Next generation renewable diesel now available in NorCal?

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
On my 3rd tank already since returning to this fuel. Too many WOT since this fuel blend does not smoke ... just a little haze :D
On my Way to Sacto 3 days ago I averaged 56.2mpg (Scangauge II). I am eager to hear if Maxrpm can get something more out of this fuel by playing with timing etc.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Just like Andrew New TDI says in my car I am averaging 1-2 miles less, but if we realize the other benefits that we are getting from this new HPR diesel, it should be a no brainer for us to use it, personally I"d fill up anytime at propel,, I will mess with advancing the timing, and doing some other upgrade through vag.com to see if I could improve my milage ,,, so far its been great on this High performance diesel
I'd say whether you advance or retard will depend on where you are on the timing graph already. What makes you think you should advance your timing?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I'd say whether you advance or retard will depend on where you are on the timing graph already. What makes you think you should advance your timing?
the thing is I haven't hooked vag.com in my golf since I installed the new engine. most likely is dead center on timing graph, With a huge cam in my golf, and 12mm pump I got to, I always have my timing advanced cause my 2 tdis are bumped up, I have it touching upper line best results for my cars, so I will test it there and see how this fuel will behave.

dieselarmada

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI Manual
Diesel HPR has now gone from about 10-15 cents cheaper than D2 to about 20 cents higher than the lowest D2 price now in the Bay Area. $3.19 vs. $2.99 :(

WeLikeBlue

Veteran Member
TDI
2004.5 Passat
Diesel HPR has now gone from about 10-15 cents cheaper than D2 to about 20 cents higher than the lowest D2 price now in the Bay Area. $3.19 vs. $2.99 :(
Here in Sac metro area it's only about a 10-cent spread ($3.09 at Broadway & Riverside as well as Elk Grove). Still, the people filling with gas are giving me really jealous looks right now -- they're paying $3.79 and higher for RUG:p

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
......this sailor not observing any behavior change among folks filling up with gasoline at the high turnover Chevron adjacent to the Roseville Union Pacific railyard. (but it's sure nice to see 3.199 D2 versus 3.499 RUG...........................)

Last tank - following a round trip to the Bay Area - calc'd out (pen and paper) at 54.8. The "break in' process continues..............

ez

Last edited:

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
I emailed Propel asking about SoCal launch and it seems they are aiming for 3rd quarter, so sometime in the next 3-4 months.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
That's good news for the SoCal folks.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Count me and Spooky as fans of Propel and HPR... I dont even see ANY smoke or even smell anything either... and he runs really smooth.

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
This HPR really does somehow generate less smoke at WOT. With D2 I'd be stretching it to call it "haze", but with this stuff I can barely see it. The car can cruise happier in 4th at slow city speeds now to for some reason. It might take a fraction of a second longer to start (?), still on the first twist of the key though.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Any more reports on fuel efficiency comparisons from folks who have been pumping this regularly?

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I'm on my third tank in a 2012 Passat TDI. I've noticed that the fuel is water clear and it hardly foams at all. This makes it much easier to fill the tank.

My fuel economy is pretty much the same or slightly better with HPR and the car is very responsive. There is no smell and no smoke. I'm still using Opti-Lube to make sure on lubricity. I read somewhere that HPR should not be mixed with biodiesel.

Around Sacramento, HPR is $0.20 less than the cheapest regular diesel. We also burned some in a kerosene garage heater and it worked great. So much cheaper than kero....

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
just filled up my 6th tank since getting back on this fuel! Car is happier ...

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
My fuel economy is pretty much the same or slightly better with HPR and the car is very responsive. There is no smell and no smoke. I'm still using Opti-Lube to make sure on lubricity. I read somewhere that HPR should not be mixed with biodiesel.
Can you provide a link or reference for that claim? Once a fuel is poured into the tank, some trace of it is effectively there for a long time, unless one completely drains the fuel tank and lines.

dieselarmada

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI Manual
I too am on my 6th tank of Diesel HPR. I'm down about 1 MPG vs. D2 averaging across the fills. I really like the quietness of the motor and no smoke on WOT.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Very interesting for those watching this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=442700

Seems like Neste is really ramping up its US presence & visibility. Also, it seems like in the future Propel will have competition from a new company called Nexgen in distributing Neste renewable diesel at retail pumps.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Thanks for the link, interesting thread by Benz-heads. That's rather alarming, on the matter of precipitates forming when the animal fat based fuel is blended with the plant oil based fuel.

