racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Fag has factories in China as do many other known brands. I would trust a FAG made china brand as I bet they are made to the right specs. Bosch is trustworthy that way too regardless of source country. Hard earned name recognition and quality are important to them.

There is a company in town here that builds portable table saw tables for use in construction. I bought one myself at the recommend of a contractor I know and it proved to be excellent in every way, well built and accurate. I knew a guy that worked at that company and he told me that they had gotten a chance to build a part for Bosch for some machine that they were making. It was a plastic guard part and they had the plastic extruding machine they used on their own stuff too so they submitted a prototype part built to Bosch specified dimensions for approval. Bosch rejected their prototype in the end citing quality issues.

I was impressed since I know the companies build quality and they were not up to Bosch standards. I was glad to learn that quality still mattered to Bosch even for one simple part. As far as I can see they have not sold their souls to the devil yet unlike some other companies whose names I had trusted once.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Have you received the ECS product yet? I'll be interested in its country of manufacture.

See post above. Most major VW OE suppliers (Mann, Behr, Valeo, LUK, FAG, Sachs, to name a few) have facilities in China. Think about it: VW sells many, many more cars in China than North America. It makes sense for their suppliers to manufacture there.

I agree that a reputable manufacturer with good systems and controls can manufacture to their specifications in China. It's the no-name makers that you should be careful of.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Not all Chinese replacement auto parts are C-R-A-P. Often times shoddy quality can be traced to the parent company's wishes to save money and get it done fast.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Boeing has some wings made in China. Part of the deal to get them to buy Boeing planes.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Not all Chinese replacement auto parts are C-R-A-P. Often times shoddy quality can be traced to the parent company's wishes to save money and get it done fast.
Well, yes they are Chinese Replacement Auto Parts. The thing is that the contracting manufacturer can get any quality that a contracting manufacturer specifies. Look how well made Milwaukee Chinese made power tools are.
The rub comes when a Chinese company puts legit names on substandard forged parts. Those are the parts you have to avoid.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If it was a poor quality fake they'd probably put "Made in Germany" on the box.

You'd know after it failed in three days that it was a sub-standard fake.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Kind of like the CRAP 3bar MAP sensors that came out a few years ago, they said Bosch and were almost perfect to look at, but the harness clips did not work well, and the mounting rings were wrong too.