www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 18th, 2018, 08:26   #151
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

I don't recall seeing this posted, but Phase 2A seems to have eliminated the slight flat spot during light acceleration from a stop. Generally smoother throttle response overall. This is a 6-speed and I only have Phase 1 as a reference point (i.e., its a stop-sale car).
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 11:13   #152
gustave59

Default Vibration at high speed

I just bought a GSW, manual trans, 20k miles. I formerly had a 2014 JSW. I'm mostly happy with the performance of the car but I am noticing a bit of engine vibration at high speed and also when driving up hills. At idle and driving at low speeds the overall driving experience is smoother than the JSW. I seem to recall reading that one of the effects of the modification might be a bit more engine vibration. Has anyone noticed or heard anything similar? Could it just be the difference between the Gen 1 Gen 3 TDI engines?
gustave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 12:33   #153
740GLE
Veteran Member

with increased nose, comes a slight increase in vibration.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:30   #154
volksjaeger
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulN View Post
I'm noticing various discrepancies... can we pause for a moment and nail down a few things?
- the whole thing about phase 2A and 2B... the 40K mile / 70K miles determination for whether you get 2A or 2B applies ONLY to cars that were purchased with the phase 1 already done - they get 2A. They back later after the car has 70K miles for 2A.
Did you mean "Then back later after the car has 70K miles for 2B" ?
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S Nightblue 6MT
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI Reflex Silver, 5MT
volksjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 15:05   #155
PaulN

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjaeger View Post
Did you mean "Then back later after the car has 70K miles for 2B" ?

Yeah, from the approved emissions notice for generation 3 TDI phase 2...

"If you purchased a vehicle with the Phase 1 emissions modification already applied and your vehicle has accumulated fewer than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, we will not replace the Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter in your vehicle at that time and we request that you return at a future date for its replacement once your vehicle has accumulated at least 70,000 miles. At the time of this service, you will receive a complimentary maintenance service with a free tank of fuel and have the aforementioned hardware installed at that time."
PaulN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 15:30   #156
PaulN

Update...

First week of post phase 2B I came to notice a peculiar variation in the correspondence between the accelerator pedal and the RPMs. Sometimes I seemed to get more RPMs than I expected, other times less, sometimes a lot less to the point where the pedal depression was way more than normal.

Initially I thought perhaps the car's adjustment to the update simply needed to few drive cycles, but it got worst and finally the OBD threw a check engine light.

The dealer service people determined that the problem was independent of the phase 2B; one of the fuel sensors on the rail was erroneously overstating and the engine control was trying to adjust to that incorrect report. The whole rail is the unit of replacement, so it gets replaced.

My car was out of manufacturer's warranty (but only 10 days); so they elected there would be no cost to me, which was wonderful.

While I was there I checked on my prepaid scheduled service I bought two years ago in anticipation of the first time I will begin to use it about a year from now. After one of the people there had made about a dozen phone calls it was determined that somehow my plan had never been activated... The plan has a 50K from inception span, so he arraigned that when I come to pick up my fixed car, the inception and span would be reset to that date, also wonderful.

Looking forward to finally finding out how the phase 2B works with the car.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 17:32   #157
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulN View Post
Update...
First week of post phase 2B I came to notice a peculiar variation in the correspondence between the accelerator pedal and the RPMs. Sometimes I seemed to get more RPMs than I expected, other times less, sometimes a lot less to the point where the pedal depression was way more than normal.
Initially I thought perhaps the car's adjustment to the update simply needed to few drive cycles, but it got worst and finally the OBD threw a check engine light.
The dealer service people determined that the problem was independent of the phase 2B; one of the fuel sensors on the rail was erroneously overstating and the engine control was trying to adjust to that incorrect report. The whole rail is the unit of replacement, so it gets replaced.
My car was out of manufacturer's warranty (but only 10 days); so they elected there would be no cost to me, which was wonderful.
While I was there I checked on my prepaid scheduled service I bought two years ago in anticipation of the first time I will begin to use it about a year from now. After one of the people there had made about a dozen phone calls it was determined that somehow my plan had never been activated... The plan has a 50K from inception span, so he arraigned that when I come to pick up my fixed car, the inception and span would be reset to that date, also wonderful.
Looking forward to finally finding out how the phase 2B works with the car.
Please also post the fuel rail sensor issue in the Mk 7 Common Issues and Resolutions section.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 06:05   #158
Borsig

fuel rail is covered under the warranty from the fix anyway. the entire fuel delivery system is, I think.

