www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 17th, 2018, 15:57   #1
Lincoln
Veteran Member

Default PSA: Reset oil change interval after Phase II oil change

Although my Passat had an oil change as part of the Phase II fix a few thousand miles ago, my car recently notified me that an oil change is required. I confirmed that a change had been done, but it seems they did not reset the oil change interval reminder at the time. So now I will have to just remember to get the next change 10,000 miles after the fix, rather than getting a reminder. So, here's my PSA:

If you get an oil change with Phase II, be sure to reset the interval yourself or check that the dealer did.

It takes about 10 seconds to do yourself (with a key ignition anyway; I don't know the procedure for push-button ignitions): Simple press and hold the trip reset button with the car off, then turn the ignition to the accessory position (still holding the reset button), and hit "Okay" when it asks if you want to reset the oil change interval. Easy day.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 05:34   #2
bglf83

TDI(s): Jetta

Are you 100% sure they changed the oil?
bglf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 08:51   #3
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglf83 View Post
Agreed with this. Usually dealer shops have a checklist for oil changes for individual models, and everything on the checklist needs to be checked before releasing to the owner. It would be very unusual these days for a dealer shop not to reset the oil change interval reminder.

What does your receipt say? Mine clearly shows on the receipt that the oil change was completed. If your receipt doesn't show an oil change, and if you don't have the usual sticker in the windshield showing you the approx date/mileage for the next oil change, I don't think you got an oil change.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 08:57   #4
740GLE
Veteran Member

that's what they said, why would anyone question their work?

hahahah
740GLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 09:03   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

And the SRI could have been forgot for ANY service that would have required it, this isn't really anything tied to any fix.
Old September 18th, 2018, 09:22   #6
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

This is why I had my Phase 2 done with my 80K mile service.
scooperhsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 12:58   #7
Lincoln
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
And the SRI could have been forgot for ANY service that would have required it, this isn't really anything tied to any fix.
You're correct. But normally if they forget to reset the interval, you'd notice immediately (because it would still say you need an oil change). So it's only if oil is changed OUTSIDE the regular interval, like during the fix, that this would be an issue.
Old September 19th, 2018, 13:03   #8
Lincoln
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, the fix was done right before I bought it CPO. They did provide me with an invoice showing the oil change had been done, but it's not really possible to be 100% certain. Unfortunately there's no window sticker since they had to replace the windshield as part of the CPO process, after the oil change had already been (supposedly?) done.
Old September 20th, 2018, 13:57   #9
bglf83

TDI(s): Jetta

I check my oil at fill ups. Its pretty clean for 500 miles. Not sure if that helps.
bglf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 10:33   #10
Lincoln
Veteran Member

Quote:
I check my oil at fill ups. Its pretty clean for 500 miles. Not sure if that helps.
I'll probably just check the level to see if it looks low - other than that, I'm not aware of any simple way to tell if it was changed since it would certainly look dark by now anyway.