News on the next Tiguan

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Performance is another strong point. The C30 hits 60mph in less than nine seconds and offers fuel economy of 49.6mpg. The handling feels firmer than the Focus, with which the Volvo shares its chassis, but even on bumpy UK roads the ride is still comfortable and the pay-off is excellent agility. The steering is well weighted and accurate, if lacking the sharpness of the Ford.

The only fly in the ointment is the price – our SE model costs a little over £19,000, which is a lot for a small car with four seats and a tiny boot.
Too bad about it being on the Focus chassis. My parents had their rear control arms replaced under warranty on their Focus ZTW wagon after going through a set of tires in only 13,000 miles. Short tire life is common on Focuses (Foci?) because of the poor suspension.

£19,000 = US$38k. If that's true.....NO THANKS! You can buy a lot of extra fuel, or get something more luxurious or sporty, or get a lot more interior space for that kind of moolah...

(also remember that this is a UK site, so 50mpg is in imperial gallons...probably more like 42mpg in U.S. gallons)

Last edited:

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle Blue and 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
From Autoweek: "Pitching the car as an entry-luxury urban commuter with an inline four-cylinder engine and a sticker price of around $23,000.

Sacrificing some volume but gaining performance credibility by equipping the C30 with a turbocharged five-cylinder engine for around $25,000.

Loading it up with gadgetry and all-wheel drive and pricing it at around $30,000."

Next clarification, about C30:
Vehicles currently using this platform include the following:
Future C1 vehicles:
Lastly, even at 42 mpg, it is still economical. Volvo already showcased a concept hybrid diesel variant that would run near 40 miles on electric power, then a diesel motor would kick on to recharge the batteries.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Great info on the Volvo/Focus Diesel that hopefully Ford will bring to US. Seems like the big 3 all have diesels in thier other markets.

This Tiguan is suppose to be around the size or slightly smaller than a Jeep Compass/Patriot, Dodge Caliber. Since you can buy a Very Loaded 4X4/ AWD one of them for around $25K, VW should be right in that $ ballpark.

IMO,WVOA better pull out all stops on this TDI if it wants to regain any market share. AND, it'll have to be reliable, especially if it's going head to head with Vehicles that come w/ 10yr warranties.

As much as I like my truck, I'm shopping this Tiguan against the currently available Jeep Patriot 5/spd, Honda CRV EX-L, And finally the Toy. RAV-4(hate the tire on the tailgate) But OMG it's a 265 HP V6. All with 4 or AWD. Each of these are EPA rated around 29 on the highway. Who knows what they really get though.
Hopefully the new MPG rating standards on 08 models will reflect more accurate MPG ratings.

ursus-2

TDI
jetta
right now all those volvo-focus car have psa citroen-peugeot diesel engines (1,6 l 109 hp and a great 2.0 l 140 hp , or 170hp in some versions)
if yoo would to buy one of this nices car not let to have problems to finance it like this peoples
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4526802145951634879&hl=es
i dont have any credit cards by things like this ( im dont have any debt else .godness ) cheers

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
frugality said:
Too bad about it being on the Focus chassis. My parents had their rear control arms replaced under warranty on their Focus ZTW wagon after going through a set of tires in only 13,000 miles. Short tire life is common on Focuses (Foci?) because of the poor suspension.
Isn't the european Focus chassis different from the US one? I could have sworn that I've heard that before...

Jason

dwkdnvr

TDI
none
Not bad - doesn't look nearly as generic as the spy shot photos. Still tamer than most folks around here seem to be hoping for, but I find it perfectly acceptable.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
dwkdnvr said:
Not bad - doesn't look nearly as generic as the spy shot photos. Still tamer than most folks around here seem to be hoping for, but I find it perfectly acceptable.
If you like, you can repaint one in desert camo. Or jungle camo. Install a lift kit, a light bar, auxiliary lights. Load the roof rack with jerry cans of fuel and water. Don't drive it through a deep mudhole, just splash lots of mud all over it to make it look like you just went through a deep mudhole.

Don't forget a steel skidplate.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I think it looks pretty good, but fairly generic. Without the VW emblem there would be no way to identify it as a VW. Overall, I would jump at the opportunity to get one with a diesel and good mileage.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
truman said:
How long is the wheel base on the Tiguan vs Golf and Passat?
Per the above link:

"The new Tiguan is 173.2 inches long, 72.8 inches wide, and 66.5 inches high. It rests on a modified Golf/Rabbit platform, and shares some dimensions with the compact Touran MPV sold in Europe"

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
Offical photos.

Well, here we are. The offical release and photos from over on the 'tex.

Wolfsburg, 28 June 2007 - With the first pictures of the new Tiguan Volkswagen is starting the countdown for the debut of it’s 14th model series. The Sports Utility Vehicle – SUV for short – will be presented to the public for the first time in September as part of the International Motor Show (IAA in Frankfurt). A combination of power and elegance characterizes the design of the new Tiguan. It was conceived as a borderliner between the urban world and endless landscapes, between business and leisure time. The Tiguan is a multitalent with driving characteristics that are just as agile as they are comfortable, high utility value and groundbreaking technologies.

Like the Touareg, the second Volkswagen SUV also presents a self-confident design. Shaping the front of the new Tiguan are the sexy proportions that Volkswagen first introduced with the Concept A Study that garnered worldwide attention – a crossover of a coupe and SUV. On the sides an elongated and powerfully modulated silhouette spans between the extended wheel arches with a – typical Volkswagen – unmistakable C-pillar. A very short overhang characterizes the steep rear end. Also significant are the front headlights and rear lights with matching shapes.

