jhax's Built ALH into a MK2 Golf thread

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I don't know why the piston isnt protruding, but I thought I'd mention that the proper way to measure piston protrusion is on the sides of the piston in-line with the wrist pin. Otherwise the piston may rock slightly in its cylinder and throw off your measurements.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Really? It seems to me like that would put the gauge in the valve pockets which are flush with the top of the block or are you referring to the very top of the piston on either side of the wrist pin?

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Really? It seems to me like that would put the gauge in the valve pockets which are flush with the top of the block or are you referring to the very top of the piston on either side of the wrist pin?
Ah I didn't even notice that you had oversized valve pockets or something going on there. On the stock ALH pistons its possible to measure where I said.

I suppose for you, measuring as close you can get to the centerline of the wrist pin without falling into the valve pockets would be the most accurate?

The problem with the way you are doing it is that you can take the piston and rock it back and forth a bit in the bore and your numbers will vary by a decent amount. So just whatever you can do to avoid that.

I think here might be your best bet

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Ill give it a shot next time I pull the block out, waiting on new rings and a tapered ring compressor to arrive.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Honesty the way you're doing it is probably fine, but I just thought I'd mention it to maybe save you the grief of getting the wrong head gasket.

Very weird that the one piston doesn't protrude.

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
that crosshatch on the cylinder pic looks awful. I can see the grit still all over the cylinder and the crosshatch is too flat. needs to be peaked more. I would get re honed and scrub the heck out of it with hot soapy water till a white rag can be rubbed in cylinder and come out spotless.
Can you feel the little groove at top of cylinder where you were concerned about it?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Really? Is it that bad? I had the cylinders re-bored to fit the oversize pistons a few years ago when I first bought it. I don't recall being able to feel the scratch but if I'm going to end up re-honing the cylinders I guess it doesn't really matter does it?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Don't forget, you're talking to a bunch of armchair experts ;)

I don't see any issues - the little marks I do see on the cylinder are above any ring lands.

Make sure the piston protrusion is correct. Measure carefully, if that one is still low, pull the rods and compare, pull pistons and compare, swap holes, etc.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright will do, thanks.

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
Don't forget, you're talking to a bunch of armchair experts ;)

I don't see any issues - the little marks I do see on the cylinder are above any ring lands.

Make sure the piston protrusion is correct. Measure carefully, if that one is still low, pull the rods and compare, pull pistons and compare, swap holes, etc.
I take slight offense to that. Lol. I am a Journeyman Millwright and know a little bit about cylinder crosshatches. Those dont look good. And if you can put a white cloth down the bore and it comes out dirty, dont be surprised when your rings are failing very early in their life. But hey, what do I know.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
After getting two new ring sets shipped from Rock Auto (79 + .5mm) and a tapered ring compressor we are back on track. Turns out this guy forgot to put a rod bearing into the number 2 the piston now protrudes just fine. Got my measurements with the engine level and they were vastly different than the ones I got with the engine just hanging out on the stand. Pictures!

Block girdle on, measurements taken.

Should I be greasing the rod bearing surface since it's not a place oil will go? Oil will stay on the other side of the bearing where the crank journal is so it would make sense to lube the concave side.

So pretty

Here are the numbers for the pistons. I measured on either side of the pin.

So it would seem that I need a two hole gasket, but I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 3 due to the oversized cam and better safe than sorry.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I lubed all bearings on both sides when assembling them, fwiw.

When you measure the piston protrusion on the front and back, you rock the piston. See the point where the valve pockets are cut through? Measure your clearances on those 4 points to get your piston projection/protrusion. Having a 0.1mm delta on a single piston seems a bit high. If memory serves, I have 0.028" on one, 0.033" on 2 pistons and 0.038" projection on another, am, which equates to ~0.75mm, ~0.83mm, and ~0.97mm projections.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Rock the piston as in turn the crank CW then CCW then CW then CCW and measure every time? That's what I was doing if that's what you are referring to.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
The piston has a little bit of play on the pivot of the wrist pin so it can be slightly rotated/rocked/tilted, without moving the crank, towards the front of the engine and to the back of the engine. Hope that explains it better

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
It does, measure, push toward back (toward cyl 4), measure again, pull forward (toward cyl 1), repeat for all 4 areas (either side of the wrist pin and either end of the wrist pin).

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
A thousand good evenings everyone. I am back in it again. After talking with a reputable TDI mechanic about my power goals I have decided to de-scope the project. Which means I no longer need the block girdle. I think I made an inquiry as to where the one main cap bearing that contains a journal and a hole goes and I just want to confirm that the correct position is on main cap 4 due to the intermediate shaft lubrication. Is this correct? Anyway, I bought new main studs, and a new oil pump kit which will complete the bottom end with the exception of the oil pan. I also managed to find a new 120 amp Bosch alternator for $75 so Im pretty excited about that.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

All prepped ready for paint tomorrow. So excited.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I hadnt thought of painting the components. Pain in the ass to properly paint aluminum. My goal is to pay homage to the original 1.6Ds since they came from the factory with that color, or something very similar. I want my car to whisper, "sleeper" and still maintain a "factory" look. How's our swap coming along? I peeked on your thread the other day and noticed you got it running, congratulations! That is very exciting.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright good people, persuede me....

Polyacrilyc (http://techtonicstuning.com/main/in...ct_info&cPath=2_14_101_427_585&products_id=80)

Viton (http://techtonicstuning.com/main/in...ct_info&cPath=2_14_101_427_585&products_id=81)

I know viton is great for diesel fuel, can I use the viton for both intake and exhaut valves although they are sold separately?

These look like viton as well and they're cheaper (http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/027109675)

Something tells me TT doesnt manufacture their seals.

Also I am looking for upper and lower valve spring seats and valve springs. I believe I can get higher pressure springs and or upper AND lower seats. I cannot find dick when it comes to searching for ALH upper spring seats/retainers but from what I have read they are the same throughout all engines. I found part number 21109641C for the upper spring seats. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thank You,
Justin

Justin

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Right, did some reading and sent Frank an email.

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Three years and 8 months later I have the short block. It's been a long time coming and i still have a long way to go but it feels fantastic...

New oil pump installed

Oil pan baffle

Front and main PTFE seals and hybrid oil pan installed. Also installed the water pump.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Updates to come soon.......

And now the updates. Got the head being ported and polished at the local head guy's place. Exhaust gasket matched. Got myself an AFN exhaust manifold which will be sand blasted. Colt stage 2 cam is in the mail. Need springs and spring retainers still. Got a down payment on a GTC1549VB, waiting for that GBP to go down a bit more prior to paying. Next big purchase (once more waiting for that there GBP) is the intake manifold. Photos to come.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

Cam arrived.

lowl1f3

TDI
'03 tdi
Did you have Any fitment issues with those rods? It looks as though integrated engineering switched to a different design and no longer sell those rods.
I.E. Recommends a different part number and different looking set of rods.

I can get my hands on a set that look like yours for less than the new ones, but just concerned that there is no issues with fitment.
Thanks.
And we'll done on keeping up with updates on your build. Will be excited to see a running video.

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited: