VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

mustgofaster

TDI
04 Jetta
VW confirms plans to launch Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support later this year...

Volkswagen confirms plans to launch CarPlay support later this year...

"Later this year, VW will introduce the second generation “modular infotainment platform” (MIB II) in the United States. Along with the new infotainment system, MirrorLink™ will also be made available for the first time, integrating the apps and operating layout of numerous smartphones (including Samsung, HTC, LG and Sony) into cars. When MirrorLink™ is introduced, two other interfaces will also be launched under the App-Connect label: CarPlay™ (Apple®) and Android Auto™ (Google®). Simultaneously, VW will also launch CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ in the European market."

Link to article

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I like Golf variant, but gee...Would these Passat wagons really sit on the new car lots in NA? Beautiful Wagens.
With the success of the JSW/GSW in North America, I think VW could convince the buying public to look at a larger wagen. However, a Passat wagen would cannibalize sales of the GSW, Tigaun, and probably the Toureg. Also, these articles are all talking about the B8 European Passat, which we will never see due to pricing and having our own Passat version. Now, if they made a wagen out of the NMS Passat with 4motion (All Road type), they could kill the Tigaun.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
With the success of the JSW/GSW in North America, I think VW could convince the buying public to look at a larger wagen. However, a Passat wagen would cannibalize sales of the GSW, Tigaun, and probably the Toureg. Also, these articles are all talking about the B8 European Passat, which we will never see due to pricing and having our own Passat version. Now, if they made a wagen out of the NMS Passat with 4motion (All Road type), they could kill the Tigaun.
I don't think the numbers bear that out.

http://media.vw.com/release/907/

The JSW sold less than 20,000 units YTD. VW isn't going to convince the US to buy wagons, in the land of CUVs and SUVs. What were once wagons, morphed into CUVs (Outback). The JSW is down 13% yr over yr YTD. With gas at the prices they are at, and the short memory that Americans have, say hello to a rush to buy mid-large SUVs again.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Is the Euro-Passat not sold here as the CC?? I was under the impression they were the same car....

If that is the case I think we could get the B8 here as the next version of the US/Canada spec'd CC.......

And the main reason we don't get many of the EU spec options here is the fact that over there a loaded up Golf can approach and surpass the $50k mark. That price wouldn't fly here I don't think....

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

.... With gas at the prices they are at, and the short memory that Americans have, say hello to a rush to buy mid-large SUVs again.
This is also why I think plans to roll out the Golf Variant 4Motion (OP) will get shelved. The price of gasoline will definitely result in many North American customers shelving the fuel sipping plan, and opting for the Jeep Wrangler, Compass, or Cherokee, etc. OPEC sticks to higher production, our oil well economy in Texas crashes, and VW changes plans for new models.

But those Chattanooga Passat 2014 sales numbers are actually very good! And TDI sales totaled over 20% of total sales. Not bad, but the gasoline price drop is going to bite into that success.

I just wish we had B8 Variant options (or a Chattanooga version).

btw rotary... CC and the new Euro Passat are two different vehicles in Europe.

Last edited:

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
The Tiguan and Tourag and pretty much DOA in the NA marketplace. I've always felt that AWD Golf models would be better than standalone SUVs.

Lets compared VWNA with Volvo and Subaru. The Former is aiming to play Audi levels but notice how two models outsold the entire VW product line. My wife is a fan of the XC70. Might have to get her another before they take it away.

Subaru, with far fewer models than VW, handily outsold VW. Its just a matter of meeting the Consumers price and product mix. I say they are very successful with their wagons.

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/713/1/subaru-america-inc-reports-best-december-ever-sets

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/corporate/sales-volumes

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Personally, I wouldn't cross shop a wagon and a SUV/CUV. The only reason I traded my Tiguan for a Passat was to get into a diesel again. I almost bit on a Touareg TDI, but just can't justify spending $60k for a car. Afford, yes, but justify, no. As soon as the new SUV built in Tennessee arrives with a TDI, I'm back into one.

It's not the storage space (or lack of for the Tiguan), it's more the higher seat position for both visibility and ingress/egress. Now that I've crossed age 60, it's a lot tougher to sit down into a sedan vs. sliding into the CUV.

