Michelin A/S 235/45/18

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
So I have put on 3k miles with these tires. Being in central FL, the tires have been awesome in the rain. They grip the road extremely well and are quiet.

I will say the only downside to owning these tires is that I've taken a big 5mpg hit. I drive the same way, and didn't want to jump to conclusions, but after a lot of fill ups and 3k miles, mpg is definitely down. I will take the trade off for now, because I can still make it to work all week with 1 tank, but barely. Next round I may go back to the Procontacts. I was told I'd take a small hit with MPG, because they are wider, but didn't expect this much of an MPG loss.

Tried to find a tire thread, but couldn't find one. I have always wanted to try this tire, and overall I am happy.

Anyone else have these tires? I have had great luck with Michelin tires and wet traction. Would Michelin Energy Savers produce the same results as my Procontacts, or would they be similar to my Premier A/S?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Pirelli P7’s on my 2015 Passat TDI (buyback vehicle) and love it! Excellent MPG. Averaging 45-47 mpg. Discarded her OEM conti’s at 22k miles. Now 32k and silky smooth like a brand new Passat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Old Conti’s vibrated at 75-80 mph. Pirelli P7’s, zero vibrations. A tad better MPG than oem tires.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Check out Michelin defenders rated for 90,000 miles thread life and very low roll resistance. I had them on my 2009 JSW TDI and got great mileage. I put 35,000 mi on them before the buy back and they looked new.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I when with the Michelin tires, myself.

We have had two potholes incidents that destroyed some of the Continentals. I have never had issues like this with any tires I have ever had. So, I went with the Michelins and it has been great since. We have taken a few bad potholes without issues. Where I live... the roads have been like a war zone since winter. It is pretty scary that it is almost Fall and they haven't all been repaired.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
What psi did you set them on?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting. I tend to set them at 38.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
My A/S's are only two weeks old and I'm using the onboard computer for mileage. I'm seeing about a 3MPG drop.

I'm doing the same. In the same conditions I definitely have noticed a huge drop. I need to check what PSI Discount Tire set them at. I honestly haven't even checked, or asked.

This morning I drove 62-65mph all the way to Orlando International Airport and only was getting 55mpg. I would have easily seen 60+mpg with my old tires the way I drove today. It was super early in the morning with little traffic, which is why I drove 62mph in the right lane at certain times. Almost zero stops the whole way there.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Pirelli P7’s on my 2015 Passat TDI (buyback vehicle) and love it! Excellent MPG. Averaging 45-47 mpg. Discarded her OEM conti’s at 22k miles. Now 32k and silky smooth like a brand new Passat.

I had the Pirelli P7's on our 2010 Jetta TDI we used to have, and wasn't a fan of them. IIRC, I think mpg actually went down some over the MXM4's we originally had. I didn't like how the P7's handled in the rain either. I also want to say we only got about 55k miles out of them (believe they were rated for 70k). That might not necessarily be a bad thing, because most of the driving was in the city. I could give them a try down the road, but I'll probably go with Michelin Energy Saver next time. I forgot Michelin had an economy tire, so I'd actually give that a try before the Procontacts again.

Last edited:

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I have michelin primacy 215/55r17 on my beetle, replaced at 47,000 miles. From purchase at 9800 miles to replacement: 39.87 mpg, 3,000 miles after tire replacement 39.36 mpg (before modification). Passat has 235/45r18 michelin primacy (replaced at 45,445) - first 3,000 miles 38.91 mpg - next 16,000 miles (now at 65,124 modification done at 50,042) - 40.62 mpg. Primacy are quiet and good in the rain.

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The original Contis on my 2014 SEL lasted me around 63K miles.
Now, the replacement Contis (from the dealership), after around 40K are in really bad shape: wall issues, one tire with a blown tire, another shows signs of about to go down too.
So which tires do you recommend for NC? (lots of rain, most of the 100K miles on secondary roads at 60mph)
Thank you in advance

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I've determined the next time I buy tires, I'm switching from the 18" rims to a 17" on one of my 2 Passats. It'll be a while, I just bought a set for the one I'm looking to switch out.

The 18s ride nicely, but not at the cost of a more limited on tire selection.

Honestly-- I'd like to try the Michelin Cross Climate.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...Year=2015&autoModel=Passat TDI&autoModClar=SE

A 600 UTQG tire with a A/A Traction/Temperature rating. And Impressive snow/rain and dry handling.

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
The original Contis on my 2014 SEL lasted me around 63K miles.
Now, the replacement Contis (from the dealership), after around 40K are in really bad shape: wall issues, one tire with a blown tire, another shows signs of about to go down too.
So which tires do you recommend for NC? (lots of rain, most of the 100K miles on secondary roads at 60mph)
Thank you in advance

I'm one for the Pirellis.

Had 3 sets of Continentals on multiple vehicles, each one had problems.
Switched to P7s after the factory Conis went bad and a replacement set of the same refused to balance. I've put about 5k on the Pirellis so far, they balance nicely, are quiet, and seem to be long-lasting. I think treadwear warranty was ~70k. I have noticed in the rain they can lose grip, but likely caused by my heavy foot from a stoplight and not from the tires. Once I'm going, not an issue.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Check out Michelin defenders rated for 90,000 miles thread life and very low roll resistance. I had them on my 2009 JSW TDI and got great mileage. I put 35,000 mi on them before the buy back and they looked new.
I had the Defenders on my old Jetta which was sold to a friend a couple of years ago. He reports they are not holding up well - won't get 90K out of them and fuel economy is not spectacular. He will be going with Continentals when it's time for new tires.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Most comments I've read about Continentals is that they are inconsistent from one set to another. I've also noticed that people tend to confuse the tires since they share similar names.

Tire and Mileage Rating

1. True Contact Tour, (80k),

2. Pure Contact LS, (70k)

3. Control Contact Tour A/S Plus, (70k)

4. TrueContact (90k)

5. Pure Contact (70k)

6. Conti-Pro Contact (80k)

7 ProContact GX, No Mileage rating (500 UTQG)

8. ProContact RX No mileage rating (400 UTQG)

9. Pro Contact TX, (55k)

10. Sure Contact RX. (50k)

Each one has a different treadwear rating, and mileage expectation.