Polar FIS+

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
yes I have the PF05 beta installed but it's not ready for prime time yet. Still some things to work in the firmware out before it is retail ready.

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
yes I have the PF05 beta installed but it's not ready for prime time yet. Still some things to work in the firmware out before it is retail ready.
So with the new firmware it will be compatible with both the pre and post MQB platforms?

Originally I thought that MQB had to do with the new digital display on the newer VWs... now I know it does not. I have corrected my thinking.

Last edited:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
These units look really interesting. I would consider one for the 07 GTI if I could find one that fits!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
'07 GTI is MK5 right? They have one that should work.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
great news!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
is that video showing the coolant being a -126C but the oil being 99C?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You may have to keep waiting, you do realize that's what live data does when reving the car right? cruising at highway speeds things should be pretty steady.

I think you can just one data point displayed per scrolling screen right? My guess is that kerma just wanted to show all the points that could be displayed

Also you can switch between screens if you get distracted easily.

bitslop

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S Manual
You may have to keep waiting, you do realize that's what live data does when reving the car right? cruising at highway speeds things should be pretty steady.
Meh, I agree with him. The way the labels are not fixed in position, and dance around based on variable size, is rather amateurish. There is no reason the labels need to move around with the data position.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.

I think you can just one data point displayed per scrolling screen right? My guess is that kerma just wanted to show all the points that could be displayed

Also you can switch between screens if you get distracted easily.
Not so. Look at Kerma's video, then look at THIS ONE. In Kerma's, the information is indexed to the center of the display causing the individual lines to jump around independent of each other. In the second video, the parameters are indexed to the left margin of the display and there's no movement except for the changing values.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not so. Look at Kerma's video, then look at THIS ONE. In Kerma's, the information is indexed to the center of the display causing the individual lines to jump around independent of each other. In the second video, the parameters are indexed to the left margin of the display and there's no movement except for the changing values.
Ahh I see it now, still think a driving video would show better real world use of the system.

Still curious how the coolant could be -126 and still flowing.

Obviously polar auto is trying but what was supposed to be released in March and then is "released" in June hopefully they give it another go, as kerning shouldn't be that tough to implement, OEM displays are like that too.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I wish that someone who knows would comment on whether the kerning is or is not something that can be adjusted in the set-up of the unit. I'll ask on Auto Polar's website.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
That's the older PolarFIS for the MK6. All the MK7 (MQB) videos I've seen do have the fluctuating measuring blocks which does seem odd. Not sure I'd like that. Maybe it's an easy solution for them to fix the characters in one spot and font size.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
That's the older PolarFIS for the MK6. All the MK7 (MQB) videos I've seen do have the fluctuating measuring blocks which does seem odd. Not sure I'd like that. Maybe it's an easy solution for them to fix the characters in one spot and font size.
I made an inquiry about it on the Auto Polar website, but haven't received a reply yet. I'll post here when I do.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I'm trying to install mine today, looking for instructions on removing the lower dash panel (without breaking stuff).
With the panel in place I can see and reach up above the brake pedal and get to the plug, but not really enough room zip tie the box in securely without removing the panel and likely some other stuff just for access.

Any tutorials or videos on lower dash removal?

UPDATE
Figured it out.
Several screws at bottom of dash, three behind the under dash storage bin. One screw under black end panel at end of dash (covered when door is closed). To remove the end panel pry or pull it straight out, one clip top, bottom, and back.
Remove panel beside accelerator, one screw visible, then pull down.
Then the under dash panel will pull straight down and unclip left and right of steering column....
Except the extended front edge of the console has the lower dash panel trapped. I was able to peel it back unclipping three places and then remove the lower dash panel. However, reinstalling the front end of the console at the end was tremendously difficult.
I suspect the real way to do this involves removing the center console first.

I didn't break anything, but may have just been lucky.

Plugging in the Polar FIS was no trouble. The original wiring harness has one clip holding it to the under dash structure, if you remove that you can use the same hole to zip tie the unit in place, mine fit well standing tall.

Same time I removed headlight switch, everything above the center console storage door, dash trim, dash, and also the CarNet module. Can't remember if the headlight switch needs to come out for removing the lower dash or not..

Grigg

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so if an new Rev of the software comes out to fix that kerning? You'd have to rip that all apart again?

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
I have had my lower dash apart since last Tuesday now. When I connect my Polar FIS, my car is not happy. Headunit is on constantly, big spark when I connect battery and nothing loads on headunit. It tells me to"switch on the ignition to adjust settings" when I am driving down the road. Trying to stay in contact with Kerma to figure out what is going on. I updated before first installation and just checked for a new update last night.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I just got an e-mail reply from Auto Polar and the rep asked for the link to KERMA's video. Progress.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
so if an new Rev of the software comes out to fix that kerning? You'd have to rip that all apart again?
No, it comes with a USB cable for updates.
I left the cable connected and coiled beside fuse panel accessed behind under dash storage bin.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
So, after several e-mails back and forth with Auto Polar, it appears that the problem is with the MFD that VW uses in the MQB platform. It is a different unit than what is used in the MK VI cars, where the alignment of the data is apparently easier to adjust. They are working on it but, for now anyway, you will have to put up with the lines of the display moving around. Looks like I'll be living with my ScanGauge for a while longer...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, it comes with a USB cable for updates.
I left the cable connected and coiled beside fuse panel accessed behind under dash storage bin.
Nice, makes sense.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, after several e-mails back and forth with Auto Polar, it appears that the problem is with the MFD that VW uses in the MQB platform. It is a different unit than what is used in the MK VI cars, where the alignment of the data is apparently easier to adjust. They are working on it but, for now anyway, you will have to put up with the lines of the display moving around. Looks like I'll be living with my ScanGauge for a while longer...

Wonder if its MQB clusters in the North American market or all clusters out there.

They'll have support for the digital dash/virtual cockpit "right around the corner too"

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Wonder if its MQB clusters in the North American market or all clusters out there.
They'll have support for the digital dash/virtual cockpit "right around the corner too"
Auto Polar is in Europe, and the MQB cars have been in production over there since '12 or '13 IIRC. I doubt the clusters for the NA cars are different but, given that it is VW, who knows for sure...