EE20 Subaru diesel

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Was reading about this in TDIsyncro's thread and wanted to designate its own.

I'm a huge fan of the Subaru concept but not sure on its diesel engine capabilities or how they compare to VW's line. Any info on performance potential or other Subaru diesel motor's?

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I imagine if you apply the normal diesel tricks, 300hp wouldn't be too hard. I'd LOVE to play around with one in a sandrail.

I'd do porting, cams, head studs, rods (better safe than sorry), nozzles, a turbo or two, intercooler, and a skynam or nira ecu. Should make for at least 250whp and a riot in something lightweight and RWD.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Based off the history of subaru they tend to put one or two things that is very important in making chip tunes difficult to run on there engines....in the past they would put either cheaper quality pistons or rods in that were barely capable of holding a stock engine together. They build there engines this way so there not warranty out parts on engines that were dogged prior to bringingg them in...so I would expect the ee20 engine to follow there history. So expect engine modding to clear 300 safely.

Last edited:

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Well followed on the Subaru MB's.

But just like most VW diesel selections realistically isn't coming here.

A few guys import then as crate motors and sell them.

I'd love to buy one.

VW isn't interested in a low cost AWD diesel for the US market.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
dunno, all those throughbolts for the mains plus more round the perimeter? More chance of pulling the steel matrix insert out of the alloy, and that'd take a bit of force...

UsArmyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta (rip)
I like the way the boxer sounds! And with big torque along with wad, it seems like the recipe for a fun car. I just wish I knew more about the boxer motors. I know. The ago motor is pretty stout. And I k.ow they are fun to drive. That's about it

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm very impressed w the EE20 swaps you've done. Have you done any performance enhancements lately? Any dynos?