PSA: Reset oil change interval after Phase II oil change

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Although my Passat had an oil change as part of the Phase II fix a few thousand miles ago, my car recently notified me that an oil change is required. I confirmed that a change had been done, but it seems they did not reset the oil change interval reminder at the time. So now I will have to just remember to get the next change 10,000 miles after the fix, rather than getting a reminder. So, here's my PSA:

If you get an oil change with Phase II, be sure to reset the interval yourself or check that the dealer did.

It takes about 10 seconds to do yourself (with a key ignition anyway; I don't know the procedure for push-button ignitions): Simple press and hold the trip reset button with the car off, then turn the ignition to the accessory position (still holding the reset button), and hit "Okay" when it asks if you want to reset the oil change interval. Easy day.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Are you 100% sure they changed the oil?
Agreed with this. Usually dealer shops have a checklist for oil changes for individual models, and everything on the checklist needs to be checked before releasing to the owner. It would be very unusual these days for a dealer shop not to reset the oil change interval reminder.

What does your receipt say? Mine clearly shows on the receipt that the oil change was completed. If your receipt doesn't show an oil change, and if you don't have the usual sticker in the windshield showing you the approx date/mileage for the next oil change, I don't think you got an oil change.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
that's what they said, why would anyone question their work?

hahahah

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And the SRI could have been forgot for ANY service that would have required it, this isn't really anything tied to any fix.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
And the SRI could have been forgot for ANY service that would have required it, this isn't really anything tied to any fix.
You're correct. But normally if they forget to reset the interval, you'd notice immediately (because it would still say you need an oil change). So it's only if oil is changed OUTSIDE the regular interval, like during the fix, that this would be an issue.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you 100% sure they changed the oil?
Well, the fix was done right before I bought it CPO. They did provide me with an invoice showing the oil change had been done, but it's not really possible to be 100% certain. Unfortunately there's no window sticker since they had to replace the windshield as part of the CPO process, after the oil change had already been (supposedly?) done.

bglf83

TDI
Jetta
I check my oil at fill ups. Its pretty clean for 500 miles. Not sure if that helps.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
I check my oil at fill ups. Its pretty clean for 500 miles. Not sure if that helps.
I'll probably just check the level to see if it looks low - other than that, I'm not aware of any simple way to tell if it was changed since it would certainly look dark by now anyway.