parts and labor
A huge thank you and appreciation to Bill Jacobs VW of Naperville as well as VW them selves. Out of warranty and absorbing all but $225 of the cost. I can live with that. Bill Jacobs is also providing a loaner until is ready. A brand new passat tdi with 3000 miles. Although it would be bether to have not happened, but like I said I will live with this.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
So has anyone seen an indication of what is causing these heater core "partial plugs". Is it a failing part or assembly crud getting stuck at the smallest restriction? Can they not be back flushed out as part of a coolant system flush?

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
My 2013 is right at 41k. Waiting for my software update letter and watching for the heater issue and how they are being covered now..

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't understand how a bad heater core could cause no heat on one side of the vehicle. I think this is a misdiagnosis.

To me, it sounds like a stuck distribution flap motor that controls heat to the passenger's side. I'll bet you'll see a code with similar wording stored in the HVAC module if you scan with VCDS.