Lower intercooler hose leak

DocMaddie

TDI
2005 Jetta Mk IV TDI GLS Wagon
Had a shop install the Dieselgeek full metal jacket. About 5 miles after picking it up, developed a loud turbo leak/hiss, from the passenger side wheel well. I have already done the dog collar upgrade for the upper hose. Called the shop and confirmed that they had removed the lower hose when installing the skidplate.

Got under the car tonight and surprise surprise, the lower intercooler hose was loose at the fitting to the intercooler. That stupid clip that is similar to the one I fixed with the dog collar on the upper hose. I can not for the life of me get this thing to lock back into place, probably worn out. What an awful design.

I would like to avoid having to deal with taking this back to the shop, and also even though they are a VW shop, they kind of screwed this up once so I am worried they might do so again. What is the best fix for this mess? I have seen discussions of this problem but no-one having a good solution. Tried a wire-tie temporary fix which was a fail. Don't want to screw it in out of concern for messing with the airflow dynamics.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Those connectors suck - nothing really that the shop did wrong, but they usually don't wear out like the upper one. I jammed a NAPA oring part number 1108 (easy for me to remember) in all those connections and ran 30+PSI with no issues. It's a serious tight fit - you'll need to force the two parts together after greasing them up, but they'll never come apart again without trying.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Did you remove the 10mm hex nut from the stud that holds the pancake pipe in place? Mine popped out recently also because I did not have it installed properly after doing my timing belt. I found it easier to work from the front, ahead of the tire, and pull toward the IC. Grab the pancake pipe. The barbs were worn on my small hose which I eventually replaced. The part number is stamped on the hose, but do not use any solvent to clean it or the number disappears.

DocMaddie

TDI
2005 Jetta Mk IV TDI GLS Wagon
Gave up and took it back to the shop, put it on the lift which gave better leverage and it went right in. The Full Metal Jacket limited some of the working room which made it that more difficult. It's on tight now and 100+ miles driven with no problems.