Oil pump "lifetime" belt

rams2500

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I looking to upgrade my 06 Jetta tdi to a Passat. I've been doing some research on the new ea288 engine. 130,000 service interval on the timing belt is a good thing. I'm just concerned about that oil pump drive belt that runs in oil. What happens to people that own these cars up to 200-300,000 miles. Can't believe that belt will run that long. Can't be an easy job servicing that belt. Anyone seen or worked on these engines yet?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I have 230,000 miles on mine without any issue with the oil belt.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nobody will have any long term info regarding the oil runner belt on this particular application, however Honda's GX/GC engines have been using them to run the camshaft for a decade or more now, never heard of any problems with those.

Last edited:

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
All just down to material choice. Once you have an oil proof elastomer, the mechanical conditions are very favourable — lots of lubrication fluid, one material much harder than the other and the softer being resilient as well.

Yours
Vern

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Change the belt when the TB is done? OH, how hard is it to change the oil pump belt?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Never done one, LOL.

Book time is 3.5hr for both the drive belt OR the pump, but it sure looks like it would take a lot more time than that, due to the dual oil pans both having to come off.

I think 10 years from now we'll laugh about any concern over this oil pump drive belt, since I'd bet 20 other things will be much more common to have to deal with.