And if VW brings a diesel Tiguan to the US, I'll jump right back into one. I liked everything about it except the mileage. I drove the BMW X3, and wasn't impressed. I could easily live with the Q5 TDI, if I didn't have to deal with the Audi dealer. If my VW dealer could broker a Q5 for me, I'd probably do it. I don't think they will though.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Q5 pushes you into the same problem as the Toureg. Too high of price for me. Last time I was at he dealer, they had a used 13 Toureg TDI sitting on the floor. Real nice but they still wanted about $50K US for it. Told my wife we should look at and she just rolled her eyes.

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None

The JSW sold less than 20,000 units YTD. VW isn't going to convince the US to buy wagons, in the land of CUVs and SUVs. What were once wagons, morphed into CUVs (Outback). The JSW is down 13% yr over yr YTD. With gas at the prices they are at, and the short memory that Americans have, say hello to a rush to buy mid-large SUVs again.
Part of the reason for the decline in JSW sales is stale product. It is still based off of MKV underpinnings and drivetrains (despite the MKVI reskin). True to VW form, they have let it languish too long without a refresh.

Not every consumer is an idiot. When VW brings the GSW with new sheetmetal, a better gas motor (1.8T) and AWD options, it will bring folks back to the showroom.

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Just finished speaking with customer service. They have denied that the AWD is coming to USA. The author was simply making an inference.

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
Just finished speaking with customer service. They have denied that the AWD is coming to USA. The author was simply making an inference.
And here we go, down that same garden path we always do...

all you Unicorn hunters put away your guns

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Or the other side: what does customer service really know?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Part of the reason for the decline in JSW sales is stale product. It is still based off of MKV underpinnings and drivetrains (despite the MKVI reskin). True to VW form, they have let it languish too long without a refresh.
Don't forget they stopped building them mid-year, and dealers were selling off remaining inventory for the rest of 2014. Not a lot of selection. I'm sure that hurt sales.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Maybe the numbers say that VW hasn't sold many JSW this year and maybe I'm over sensitized for looking for them, but everywhere I travel I see lots of JSW. I cover the 48 states and southern provences.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Q5 pushes you into the same problem as the Toureg. Too high of price for me. Last time I was at he dealer, they had a used 13 Toureg TDI sitting on the floor. Real nice but they still wanted about $50K US for it. Told my wife we should look at and she just rolled her eyes.
True, but at least I could keep it under $60k. Not a lot under, though!:p

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
I think VW should study Subaru's success with AWD wagons. I see on Wkipedia that VW had a concept Passat Wagon Alltrack with manual transmissions and TDI engines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Passat_%28B6%29

Passat Alltrack

Volkswagen Alltrack concept at NYIAS 2012

In October 2010 Volkswagen presented at the 2010 Tokyo Motor Show the Passat Alltrack. The Passat Alltrack bridges the gap between the passenger VW range and the SUV range comprising the Tiguan and Touareg.
The Passat Alltrack has raised ground clearance from 135 to 165 mm which improves approach angle from 13.5 to 16 degrees, departure angle from 11.9 to 13.6 degrees and ramp angle from 9.5 to 12.8 degrees when compared to the standard Passat wagon. Passat Alltrack is the only VW in the passenger range to offer 4Motion with off road driving programme, the off road system works in conjunction with the ABS, electronic differential lock (EDL), DSG & hill descent assist system to control the vehicle in an off road expedition.
The engine range of the Passat Alltrack consists of two 2.0L TDI with outputs of 103 kW/140 hp & 125 kW/170 hp and two petrol engines, 1.8L producing 118 kW/160 hp and 2.0L TSI producing 155 kW/207 hp. The TDI models come standard with BlueMotion Technology packages with Stop/Start system and battery regeneration mode for recovering braking energy. The two lesser powered engine variants 2.0L TDI and 1.8L TSI are only available in front wheel drive format with a manual 6 speed transmission. The rest of the range with 4Motion has a 6 speed DSG automated manual transmission, except the 2.0L TDI with 103 kW/140 hp has an option of 6 speed manual.
In 2012 at the New York Auto Show, VW showed a Passat Alltrack with 2.0L TDI 125 kW/170 hp under Alltrack Concept nameplate to gauge response for a future market in the offroad wagon segment

Last edited:

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Maybe the numbers say that VW hasn't sold many JSW this year and maybe I'm over sensitized for looking for them, but everywhere I travel I see lots of JSW. I cover the 48 states and southern provences.
I saw 4 Tornado Red JSW's ,1 Tempest Blue & a White one all in 1 day
just outside of Asheville NC. (3were TDI)
Also a Passat wagon.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
B8 Wagon AWD would do better than GSW/JSW AWD in the US, hands down. Look at it!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4705732&postcount=120

Eye popping good looks, functionality, and big enough to please NA customer... It is just an unlucky situation with cheap shipping GSW/JSW made in Puebla, and no Passat Wagon from Chat. The new mega VW planned to be made in Chat will not compete with Suburban, Flex, Yukon. Those customers don't buy Volkswagens to begin with.

