Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
LOL, nope. Just wanted to post that up to have fun in advance of posting a real fillup today. I went up to NYS for a fishing trip last week and came back yesterday, 470-ish miles rountrip. My friend's house outside Albany is pretty much straight uphill from the highway, like 20 mile. It kind of killed my mpg on the way up (dropped from 52 to 49.5) but when I left there (cold engine), I got 65 mpg average before reaching the highway. It was kinda neat seeing numbers that high right off the bat from a cold start. I drove into my garage last night with MFA saying 52.9 mpg trip 1 average (Albany to Philly area), and 51.1 mpg trip 2 (filled up just before I left). My 34 mpg commute to work this morning dropped trip 2 to 50.9. I changed the MFA calculation with VCDS halfway through last tank to (hopefully) correct its 5% average optimism.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Fill that bad boy up and let's see if that 5% adjust you did on VCDS tweaked your MPG numbers to something less than 5% variance.

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
The 2012 Passat has a cluster that uses UDS so it's not exactly the same as in the older CR's. There aren't really Adaptation channel numbers anymore so this is what you'd do:

In VCDS to go into 17-Instruments->Adaptation->"Display correction of consumption and operating range", and put in a new value of 105%

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What is the up arrow next to your gear indicator?

Niner

What is the up arrow next to your gear indicator?
That's VW's lastest trick with "Eco" mode, telling you when to shift, when the stereo is blaring and you can't hear the motor to know when to shift. 1982 Jetta diesels had that feature also, an upshift arrow would light up on your dash to keep your fuel economy good.

Niner

The 2012 Passat has a cluster that uses UDS so it's not exactly the same as in the older CR's. There aren't really Adaptation channel numbers anymore so this is what you'd do:

In VCDS to go into 17-Instruments->Adaptation->"Display correction of consumption and operating range", and put in a new value of 105%

I find this method of long coding as shown above in bold, very easy to understand, request folks use this method in the future with the > signs to show the steps. Very intuitive, should be standardized.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I find double posts annoying:D Why not just edit your first post, and delete the second one?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Ah, an upshift light on the manual transmission. I was wondering why ours didn't have it, but it's a DSG - duh... :eek:

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I actually don't mind the upshift indicator, since it's the same color as the rest of the text, it's not distracting. I don't usually pay attention to it other than noting when it thinks I should upshift (at very low RPM usually). BTW, it shows the suggested gear it wants you to go into when the arrow is illuminated. When you are at steady state (no arrow), it shows the gear you are actually in (as long as the clutch is engaged, etc). Since it's a manual, the car doesn't really KNOW what gear you are in, but it calculates it based on RPM/KMH ratio.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
It recommends which gear you should be using(for best economy)? Seriously cool... I am glad it is not distracting though.

A 2013 Passat may be in our future.

Bill

Niner

It recommends which gear you should be using(for best economy)? Seriously cool... I am glad it is not distracting though.

A 2013 Passat may be in our future.

Bill
Have you test driven one yet?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Test drove the 2012 Passat when they first became available for test drives. It was very nice, but we decided to wait for a year or two and let the new design (and factory) shake out any bugs.

Bill

Niner

Test drove the 2012 Passat when they first became available for test drives. It was very nice, but we decided to wait for a year or two and let the new design (and factory) shake out any bugs.

Bill

Us early adopters remain cautiously optimistic about our B7 NMS Passats made here in the USA. Jury still has a long ways to go, not in yet, on these.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
have you found that your mileage is increasing at all as the engine breaks in?
Not sure I can make that statement at this point in time as I just got my car in Oct/Nov of last year, so I started off in cooler temps which naturally result in lower mpg's, now the mpg's have gone up but the warmer weather is most likely the reason. I'll have to wait until another cycle of cool/warm weather to see if the increased mileage has resulted in better mpg's.

v2squared

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT Glacier Blue
my mpg

I currently have 800 miles total, one fill up thus far at 688.7 miles, got 39.9578 mpg pen / paper, not bad for break-in driving.

Niner

I currently have 800 miles total, one fill up thus far at 688.7 miles, got 39.9578 mpg pen / paper, not bad for break-in driving.
I will speculate that they filled your first tank up to the first click on the pump when the fuel burped, and that said tank was about 1.5 gallons short on the fillup, sometimes 2 gallons.

Which means you probably got 43.5 to 45 MPG in your car on the first tank. The second fillup will be more telling, as will the amount of city/residential/Blvd traffic driving versus highway and Interstate, as a percent of the tank mileage. ie 40 % of the miles accrued were in stop and go, controlled signal city traffic, versus 60% on highway /open road/ autobahn conditions. Average speed will play a huge factor in upping or decreasing your MPG's per tank on the highway. AZ has high speed limits, 75 MPH, and lots of ups and downs, so it will play havoc with your MPG per tank, lower than what I get, for sure. Laughlin to Kingman and back is a fuel eater, quite an up hill slog.

I routinely get 44-47 MPG driving per trip showing, in Blvd traffic here in Los Angeles at 50/50 streets and freeway trips up to 30 miles, round trip.

Last edited:

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
Taking a long road trip this weekend with my wife, 18-month old boy, and a collie-mix dog from Maryland to northern Wisconsin. Passat will be loaded down with stuff, mostly for the kid, for a 10-day vacation with my parents. We'll be towing my small boat/trailer that weight around 500lbs combined. Trailer has small tires, maybe 12-13 inches in diameter. I've got less than 500 miles on the car so far.

Any guesses on average fuel consumption traveling no faster than 65 mph on the freeways?

My goal would be to fuel up near Toledo, OH, not have to fuel up in Michigan, and make it all the way across the U.P. to Ashland, WI. That's 700 miles.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Loaded with the 6MT, I'm going to guess 42 MPG @ 65 MPH.

Please start a thread in the Road Trips section and document your journey. :cool:

Jason and I are heading up to Michigan for the weekend of the 23rd, back home, then up to Connecticut for the weekend of the 30th. Lots of road trips this time of year - can't wait to put some mile on the Passat. :)

Niner

Taking a long road trip this weekend with my wife, 18-month old boy, and a collie-mix dog from Maryland to northern Wisconsin. Passat will be loaded down with stuff, mostly for the kid, for a 10-day vacation with my parents. We'll be towing my small boat/trailer that weight around 500lbs combined. Trailer has small tires, maybe 12-13 inches in diameter. I've got less than 500 miles on the car so far.

Any guesses on average fuel consumption traveling no faster than 65 mph on the freeways?

My goal would be to fuel up near Toledo, OH, not have to fuel up in Michigan, and make it all the way across the U.P. to Ashland, WI. That's 700 miles.
Top off your tank just before you attach the trailer. I don't know the aerodynamics of your boat, my guess is you'll see 38 to 40 MPG, the small wheels have high rotational speeds.

I can't really think of any manufacturer of any vehicle that recommends towing anything withing the first 1000 miles /break in period.

Just saying... you are supposed to take it easy on the car the first 1000 miles, read your owners manual. Maybe slow it down to 55 and 5th gear going up grades?