Hood Insulation?

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The insulation under the hood will not say in there slots.The three tabs in the back keep coming out.Would that be covered under waranty,or is there a way to fix it?

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Mine was starting to sag and rubbing the engine cover. Turned the plastic black. Dealer warranted it out for me, no problems.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
if it's your '10 then i would take it back to the dealer, ........mine is removed, serves no purpose other than sounds deadening
Maybe serves no purpose on your's, but on mine, I'd like to think it keeps the engine heat from cooking the hood...also keeps heat in the engine compartment, which I believe is a good thing for diesels...:p

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
CR TDIs run hot(ter) so I think you might want to ensure better cooling of them rather than a better 'heating'.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
if it's your '10 then i would take it back to the dealer, ........mine is removed, serves no purpose other than sounds deadening

It the 09 that has the problem.I give them a call and see what happens.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Maybe serves no purpose on your's, but on mine, I'd like to think it keeps the engine heat from cooking the hood...also keeps heat in the engine compartment, which I believe is a good thing for diesels...:p
Well Said ! "Serves no purpose" to whom said this audio engineer?

Okay, ok,,, cut the guy some slack. Man its cold in here...

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Question: does the '10 Jetta TDI come with the hood insulation? Bought my car used and did not have it installed. Took the insulation blanket of a '09 from the wreckers and was going to install it but....

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Yes they do.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The insulator on my car kept dropping too. It was replaced under warranty and the new one came with a heat shield on it.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Thanks that good to here.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Does anyone have a part number for the new one with the heat shield? Mine has been sagging in my 06.5 had the dealer look at it last year and they said it wasn't covered because the considered it a cosmetic flaw. So I used some Super77 and glued the parts to the hood that where sagging.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Another use for old political signage

Volks:

I was having the same problem with Graycie, my '06 Jetta and made some inserts to hold the hood mat in the rear slots. Mine was out of warranty at the time so it was on me to find a solution. I used some old corrugated plastic sheet that had been used as a yard sign for a past election and made some "helpers" that insert into the slots and keep the rear tabs of the hood mat in their place. I will snap a few images of what I made and how they work later today.

Dan

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Hood mat retainers

Volks:
Here are the images I promised in a previous post

Image 1-Picture of all 3 retainers installed in hood slots

Image 2-Close up of middle retainer inserted in hood slot

Image 3-Close up of shape of retainer

Image 4-Picture of typical campaign sign used for donor material

Image 5 & 6-Picture showing end view of sign material and corrugation

Last edited:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Jason:

Good suggestion, and to be totally honest I never even thought of doing that! Painting them would certainly hide them better, but it would have made them harder to see in the pictures too. Now that the images are posted I should get out the spray can.

Dan

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Just go by the MB dealer and pick up a can of hood pad adhesive. It's like Super 77 except you don't wind up with bits of hood pad stuck to your car if you ever need to peel it off. Use liberally.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Volks:

I was having the same problem with Graycie, my '06 Jetta and made some inserts to hold the hood mat in the rear slots. Mine was out of warranty at the time so it was on me to find a solution. I used some old corrugated plastic sheet that had been used as a yard sign for a past election and made some "helpers" that insert into the slots and keep the rear tabs of the hood mat in their place. I will snap a few images of what I made and how they work later today.

Dan

Nice job.I don't know if It would work on the CR.Because of the heat it puts out during a regen it might melt.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
MonsterTDI09:

Never thought about that possibility either. Driving a PD and not having regen cycles to worry about could cause that. You could try testing a piece of the material in the engine compartment somewhere that it would be safe if it did melt and let us know the results. Do you know how hot it gets in there? I don't know that I'd like to use my Wife's stove to do a heat test, but that is also a possibility. BTW, I like the quote you have in your Sig. Says alot about some of the "quirkyness" we've all experienced as VW owners.

Dan

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Does anyone have a part number for the new one with the heat shield? Mine has been sagging in my 06.5 had the dealer look at it last year and they said it wasn't covered because the considered it a cosmetic flaw. So I used some Super77 and glued the parts to the hood that where sagging.
The insulator they put in my car is p#1K0-863-831-D.

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
my home made hood insulation clip

Got fed up with the hanging insulation so I had to do what VW engineers failed to do. :) make a clip that will hold the insulation in place.

Took a strip of aluminum and formed it into the following shape
and spray painted black. here's the first prototype, will create two more
if I like how it performs over time.

Here's the clip installed

Another view

MonsterTDI09

TDI
It looks good. I wonder if the tap would stay if you put in the middle? Have a metal wedge like they use in axe handel to make tight fit and have it lock over the the front lip?

Last edited:

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Binder Clips

I used binder clips available from Office Max or similar stores.

Last edited:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I used binder clips available from Office Max or similar stores.
I coincidentally came up with the same idea yesterday. I'm using smaller clips with the exception of one big one on the left side by antifreeze reservoir. The clips at the back of the bay seem very close to the gasket. I'm going to study the situation the next few days and see if they leave a mark. Do you think they are secure and won't vibrate loose?

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Great Minds Think Alike!

I coincidentally came up with the same idea yesterday. I'm using smaller clips with the exception of one big one on the left side by antifreeze reservoir. The clips at the back of the bay seem very close to the gasket. I'm going to study the situation the next few days and see if they leave a mark. Do you think they are secure and won't vibrate loose?
I have had the clips on for about a year and they never vibrated loose. But they did start to rust. They do hold the insulation in place securely.

Grisoman

TDI
2010 Jetta
I just folded used rubber spin-on oil filter gaskets and stuffed them in the slots with a bit exposed. Works well and zero fab effort.