I wonder why ProPel is not warning its customers of the risk?
Why didn't all the major oil companies warn the VW and other diesel car drivers that the then current high sulfur fuel that they were selling would eventually clog the the egrs and intakes?:D

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Very interesting for those watching this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=442700

Seems like Neste is really ramping up its US presence & visibility. Also, it seems like in the future Propel will have competition from a new company called Nexgen in distributing Neste renewable diesel at retail pumps.
Oh wow, just realized this car will be at VW in Santa Monica tomorrow morning. I happen to live less than 2 miles away and have the day off. I think I'll take my toddler over there (by bike :)) and check it out: http://clpmotorsports.com/index.php/event/volkswagen-santa-monica/

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
So, at the VW Santa Monica event featuring this car which was going cross country on one tank of Neste renewable diesel, I got to talk to the support team and drivers a bit (Golden Gate Petroleum, Nexgen, CLP Motorsports). Golden Gate has actually had this fuel in CA since 2012 but was using it mostly on fleets and fueling only from its own facility and did not distribute it widely--at which point Propel jumped into the market with it. However, the Golden Gate-affiliated Nexgen is going to start distributing this in much the same way Propel does starting this year. They said they will start on the west coast (NorCal, SoCal, WA, OR) and states that have low carbon fuel standards. Next up will be probably east coast, especially New England states depending on which get low carbon standards (that fuel can come from their Rotterdam facility as opposed to Singapore).

So the good news is there may be additional sources of this fuel. The bad news is the rest of the country may still be waiting for a while unless more US-based producers of renewable diesel come online.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
It would be nice if they and Propel could get marketing tie-ins with VW, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz. Maybe try to get locations close to dealerships which would be 2 locations in Chico: 1 on the north side near the M-B/BMW dealer and another on the south side near the VW dealer; perhaps one could be Nexgen and the other one Propel.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It would be nice if they and Propel could get marketing tie-ins with VW, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz. Maybe try to get locations close to dealerships which would be 2 locations in Chico: 1 on the north side near the M-B/BMW dealer and another on the south side near the VW dealer; perhaps one could be Nexgen and the other one Propel.
Well, they will be competitors. The guys at Golden Gate / Nexgen expressed interest in reaching out to end-users for recommendations, so reach out to them with suggestions.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which is why I said one outlet from each company up in Chico would cover the two ends of town: Nextgen on the north side and Propel on the south side or vice versa. Or are you advocating a monopoly with Nextgen not being allowed in areas where Propel already exists and Propel not being allowed to expand into areas where Nextgen will exist? :confused: Competition is GOOD!

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Which is why I said one outlet from each company up in Chico would cover the two ends of town: Nextgen on the north side and Propel on the south side or vice versa. Or are you advocating a monopoly with Nextgen not being allowed in areas where Propel already exists and Propel not being allowed to expand into areas where Nextgen will exist? :confused: Competition is GOOD!
I wasn't really saying anything. I think I was just distracted by your signature pic ;)

Odilatinam

TDI
2006 New Beetle / 2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I've been happy with HPR over the past few months, mileage has remained similar to before, and I've also noticed the smoother idle and less smoke described by others.

Of course, reading this thread now has me worried and looking up BEW IP Seals. Is there any significant difference between all the ALH IP Seal threads I find? My PD has run B20 in California for most of its life, so I'm now wondering if I have to worry about seal shrinking because of the HPR.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been happy with HPR over the past few months, mileage has remained similar to before, and I've also noticed the smoother idle and less smoke described by others.

Of course, reading this thread now has me worried and looking up BEW IP Seals. Is there any significant difference between all the ALH IP Seal threads I find? My PD has run B20 in California for most of its life, so I'm now wondering if I have to worry about seal shrinking because of the HPR.
Someone with more knowledge of your engine can chime in, but the BEW does not have an IP. I'm pretty sure leaking seals, etc. is not a concern for your engine.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had my tandem pump replaced last year due to seepage; this was before I stated using Diesel HPR though. I wonder if it will affect the tandem pump seals?