Last edited:

eav

TDI
Jetta, 2015 Sportwagen
B8 Wagon AWD would do better than GSW/JSW AWD in the US, hands down. Look at it!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4705732&postcount=120

Eye popping good looks, functionality, and big enough to please NA customer... It is just an unlucky situation with cheap shipping GSW/JSW made in Puebla, and no Passat Wagon from Chat. The new mega VW planned to be made in Chat will not compete with Suburban, Flex, Yukon. Those customers don't buy Volkswagens to begin with.
I'd rather have the Passat Wagon as well, but I will settle for the Sportwagen. Now if I could only get the new 268 Hp 2 liter TDI and the new 10 speed transmission as well.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
gsw/jsw alltrack for me please. more compact & less expensive than the Passat & roomier than the current jsw offering & close to the same fuel econ as well w/awd!

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
But my calendar says 2015

>> The JSW sold less than 20,000 units YTD. VW isn't going to convince the US to buy wagons, in the land of CUVs and SUVs. What were once wagons, morphed into CUVs (Outback).

> Don't forget they stopped building them mid-year, and dealers were selling off remaining inventory for the rest of 2014. Not a lot of selection. I'm sure that hurt sales.

So the TDI JSWs still on the lots (and apparently on the VOA web site) are 2014 models? Wow.

That's a problem, as with any brand of car, by September, buyers would be expecting 2015s to be on the lot. Then in this specific case, these are the last (hopefully) of the imploding HPFP generation - it will take some serious markdown to sell them to anyone who researches issues before buying.

And VW will learn all the incorrect lessons from all of that.

My view is that the low demand for wagons and minivans is largely a fashion issue. Those who might buy one don't because mom or grandad had one. But, they still want big cars, or at least cars with useful payload. So what we get are wagons posturing as wannabe off-roaders, with 1 inch extra clearance, $34.13 in beefing up the underbody, and a $10,000.00 bump in MSRP because SUV.

I could actually use a JSW with +1 inch and an underbody that's more resistant to gravel roads, but I won't pay $40K for it (which is where a TDI Tiguan would likely be if it were even available in the US).

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
' but I won't pay $40K for it ' (second turbo)
I will but this is my concern about how vw higher-ups try to distance themselves from Subaru comparisons to justify a higher price for a jsw 4motion despite the fact that they are positioning their product squarely against the 'subie set' (read young, urban, active, professional, dual-income upper middle class nuclear family) if it indeed rings in at approx. $40k they'll have reached the upper limit of premium affordable. don't expect sales to soar' in other words.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There's a Subaru in my driveway, my mom drives one. I drive it occasionally, and it in no way is comparable to a VW. Although build quality seems OK, materials are far less nice, doors feel like tin, seats are worn after 60K miles. Driving dynamics for all Subarus I've driven are numb, engine makes no power, and, the deal killer, the Legacy and Outback are now only offered with a CVT.

Some people may cross-shop Subaru with VW, but if they buy a Subaru they're getting an inexpensive appliance, IMO. VWs are for people who like cars.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
>> The JSW sold less than 20,000 units YTD. VW isn't going to convince the US to buy wagons, in the land of CUVs and SUVs. What were once wagons, morphed into CUVs (Outback).

> Don't forget they stopped building them mid-year, and dealers were selling off remaining inventory for the rest of 2014. Not a lot of selection. I'm sure that hurt sales.

So the TDI JSWs still on the lots (and apparently on the VOA web site) are 2014 models? Wow.

That's a problem, as with any brand of car, by September, buyers would be expecting 2015s to be on the lot. Then in this specific case, these are the last (hopefully) of the imploding HPFP generation - it will take some serious markdown to sell them to anyone who researches issues before buying.

My view is that the low demand for wagons and minivans is largely a fashion issue. Those who might buy one don't because mom or grandad had one. But, they still want big cars, or at least cars with useful payload. So what we get are wagons posturing as wannabe off-roaders, with 1 inch extra clearance, $34.13 in beefing up the underbody, and a $10,000.00 bump in MSRP because SUV.