You would have been covered regardless.

Borsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 14:24   #159
PaulN

I will post in the Mk 7 Common Issues and Resolutions section in a few days, when I can quote part numbers and the service notes.
Old September 25th, 2018, 18:44   #160
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

Happy...
Finely got my phase 2 done last Friday/Saturday AM, and after a couple days, can say I am happy.
Subtle changes, yes, but more like when it was new.
ZippyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 05:45   #161
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
Just completed my first fuel refill since having Phase 2A Emissions Modification completed. Drive 823 miles, pumped in 17.45 gallons, for a hand-calc 47.17 MPG (prior best ever was 47.76 MPG hand-calc, and average since taking ownership in Nov 2017 prior to Phase 2A modification was 41.82 MPG. I will need a few more refills to determine if actual MPG went up / stayed same / dropped. But it is a good sign so far.

Also, regarding difference between display and hand-calc (to determine if the display calibration was in some way altered at Phase 2A), my average display reading prior to Phase 2A was 4.03% higher than hand-calc; on this single post Phase 2A fuel up, the display read 5.36% higher. I only had one previous time when the display showed a higher value greater than 5% above hand-calc, and that just happened to be the refill just prior to the Phase 2A emissions modification. So I'm not sure if I can say there is a calibration difference on what the display shows for MPG vs. hand-calc or not yet - will need several more fuel-ups to get some more data.

I would say there are no perceivable differences of any type pre & post Phase 2A.

So all-in-all, no ill effects from having Phase 2A completed. There is potential the fuel mileage could be slightly higher - we'll see.
I've now completed 3 fill-ups since having Phase 2A done on my 2.0L Gen 3 2015 Passat (DSG). These 3 fill-ups yielded 3 of my top 4 MPG (hand-calc) values since owning the car (17 fill-ups since picked up in Nov 2017). Granted the early ones were started at the end of fall and through winter, so the results need to take this factor into consideration. I would need to see what the fall/winter results are compared to last year, but at this time, I would say fuel efficiency is no worse that it was after Phase 1, with a good chance it is slightly better.

On the display calibration, before Phase 2A, my display read 4.03% higher than hand-calc. In my 3 fill-ups after Phase 2A, my display read 5.39% higher. I'm getting my Cenex Roadmaster XL diesel fuel from a different station now, as my original cooperative changed hands and I didn't get a clear understanding if they stayed with Cenex Roadmaster XL fuel or went with something else. I could try one tank there at the pump I normally used before to see if that gets me back to a display read of 4% higher or not. I'll likely do that at my next refill.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 11:36   #162
The Tortoise
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if an alignment is needed following the phase 2 fix? I remember reading that it was but can't find the reference.

I hit a pothole and need to get one done but if it's included in the fix I'll save the $100.
The Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 07:35   #163
joshuafail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
Does anyone know if an alignment is needed following the phase 2 fix? I remember reading that it was but can't find the reference.

I hit a pothole and need to get one done but if it's included in the fix I'll save the $100.
No, one wasnt completed on mine. Id get it done after the fix, since the front end is dropped to access the DPF.
joshuafail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:50   #164
Demo3
Veteran Member

So... I have had my 15 GSW back 2 days now after the phase 2 fix. They also fixed a def leak and after everything was complete it took them a week (Wednesday to Wednesday) to get it back to me. First impression is that the shifting has changed.
Old October 20th, 2018, 17:27   #165
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

I called to make my appointment for phase 2 and was told there was a shortage on a certain part. They said they’d call me back by end of day, but never did. I was hoping to get this done soon, because I’m at a time to get my oil changed. I’ll call Monday to see what they say.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote