900 mile club

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
So done the 600, 700, 800 thing now time plan for the next one. 900 seems doable if you get 60 mpg. I have a hunting trip in Colorado coming up in November. If I go, this would be the time to try for 900 mpt across Kansas. I will have to start planning.

Leedogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Present: 05 Passat TDI Past: 06 Jetta TDI
And I thought 800 was incredible! so I am guessing 50-55 the whole way? I don't have the patience- more power to ya!

lvleph

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta Reflexive Silver PKG0
900 is definately doable for those that are patient and don't have their wife in the car. My wife was getting frustrated on our last road trip. In fact last night I was talking about trying to finish my 800MPT, and she told me take a trip to the Grand Canyon. I told here I don't think you could handle me driving 55MPH, and she said that is why I told you to take the trip.

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
lvleph said:
900 is definately doable for those that are patient and don't have their wife in the car. My wife was getting frustrated on our last road trip. In fact last night I was talking about trying to finish my 800MPT, and she told me take a trip to the Grand Canyon. I told here I don't think you could handle me driving 55MPH, and she said that is why I told you to take the trip.
:D That's funny. I drive slower than my husband so I can keep the fuel economy up! Although I must admit I had trouble yesterday when the yahoos were driving 15 under the speed limit in all 3 lanes because it was raining (not even a hard rain - just rain.) Thank goodness for truck lanes...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My wife wanted to do the trip to New Orleans instead. I told her I couldn't do what I needed to if we had to stop or do anything else other than steer! :) I invited her along if she really wanted to come, after explaining it meant 16 or 17 hours sitting in the car. Being that I had so little fuel left after pushing in every last drop I could at fill up, I don't think I would have made it if I had to drive around any at all besides the interstate trip.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Here is the possible trip as Delorme shows it. IH35 to Salina, KS, then IH70 to Burlington, CO. All interstate and 898 miles. Might have to drive the first part overnight to avoid traffic through DFW and OKC. Don't know if it is flat enough though. I would need some incredible mpg to get this one. 60 mpg or better.

lvleph

Veteran Member
TDI
I might drive from Las Vegas to NY and back in December. That would be a trip to do it in.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Lightflyer1 said:
So done the 600, 700, 800 thing now time plan for the next one. 900 seems doable if you get 60 mpg. I have a hunting trip in Colorado coming up in November. If I go, this would be the time to try for 900 mpt across Kansas. I will have to start planning.
The way to try is on the way BACK. It's all "downhill" and usually the wind is with you. Pump the tires up and try to keep speeds down. Don't get run over as I-70 traffic usaully MOVES!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It moves everywhere! You should see the people passing me here in Texas. The state is so big you have to drive fast or you'll never get out. 1200 miles across I think. Kind of reminds me of driving East/West across TN in the old days on IH40.

lvleph

Veteran Member
TDI
Speed limit on the freeway around here is anywhere from 65 to 75, and everyone drive 10 over.

quartermeter1999

Veteran Member
TDI
If you had an A4 I'd say it was possible but I dont' think the A5 will do it.

Throw out all xtra weight.

That means
small spare or no spare
mufflerectomy
no xtra 1-2 gallon fuel jug

Whatever else that can be stripped from it.

Then that's probably only 100 lbs less.

The A4's weigh less and get better mileage sooo

Good luck

I've done 740 miles but hate to take it that far.

I drive 70-80 so that's great mileage at 44+.

It's not good for the fuel pumps and engine to run it dry is it?

We'd do better to put an xtra tank in the trunk or where the muffler was.

QM out......................

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
quartermeter1999 said:
If you had an A4 I'd say it was possible but I dont' think the A5 will do it.

Throw out all xtra weight.

That means
small spare or no spare
mufflerectomy
no xtra 1-2 gallon fuel jug

Whatever else that can be stripped from it.

Then that's probably only 100 lbs less.

The A4's weigh less and get better mileage sooo

Good luck

I've done 740 miles but hate to take it that far.

I drive 70-80 so that's great mileage at 44+.

It's not good for the fuel pumps and engine to run it dry is it?

We'd do better to put an xtra tank in the trunk or where the muffler was.

