www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 20th, 2018, 08:31   #421
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZ TDI View Post
Yep, traded in my 2011 TDI Jetta last year. New car? A 2015 Jetta TDI! With the buyback, the "goodwill" money, and the Bosch money, I just had to pay the sales tax!
And, best part, I still get to drive a TDI! Best engine made for my driving! I just ignore all the political posturing and bloviating that went on. The TDI IS a clean Diesel! No sooty black smoke, nor any Diesel stink.
That was my original plan too. But I'm now leaning toward a 2015 gas Passat with the 1.8T engine. I've driven it. The TDI feels better off the line, but once you're going 15 - 20 mph, the gasser feels just fine, even faster than the TDI. Ideally, I'd like to get the Passat TDI rather than the TSI, but they go for a $2,000 - $3,000 premium, and I don't drive enough annually to recoup that on fuel savings.

Plus, I have this feeling that diesels are going to fall out of favor over the next few years (I think it's already happening), and I won't get that premium back on trade-in or sale a few years down the road.
DieselMann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2018, 16:15   #422
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB36 View Post
We'll be lucky to see 30 mpg with the A4,
I may have spoken too soon here. Only three fill-ups so far, but averaging 33 mpg. Not close to the A3, but better than I'd thought.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 08:05   #423
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

While I already replaced our 2010 Jetta TDI with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL, I just took my car to get phase 2 done. They gave me a VW Jetta Wolfsburg edition as a loaner till they are done. Not sure of the year, but this thing gets awesome mileage. I’m assuming it is a 1.4l, but it still will pick up and go. Not a fan of all the hard plastic inside, but it does get great mpg’s. I actually like this motor more than my wife’s 2017 Passat SE with the 1.8l.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 08:17   #424
toneman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW

My brother gave me the same report. He road tripped with a friend about a thousand miles in a 1.4t Jetta last weekend and saw 44mpg. Better than the older Prius he usually takes on the trip and no perceived power difference over his 1.8t 2016 Jetta.
toneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 08:46   #425
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneman View Post
My brother gave me the same report. He road tripped with a friend about a thousand miles in a 1.4t Jetta last weekend and saw 44mpg. Better than the older Prius he usually takes on the trip and no perceived power difference over his 1.8t 2016 Jetta.

Did the 1.4T start with the 2017 MY?
Old October 26th, 2018, 08:52   #426
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Well, I finally bought my replacement car: a 2017 CPO Passat SE gasser with 28k miles. Still have 8k left on the mfr's warranty, and then two more years of CPO warranty. Kinda like it, but it definitely doesn't have that sure footed somewhat sporty feel of the Jetta. However, a lot of it (not all of it) could be the tires. The Passat has the OEM Conti Pro Contact TX, the Jetta has the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06, a much better tire.

Still have the Jetta TDI. BB appt is in 10 days. I may as well drive it rather than put miles on the new Passat.
Old October 27th, 2018, 09:04   #427
Tom_B
Veteran Member

We replaced our 2009 Touareg TDI with a 2014 Touareg TDI. We later also bought a 2014 A6 TDI when we completed the 09 buyback.

Last edited by Tom_B; October 27th, 2018 at 13:27.
Tom_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2018, 17:25   #428
cyclopropene

TDI(s): 12 Golf DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselMann99 View Post
Well, I finally bought my replacement car: a 2017 CPO Passat SE gasser with 28k miles. Still have 8k left on the mfr's warranty, and then two more years of CPO warranty. Kinda like it, but it definitely doesn't have that sure footed somewhat sporty feel of the Jetta. However, a lot of it (not all of it) could be the tires. The Passat has the OEM Conti Pro Contact TX, the Jetta has the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06, a much better tire.
Still have the Jetta TDI. BB appt is in 10 days. I may as well drive it rather than put miles on the new Passat.
Sounds good.

I looked at a 16 Golf TSI SEL today for the second time thinking I might make an offer to replace my 12 Golf DSG. Awful weather here today and lo and behold the sunroof was leaking badly (soaked into headliner, dripping on seat).

I liked the car a lot, only problems otherwise were the auto transmission (especially at low speed for me--I like engine braking) and a bit of noticeable turbo lag. I can live with it, though, as in the gas world there is still life after 4000 rpm.

But this was not a CPO and I left. Dealer said they would "fix" it. I walked.
Am I wrong? Would you try to fix a leaking sunroof on an otherwise very nice looking, clean car? Red flag to me but now I'm wondering. Price was good...
cyclopropene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2018, 18:28   #429
toneman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW

Quote:
Did the 1.4T start with the 2017 MY?

Pretty sure it was 2016, but brother has a 2016 1.8T and took the road trip in his buddy's 2019 Jetta 1.4T.
toneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 10:45   #430
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopropene View Post

I looked at a 16 Golf TSI SEL today for the second time thinking I might make an offer to replace my 12 Golf DSG. Awful weather here today and lo and behold the sunroof was leaking badly (soaked into headliner, dripping on seat).

. . . .

But this was not a CPO and I left. Dealer said they would "fix" it. I walked.
Am I wrong? Would you try to fix a leaking sunroof on an otherwise very nice looking, clean car? Red flag to me but now I'm wondering. Price was good...

Usually, a leaking sunroof is because the channel is clogged with dirt and the water is overflowing out of the drain holes. An easy fix. Was it a VW dealer or a used car dealer?
Old October 29th, 2018, 17:20   #431
cyclopropene

TDI(s): 12 Golf DSG

Quote:
Usually, a leaking sunroof is because the channel is clogged with dirt and the water is overflowing out of the drain holes. An easy fix. Was it a VW dealer or a used car dealer?
This was a used car dealer, not a VW dealer.
I remember reading complaints about the JSW sunroofs. Maybe I'm overreacting.
cyclopropene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2018, 05:30   #432
elcid86
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopropene View Post
This was a used car dealer, not a VW dealer.
I remember reading complaints about the JSW sunroofs. Maybe I'm overreacting.
Not if it stained the headliner...
Old October 30th, 2018, 05:41   #433
elcid86
Veteran Member

Well, we kept our '15 Golf TDI for now, but my wife wanted something different (she never liked the white car or the "dirty diesel". She ended up loving a Subaru Outback Limited. I found a pretty good deal on an '18 CPO and we drove 4.5 hours to just outside of Pittsburg a few weeks ago to take delivery (dealer would not ship it). The car is immaculate even with 21k on the clock and the wife is happy... I'm now the primary driver of the VW.