I could actually use a JSW with +1 inch and an underbody that's more resistant to gravel roads, but I won't pay $40K for it (which is where a TDI Tiguan would likely be if it were even available in the US).
Yes, the JSW on the lots are 2014. 2015 models AFAIK have not started production yet. There is no confusion from the sticker. If I had to replace my 2010 today, I'd still pick up a 2014 and push for a good discount.

I understand the comment about "I don't want the same thing that mom drove" but my daughter said that she really wants a wagon when she starts having kids.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
indigobluewagon, subies still tick all the boxes. perhaps not as well as our jsw's, but they also tick the awd box & they do it for less money. if you gave me an awd option for jsw I'd gladly pay more cuz the seats are firmer, dash layout is cleaner, fuel econ advantages, teutonic fahrvernugen door clunk & drive dynamics, etc. I'd better be getting more if I'm doling it out (& all for a ride made in mexico)! I ditched the caravan & bought my jsw for fuel econ, cargo hauling utility & family duty & all the other stuff was a happy coincidence. now that I know I need to get through the occaisional snow-maggedon I'd like some 4motion peace-of-mind to add to the experience.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My point is they don't tick all the boxes for me. But it doesn't matter, because I also don't like AWD, find it totally unnecessary. Snow tires work fine. And it snows here, too.

nakkers

TDI
2014 Golf Wagen TDI DSG CL
When I was due to replace my company car Dec of 2014, the availability of a JSW was limited so, I got to check out a Forester.

It's a completely different machine. I'm sure existing and potential JSW shoppers wouldn't be cross shopping with a CUV/SUV. Maybe an Outback?

I agree with some other posts, there really isn't worry from either camp of lost sales from VW to Subie.

And I really don't see VW rushing to put 4motion in a JSW for the Canadian/NA market. It's already near the high end in price point without.

I am surprised they haven't optioned the Tiggy with TDI/awd?

My very limited experience with a Subie was test driving a 2015 Forester with CVT. I drive a lot. 80k to 100k kilometers annually. I have to say the Subie didn't impress me. And I wanted to like it. Vague steering, terrible seats, road noise. The visibility was excellent and storage was good. Not sure about fuel economy but, even breaking in a new JSW, I don't think the Subie could come close to a TDI in terms of range.

I live in a snow region and will take snow tires and 2wd over AWD any day.

I do find the JSW ground clearance low at times. Otherwise, a great car to enjoy making the miles pass by.

No problem with the "old" version in 2014. It is dated but, still quality materials and the switch gear functions perfectly.

I laugh at those taking shots at assembly in Mexico. It's a German design and engineered vehicle and it shows when you drive it. I might worry if I was purchasing a vehicle assembled in 3rd world nation that receives aid for food and water etc.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
This steep drop in gasoline prices (incredibly, below $1.75 around here now!) will likely push back any plans that may have existed to make an AWD JSW/GSW TDI available in NA. There is no sign of OPEC cutting back in production. FWD JSW TDI will still get made, eventually, though it might show up when other car manufacturers are about to roll out 2016s!

Low gasoline prices means that people will move towards the bigger SUVs and will brush aside the poor fuel economy issue, and VW is VERY sensitive to market pressure. Then in a year or so, when fuel prices start to climb again, they'll be getting 12-18mpg and we still won't have an AWD sportwagen.

I would have bought the Subaru Boxer Diesel. The Subie gassers seem to need to be wound up to 5000 rpm to make any torque now (this applies back to 2010). Of course, I was used to a VW TDI so maybe I expected more!

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I have to agree with the above. I have owned two Outbacks, I will take my TDIs with dedicated snows.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
the 2014 JSW TDIs are not left over production, what they are overproduction for now

What VW has learned is the drivers/buyers who come into the dealer looking for one of these very limited availability models could care less if it is last year MY, they have successfully used this tactic many times here. With the last time being the 06.5 Diesel Editions which sold new all the way up to early 2008 quite well with no one else having a diesel option to compete with their cars.

So these 2014s are not left over models but cars they produced just to have a diesel wagon for sale right now with the switchover in place. I would not expect any discounting until they have the new JSW on the way here for sale here, which isn't happening anytime soon from what I have read....

If a buyer comes into the dealer looking for one of these JSW TDIs they likely are already well aware of the switchover time models for sale right now. So could likely care less they these things are NEW 2014 MY offerings that are what they are looking for today..........