VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It all comes down to profit margins, but at this rate, a diesel all wheel VW Sportswagon may turn out to be $38K, only $3k to $5K shy of a diesel BMW 328d xDRIVE SPORTS WAGON.
The 2015 328d xDrive Sports Wagon is $44,400 with no options. Good luck finding one for that price. Something closer to $50k+ is a more realistic transaction price.

Last edited:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Interesting development, if this new 4WD golf wagon has a base engine that is a TDI, maybe VW of America does read these forums? That's 2 things that are new, a 4WD wagon VW and a VW with a base engine that is a diesel?

There is hope that somebody is listening.

I would prefer a Passat wagon size wise, and a manual tranny.

VW's stated objective a few years ago was to be the #1 selling car in the world. To achieve that, they need to sell a lot more autos here in NA, as well as everywhere else in the world.

To sell in volume, a premium price doesn't cut it. And if others are bringing diesels here, such as the oft mentioned Mazda, Honda, Subaru, etc. they need to get ahead of the curve. Most people who have a diesel keep driving them in high percentages, lots of loyalty, they only give them up in the past from lack of choice.

Lets say the only Golf AWD wagon you can buy was a diesel, I think you would see a lot of first time diesel owners up in Vermont and NH, giving up their Subaru's. Most Subaru's are not an SUV, they are a car, like a Golf.

I think this will happen, the question will only be how delayed will it be?

If you look at the base B7 Passat gas as a used vehicle, they are dirt cheap, it is the diesel that people want. Look at the price of a used B5 TDI wagon or sedan and say a 10 year newer used Passat B7 with 2.5.

Don

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
It does seem odd that VW would want to bring an AWD wagon in the smaller Golf platform rather than the Passat because of what is and what isn't in their respective segment competition. As mentioned previously, the Golf Alltrack TDI would put it in the competition with the BMW 328d xDrive Touring, which is "only" about a $10k from each other when both are typically optioned -- too close for comfort, especially when the BMW would embarrass the VW with, at present, 30 more HP.

However, I have driven and ridden in the newest Subaru Outback and Legacy wagons. Both are appreciably bigger than the Golf and much more where Passat would slot in terms of size and target customer.

I think I see VW's thinking though... it wants to see itself competing with the more premium BMW rather than Subaru, the latter of which the CEO Michael Horn is quoted to "dismiss".

Knowing the general American taste for larger vehicles, it would make eminent sense to have a Passat Alltrack TDI instead of the Golf. Even this already exists (albeit based on the Euro Passat, not NMS...).
http://youtu.be/_yNs2mcSokY?t=1m20s

There's also the Audi A4 Allroad, which with a TDI option can go after the 328d xDrive Touring. But VW needs a reasonably affordable D-segment AWD Diesel wagon that's conspicuously absent from the market.

Last edited:

emapman

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
I saw the Alltrack at the Paris Auto Show. It was very nice with TDI, 6 speed manual, backup warning, lane monitoring, smart cruise, trailer hitch that deployed with a lever inside the rear hatch. I thought it was a perfect replacement for my aging 2000 Subaru Outback. The person I talked to assured me it was coming to the USA and being released in Europe in Late Spring 2015. So I assume he meant in 2016 here. It's the first car I've seen that I would buy immediately if it were available.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Doubt that we will get the built in trailer hitch unless we get something other than the dsg. IIRC, VWoA decided in 2012 that the dsg was not robust enough for towing. It would be great to not have to worry about installing one down the road.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Got it Otty. I should have looked at your signature. That explains TDI2000's comment. :eek:

Does anyone do photoshop?! I'd love to see a NMS Passat as a square back. I envision a straight back square back. Nothing Taurus wagen-esque! Offer AWD.

VOLKSWAGEN needs to build one, and offer it with the TDI engine, and the option of a standard shift. (A pano roof would be nice too!). Build stuff that the market doesn't (or maybe DOES!) know that it needs, and they'd break the bank.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
A little over an inch increase in ride height? I was hoping for more than that.

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
You are expected to pay more for that, much more

> A little over an inch increase in ride height? I was hoping for more than that.

Just getting that inch may have caused a major battle between the Golf marketing team and the Tiguan and Toureg teams.

