Oil comsumption

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, they probably recommend 5w-40 as ok for emergency top-ups because they are all synthetic diesel rated oils. Whereas most 5w-30 oils are not. I'd rather top up with 5w-40 than drive all over town down a quart hunting for 507.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd rather top up with a Diesel oil that's rated for DPF usage, than blindly putting any 5w40.

Diesel oil and DPF rated oil are the biggest things to be worried about. With the number of DPF on the road these days DPF rated oil shouldn't be hard to find.

M1 ESP M 5w40 ran fine in mt 2010 but it also has the same MB and BMW rating as their M1 ESP 5W30 rating.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd rather top up with a Diesel oil that's rated for DPF usage, than blindly putting any 5w40.

Diesel oil and DPF rated oil are the biggest things to be worried about. With the number of DPF on the road these days DPF rated oil shouldn't be hard to find.

M1 ESP M 5w40 ran fine in mt 2010 but it also has the same MB and BMW rating as their M1 ESP 5W30 rating.
You'll find that all 5w-40 oils are synthetic with a diesel rating. The vast majority are now also dpf compatible. The mobil 1 5w-40 Formula M ESP no longer exists(it wasn't much more commonly available than 507 anyhow).

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Also shouldnt a guy ha e extra oil on hand? I usta carry a quart in my BRM. As of right now the CRUA doesnt use any but if it did i would carry a quart with me at all times and not have to worry. Dont be that guy at Caseys buying the Caseys brand oil topping up. Idparts sells most by the quart. Buy an extra quart or 5 however many ya need and be ready if your car needs that extra attention.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All 507 oils are not 100% synthentic.
Yawn. The group iii synthetic debate was settled in this country 20 years ago. 99.9% of car owners don't give a damn about group iii, group iv, group v. What really matters is how well the oil lubricates and holds up to use. Group iii/iv oil blends have proven themselves to be fantastic oils.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also shouldnt a guy ha e extra oil on hand? I usta carry a quart in my BRM. As of right now the CRUA doesnt use any but if it did i would carry a quart with me at all times and not have to worry.

It doesn't use any until it does ;) . I like to carry a quart in the back too- only ever needed it once on a long road trip.

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
My previous 2 TDi's didn't use a quart between changes....the 2006 was only 5000mi but the 2009 goes 10K. I check it regularly and in over 100Kmi on the 2009 and 180K mi on the 2006 I never used more than about half a quart. Was on a trip today in the 2015 Sportwagen and had the warning light come on. Never seen that one before. I checked the oil and it wasn't down a whole quart. Being in the backwoods the only oil I could find was in a 5 liter jug....no other diesel stuff at all. The synthetics were all marked for gasoline engines and the ones that did have VW codes were all 505. I wonder where all that oil went in only 6000 miles? Maybe thats why this thing is doing regens all the time and getting such erratic mileage? Turbo oil leak?

The first 2 oil changes didn't dump a whole quart but this one is going to be over that....what gives? 38K miles so far.

Frank

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Who's changing the oil for you ride the dealer? ask for an extra bottle at the service desk and toss in the trunk.

With the '15 there is an oil sensor that was non existent on TDI's before, they just had an oil pressure switch. This sensor give temp, and level, it will alarm if over filled as well as under filled. So while if someone put in a 1/2 qt shy of full last oil change, you may have just burned through a 1/2 qt but see that you can put in a fill qrt to fill it up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You'll find that all 5w-40 oils are synthetic with a diesel rating. The vast majority are now also dpf compatible. The mobil 1 5w-40 Formula M ESP no longer exists(it wasn't much more commonly available than 507 anyhow).

trust but verify :D

My local NAPA had scores of ESP M 5w40 in stock that I was able to scoop up few years ago when they had a sale. It sure beat paying the $13/L pep boys charged for the 5W30.

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
The dealership has been doing oil changes since everything is still under warranty.

I always check the level when picking it up and also make sure everything else has been done or is in its proper place. Can't see the drain plug anymore since there is a panel under there but I look at everything I can see.

I did think about them not filling completely since the last change was fine. . . I may never know unless it starts using a lot of oil all the time.....

Frank