Vag 401 scanner by XTOOL

2015 GOLF TDI S

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Does anyone know anything about this scanner or have this scanner? This scanner goes from $80-$150. I am new to this site and don't know much about Diesel engine. upon researching how to replace the FF on my '11 jetts TDI a/t DSG tranny I find out I have to prime the fuel system. There is a post on youtube the guy primed a 2010 tdi with this scanner after FF change. I want to know will this work scanner do the same for my "11 Jetta TDi? If so will I be ok if I follow exactly what the guy did in his video far as selecting the codes of values? I know nothing about these things.

Also, will this scanner read the dsg trans. fluid temperature? There is no video by this same guy about this I can find. Here are the supported systems this scanner has:
COMMON: IN INSTRUMENTS HERE ARE AVAILABLE FUNCTIONS:
01-engine 01-Controller info
02-auto trans. 02 fault codes
03-abs brakes 05-clear codes
08-auto hvac 08 measure blocks
09-airbags
15-steering wheel
17-instruments etc..

Does anyone know this scanner able to read DSG fluid temp. and is it in the measuring blocks section? I saw some post on the VCDS and in VCDS to read the Trans. temp. it was in the measuring block.

I am in process of learning the Diesel engine and want to do my own maintenance much as possible. Any help from the Veterans of the Diesl vehicle will be GREATLY appreciated. Oh, I hope I am posting in the correct heading as well.

btw...here is the link to FF prime with this tool on youtube.

2010 Jetta TDI fuel system prime with Xtool scantool - YouTube

► 4:54► 4:54

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B001-2jdt_M

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I have zero experience with this scanner so I can't say, for sure, if it will do what you want. However, if it can actually read measuring blocks from the transmission controller, it should work. That is all that is necessary. Since this device probably doesn't have label files (like VCDS) that tell you what every measuring block does, it might be necessary to find out which field in measuring block group 019 is the transmission fluid temperature. I do not have a DSG, so I can't tell you.

The only way to really know for sure how well this will work would be if someone who has one speaks up, or get one yourself. If you get one, let us know how well it works.

Have Fun!

Don

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Wow 54 views and no input! Come on guys...
Dood. Your subject title could mean anything, turns out your question relates to a rare tool probably no one else has, and you've waited less than 12 hours before berating everyone in a forum you've just joined about a lack of response. :(

Last edited:

2015 GOLF TDI S

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Dood. Your subject title could mean anything, turns out your question relates to a rare tool probably no one else has, and you've waited less than 12 hours before berating everyone in a forum you've just joined about a lack of response. :(

It wasn't my intention to offend any members, if I did I apologize. Guess I need to be little more patient.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Just agreeing with Don... you're probably going to have to wait a little while until someone who has one chimes in.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The tool you really want is here:

http://www.ross-tech.com/

I will leave it to you to look them up here. I haven't heard of "anything" that does better even for thousands more dollars. Most everything else similar is a cheap copy of this and most won't work on any of the newer cars. Many here have and use this.

vinculum

TDI
2009 Sportwagen TDI, 2005 Wagon TDI
I bought one of these (VAG401) just to prime the fuel pumps after fuel filter changes. It works great on my 2009 JSW if you just follow that youtube video and do the same thing. Check Ebay for the best price ($66 - free shipping, no tax) I also didn't want to drag my laptop out every time I wanted to read a code or do some work. I'm very happy with the product for the amount of money spent. I don't know if any of this information will help you, but since not many people have left you feedback I figured I'd throw my 2 cents your way. Best of luck!

Last edited:

2015 GOLF TDI S

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
I bought one of these (VAG401) just to prime the fuel pumps after fuel filter changes. It works great on my 2009 JSW if you just follow that youtube video and do the same thing. Check Ebay for the best price ($66 - free shipping, no tax) I also didn't want to drag my laptop out every time I wanted to read a code or do some work. I'm very happy with the product for the amount of money spent. I don't know if any of this information will help you, but since not many people have left you feedback I figured I'd throw my 2 cents your way. Best of luck!

Thanks for your reply, greatly appreciate it. I had the dealer do the diesel fuel filter replacement and I asked service writer if the mechanic primed the fuel system and he said no. The service writer didn't even know this until I asked him and he had to ask the mechanic for the answer.Being a VW dealer and all I assumed the service writer would be knowledgeable about this things. I am going to order this scan tool and will do the ff change myself next time.

Can you answer me one more question? Can this scan tool read DSG Trans. fluid temp. ? I am due for 40 k trans service in 500 miles as of right now my intention is to drail & refill the the exact amount of trans. fluid that drained out plus .01 liter to compensate for the filter & housing since I don't have a scan tool that can read the trans. temp. I don't want to spend $370 for the dealer to the service.

vinculum

TDI
2009 Sportwagen TDI, 2005 Wagon TDI
No problem. I'm not sure about the DSG question, as I don't have a DSG. There is a submenu for "Automatic Transmission" but I don't have a reason to go there and push wrong buttons, so I stay out. If you get the tool, let us know if it works with the DSG. For $66 its hard to go wrong.

Next time around I'm going to get an auto. I don't normally mind shifting, but when i get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic I get the painful foot cramps. Luckily thats not too often.

penclnck

The service writer didn't even know this until I asked him and he had to ask the mechanic for the answer.Being a VW dealer and all I assumed the service writer would be knowledgeable about this things.
They are service writers, not techs. Their job is to make you feel appreciated as a customer, not fix cars or know ever technical detail about said cars.

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf TDI, '00 Jetta TDI(SOLD), '84 Rabbit 5sp NA(SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI(SOLD)
For what its worth, I just ordered a new DSG from Dubble's to go in the '06. Jennifer told me they use this exact tool to reset the basic settings after an install and to check the fluid level. They sell it for $104 I will probably order one from eBay to use since I have two TDIs and will continue to for the foreseeable future.

johngfc

TDI
Jetta sportwagen
Now ~ $40 on Amazon. Not in the same class as VCDS, but it'll pay for itself with one fuel filter change.