QM out......................
It probably isn't good for them to run dry. I haven't yet done that though. Everytime made it to the pump and refueled. Takes some planning. I have only done something like this three times. My normal driving is quite different and probably much like yours.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Wont hurt to run them dry, remember when coasting it is not burning any fuel(or so everyone says)..Just add the fuel and cycle key a couple of times to get the fuel to the injectors(fuel system is recirclatory one)..

Now if most people are wrong about them not burning fuel while coasting then(I still beleave they burn some limited small amount), it would be a bad thing..

Cause the fuel Lubricates and cools the injectors.

Fencemaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp; 2009 JSW TDI 6sp
It has been several months since I did it, but last August I managed to squeeze over 900 miles out of a tank in my 2006 Jetta sedan. It was a serious nailbiter and I think I ended up putting around 15.6 gallons in the tank when I finally filled up. But, I knew I was getting awesome mileage on that tank, and I was so close to 900 that I just had to push it to see if it could be done.

Answer: Yes, if you are patient and religious about your efficient driving techniques for the whole tank, then you CAN GET 900 MILES OUT OF A FULL TANK IN AN A5 WITH THE PD ENGINE! :D

Last edited:

Torero

TDI
MKVI Golf TDI 6mt
yeah.... that has to be driving across Kansas with cruise control set to something like 40mph

Fencemaker

Veteran Member
TDI
No, it was right here at home. Most of that tank was my regular commute along with a couple of long highway stretches at 55-60 mph. I have the pretty much ideal commute for high mileage driving. I also do a fair amount of coasting, both in and out of gear, as needed. I also try NOT to use the cruise control. Your foot can do way better than cruise control for maximizing mileage in hilly SW Pennsylvania.

I almost always exceed 50 mpg on a tank, except in the darkest throws of winter. From about April through September I can almost always get over 800 miles to a tank. Once I figured out where to coast, where not to coast and how to drive this vehicle for maximum mileage, it's like a constant game for me (takes the edge off an otherwise 1 hour each way unbearable commute).

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
No, it was right here at home. Most of that tank was my regular commute along with a couple of long highway stretches at 55-60 mph. I have the pretty much ideal commute for high mileage driving. I also do a fair amount of coasting, both in and out of gear, as needed. I also try NOT to use the cruise control. Your foot can do way better than cruise control for maximizing mileage in hilly SW Pennsylvania.

I almost always exceed 50 mpg on a tank, except in the darkest throws of winter. From about April through September I can almost always get over 800 miles to a tank. Once I figured out where to coast, where not to coast and how to drive this vehicle for maximum mileage, it's like a constant game for me (takes the edge off an otherwise 1 hour each way unbearable commute).

Come on dude you are full of it.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
I have just barely been able to make 700mpt on 2 occasions, so my hat is off to anyone that made 800mpt. 900mpt seems like an impossible feat, but if you honestly did it, congratulations, you are the king of the light foot. You must exhale onto the accelerator pedal to speed up! Good job and do it again!

Dan

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Congrats, you done what no one else on this board has been able to do..And not only have you by 12% better then anyone else, I havent hear of anyone get that type of fuel economy out of a Mark V. To get the 800mpt, it took alot of 55-60mph time.

Fencemaker

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09
Come on dude you are full of it.
If you knew me, you'd know that I'm not full of it. But I have no idea how I could prove it to any disbeliever. I keep a book with all my fuel purchases, odometer readings and purchase locations. I also keep all my fuel receipts. I add between .5-1.0 gallons of biodiesel to every tank and also record that addition in the book. I have a Scanguage that I use to help me understand what techniques increase fuel economy and what techniques do not. (In fact, it has taught me volumes about learning when to coast in gear and when to coast in neutral.)

So, whether you want to believe me or not, your choice. Matters not to me.

By the way, if you want to increase your mileage, you have to decrease your speed. Try it. It took me months to get comfortable with driving 55mph (I was always a 10mph over the speed limit guy before this car). If you go 55mph will be almost the slowest car on the highway, you will get evil looks from others, but you will be also be almost the ONLY car on the road that is legal. And, you will see your mileage increase, slowly but surely.