I'd be happy with the current clearance & FWD, but with a belly that actually stands up to maintained gravel roads.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
My sig shows my wishes. That said, I just spent an afternoon in an A3 sedan with the 2.0 and I was in impressed by the drive, less so with the space in back. AWD for me might be the only thing that could take me away from a TDI, and I say "may" carefully. I love the TDI driving experience, and I have owned a lot of quattros. I am not in for a luxury car. That LA show Alltrak wagon looks very expensive to me. I am not good for an Audi priced car anymore; it's an appliance to me now... Bring on the people car with a TDI, AWD, and three pedals. I will deal with the ride height issue when I have to.

fordt

TDI
03 Golf, skid plate, lift kit with Bilsteins, now +250K
A little over an inch increase in ride height? I was hoping for more than that.
You got that right, if they're aiming at Subaru, it better be easier for the old folks to get in and not have to climb out of. All that being said, I'll believe this SFU when it gallops into my local dealer. If it's a VW "outback/forester" with a TDI....well......

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
As others have said, they did offer MT with 4motion. In 04-05 you could even (finally) get the 1.8T MT 4motion...

My fear is that it will come and be another botched job by VW like the B5.5 Passat TDI with no MT option...and a dreadful slushbox. Or the even further way back failure of not bringing the Mk3 Golf with TDI...d'oh! Or the already certified for US import 98 Passat TDI that was pulled at the very last minute. They didn't help diesel continuity when they made these ridiculous decisions.

If they goof (par for the course) they'll make the base wagon TDI but they won't make that engine an option for the 4motions...I can see it now. You'll have to buy the gas version in order to get the 4motion.

There will be hisses and boos when that happens.

Steve
At today's price gap of gas vs. diesel, they may go gas only on AWD.... I can't imagine the current price spread helping TDI sales all that much.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
http://media.vw.com/release/752/

The new SportWagen will be offered in front-wheel drive form, with two powertrains to choose from. The first is a 170 horsepower, 1.8-liter turbocharged and direct-injection four-cylinder TSI® engine, mated to five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmissions. Manufacturer highway fuel economy is estimated to have improved by as much as 17 percent compared to the 2.5-liter Jetta SportWagen.
The TDI Clean Diesel model will be powered by the new EA288 2.0-liter common-rail, turbocharged and direct-injection diesel engine that makes150 horsepower, an improvement of 10 hp over the current SportWagen model, and 236 pound-feet pf torque. The TDI model will have a choice of six-speed manual or DSG® dual-clutch automatic transmissions.
No AWD. Will not buy.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sportwagen will be FWD, released in Q2 2015 as a 2016 model. Alltrack will be AWD, released in Q3 2016 as a 2017 model.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You'll get a Tiguan TDI, but you'll have to be patient. VWoA says it's arriving in Q2 2017, probably as a 2018 model.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
At today's price gap of gas vs. diesel, they may go gas only on AWD.... I can't imagine the current price spread helping TDI sales all that much.
You're right at the moment but diesel always comes down in price for summer and is usually priced closer to regular gas then above premium as is the case right now.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
If I am not mistaken, there are a few SportWagens used in Steven Van Zandt's Netflix show "Lilyhammer". I noticed a few in there and one that looks like the aforementioned Golf SportWagen Alltrack as a Police Car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
watching the last Thor movie the other day, I noticed that some of the British police cars were Golf Estates. I was going to point it out to my wife but didn't want to deal with the sarcasm.

kensic

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
did the golf and jetta sportwagen ever offer Brown interior?

i really hope they offer it in the golf sportwagen!!!!

i want to know now!! not next year!!!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sportswagen, no. Just black and white, well almost white.

kensic

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
Sportswagen, no. Just black and white, well almost white.
im really crossing my fingers that they will add it to the line up. because in Europe they it as an option (from all the videos I've seen on youtube)

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
think the crossblue is the larger version and has better mpg if we ever get either one. When I get the chance I will consider a new one but I haven't wore out the the 2006 yet let alone the 2012

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Can't see VW having msrp that high on the awd unless it only comes in top trim. For that price, it had better have real leather.

Seems that most manufacturers add about $2000 for either 4 wheel drive or awd. So, if VW offers awd across all trims, they should have one available for just under $30k US.
From your lips to God's ears!!!!!!!!!