First facts on Tiguan engines: Volkswagen will offer the SUV – and this for the first time worldwide – exclusively with turbocharged direct injection engines. This “high-performance turbocharging” significantly reduces fuel consumption and emissions, yet immensely increases dynamics and driving fun.

Overall there are three TSI and two TDI engines. Of these the completely new developments are the extremely quiet TDIs with common rail fuel injection. They achieve 103 kW / 140 hp and 125 kW / 170 hp and at 1,750 rpm already output 320 Nm or 350 Nm in four-wheel drive. Both TDIs already meet the limits of the Euro-5 standard first coming into effect in 2009.

Also getting to the point powerfully, economically and cleanly are the turbocharged direct injection gasoline engines in the performance levels 110 kW / 150 hp, 125 kW / 170 hp and 147 kW / 200 hp. New to the Volkswagen program are the 150 hp and 170 hp versions. A glance at the torque values makes one sense that the TSIs are very high torque. The 150-hp TSI already develops a self-assured 240 Nm (from 1,750 rpm). In the 170 hp and 200 hp performance range it is 280 Nm (from 1,800 rpm each).

“Tiguan Base” on the internet shows just how big the interest is in the new Tiguan. Visitors to www.tiguan-base.com can log in to the virtual world of the Tiguan. The development stages of the new SUV are presented in photos, films and facts. Within just 15 weeks – and this is sensational – more than one million people have made use of it worldwide. It looks as though the Tiguan is developing into an exciting chapter in the history of the automobile.

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
I hope they will still offer one in Orange. Personally, I think most of VW's colors, outside of the Beetle, are too laid back.

Jason

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle Blue and 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
I had heard mid 20s at earlier press releases as well as late 2007 as a release date. Newer articles have mentioned a higher sticker price and later release date (Summer of 2008). I think it will sell as expected with a sticker price in the 20s. The earlier the release date of a quality diesel like the Tiguan, will only enhance its public opinion. I want to see some test drives to get real mileage expectations. If it hits above 30, that is ok, but I am expecting mid to high 30 mpg and this will beat all other SUV/Crossovers currently in the market. That can only help VW sell more diesels. On top of that, the interior looks more upscale than some of the competitors, and the exterior is conservative but still has VW style. Looks like a good all around package. Now, we all wait for the actual release.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
45 miles per US gallon would be a dream come true for us and VW. I think we will be lucky if it gets 35 mpg highway, but I'm hoping to be proved wrong.

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
mavapa said:
45 miles per US gallon would be a dream come true for us and VW. I think we will be lucky if it gets 35 mpg highway, but I'm hoping to be proved wrong.
I think high 30s is probably likely. CRV can get high 20s so I don't see why a small SUV with a diesel couldn't get high 30s.

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
The official photos look better to me than some of the concept shots I saw, and even with a TDI, I still think I'd rather go for a Sportswagen with a TDI. Less cost, better mileage, and unless you are really going offroad I am sure ESP would get the job done.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
stockdad said:
Haven't you guys heard of the Jeep Liberty CRD? 295 ft lbs of torque for your towing goodness and with a few, minor 'mods' you can get 30mpg on the highway...
Those Italian 4 cylinder CRD engines are legendary...
Fantastic vehicle. There were a couple of major gripes that hurt it though IMO. Big number one was lack of manual transmission. Major bummer. Second was the anemic amount of space in the cargo area. Literally tiny. And third was a considerably higher MSRP than the gasser. Way higher actually. Add the dealer greed factor into the price equation, and it really got ugly.:(

BiodieselJeep.com

TDI
99 Jetta TDI, 05 Liberty CRD
I got one and it IS good for what I need, but still might consider a Tiguan as a second car to replace the Jetta. I do regularly drive on dirt roads and the Jetta can't do it, and we get snow here and I have to go to work (medical office). A jacked-up-golf/jetta wagon would be what I want..hence the Tiguan.

MilenP

Veteran Member
What about the TSX....

Lupin_the_3rd said:
x2, I think it'll sell. Really, its only competition is the BMW X3. All the other small SUV's on the market are chintzy, cheap, low-end stuff like Honda CRV and Ford Escape.

Those same chintzy cheap SUV's are equipped with small gutless gas engines that aren't so great on fuel economy. Add VW's high quality interiors, torquey TDI, and 40 mpg and it sounds like a winner to me. I think lots of people would consider a small sized SUV but found the market full of low-end junk.
Not that I am not all for Aidi/VW, but the TSX is tons better than the X3. Also, when you get the Honda relialabilty, it kames it a very nice choice for a small SUV. Just my 2c. :D

MilenP

Veteran Member
What about the TSX....

Lupin_the_3rd said:
x2, I think it'll sell. Really, its only competition is the BMW X3. All the other small SUV's on the market are chintzy, cheap, low-end stuff like Honda CRV and Ford Escape.

Those same chintzy cheap SUV's are equipped with small gutless gas engines that aren't so great on fuel economy. Add VW's high quality interiors, torquey TDI, and 40 mpg and it sounds like a winner to me. I think lots of people would consider a small sized SUV but found the market full of low-end junk.
Not that I am not all for Audi/VW, but the TSX is tons better than the X3. Also, when you get the Honda relialabilty, it kames it a very nice choice for a small SUV. Just my 2c. :D

Joshua

TDI
ALH
"Could this replace a small, 4wd pick-up?"

That's my biggest question. Having (finally) gotten a TDI, I love it and would be very serious about replacing my Isuzu pickup with this if it will:

A) Tow at least as much as my truck, daily (4000 lbs. - not a lot to ask for...)
B) Get us to the hunting camp/ Get me over obstacles for work (good 4wd/awd system and ground clearance for getting over curbs, down dirt paths, etc...)
C) Allow me to tote dirty stuff (Monster mats?)