Under hood insulation blanket tabs are coming out

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Hey fellas

I’ve read some other threads about some of the problems like this.

Someone mentioned that another company is making these and they’re actually better than Volkswagen brand.

I don’t want to try to rig this thing but I’m looking for a better replacement?

Would someone please let me know where I can get a better under hood insulation blanket for my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen?

Thanks!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The OEM replacement is much improved compared to the original on my 2010 Golf TDI. I'm not sure when it was improved, but your comment about the tabs makes me think you have the older version like I had. The new one is lighter and more rigid. It's more foam-like than fibrous. It has a metal heat reflector too. It also doesn't droop like the original. It's a great improvement! I don't think you'll be disappointed. My new one is great!

new hood insulation thread

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
One that mice won't eat?

2010 JSW. After a crash with a deer on the way to work in the dark at 5:30 in the morning at 2 below zero F. They replaced my hood and liner with the one described as being more rigid and had aluminum heat reflectors on it and the rodents still chose to chew it up. I really think the rodents liked my frost heater at night and loved whatever VW puts in for a flavor to these hood liners. :D

cliballe

TDI
2010 Jetta
The OEM replacement is much improved compared to the original on my 2010 Golf TDI. I'm not sure when it was improved, but your comment about the tabs makes me think you have the older version like I had. The new one is lighter and more rigid. It's more foam-like than fibrous. It has a metal heat reflector too. It also doesn't droop like the original. It's a great improvement! I don't think you'll be disappointed. My new one is great!

new hood insulation thread
I had the original hood insulation on mine swapped out under warranty because it had become droopy at the firewall over the turbo/DPF area. They put on the revised version you all are talking about and here several years later it too has begun to droop like the original. It did last longer than the first one which also made a nasty black stain on the engine cover that I had the dealership clean off. The revised one hasn't stained the cover again, but I'll probably replace the insulation after the free-er flowing exhaust I have been considering... and hopefully it won't droop again with the lower engine compartment temps that result!

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
See my thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=467085

Yep the original hood insulation had thick batting and got heavy and sagged badly. The new version of hood insulation is ridged and thinner and lighter. It will look awesome and stay put with existing clip locations. Yes it has aluminum heat shield in one place. Buy the new hood insulation and new clips if needed. The installation takes a few minutes.

I bought mine on eBay from an OEM online VW parts dealer. You may want to check you local dealer. They may give you a good price and have it the next day. Trust me this is the way to go.

Last edited:

cliballe

TDI
2010 Jetta
Sorry OP, you've got a 2013 MKVI and I'm commenting on my MKV experiences.

Looking at gmcjetpilot's thread the design of your revised hood insulation is completely different from my revised insulation. You guys have several more (larger) tabs than I do.

Pictures of what I am talking about:

(tabs pop out of place)

(tabs pop back in place but fall right out when hood is only lowered and not closed)