www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old July 27th, 2018, 02:37   #256
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

I drive Uber and Lyft in my fixed Passat. So I'm cranking out a LOT of miles.

Since the fix I've noticed ZERO change in highway mileage, averaging in the upper 40's on long highway trips, mostly 46-49 mpg. (I Drive to Colorado 3-4 times a year to visit family) and have gotten 765-780 miles out of a tank.

In city mileage which I tend to do a lot with Uber/Lyft, I'm solidly in the mid to upper 30's. Most of the time averaging 37-39 in combined driving around the city with some stretches of highway.

Since I bought 3 of my 2015's new, but after the first phase fix from a VW dealer, I have nothing as far as a True "Before" baseline. But after the 2nd Phase, There was zero difference in mileage from before the 2nd phase was done.

I've got 68,000 miles on my Uber/Lyft Passat, so I feel like the engine is broken in, so I think this is the mileage I'm going to get from now on.

The Golf Wagon has 19k on it, so it's still seems tight, but the on board computer reads 46 most days on my wife's 30 mile highway commute to work. ( I know.. it's a bit higher than true mileage). The Beetle Convertible isn't driven enough to tell any difference, and with 3400 miles, the engine is still too new to give consistant mileage, as is the other Passat (5100 miles).

Overall, I'm not displeased with the car's after-fix performance or mileage. It seems to shift well, accelerate well, and doesn't have any real issues. The DEF usage seems a bit higher, with the car barely making the 10k oil change interval before counting down to 4-500 miles left on DEF range.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2018, 13:11   #257
Graham Line
Veteran Member

After several months (fix in April) and one 5000-mile road trip, the car ('12 Golf 2D, 6M) seems to have stabilized at slightly higher highway fuel economy (was mid-40s, now high 40s to 50) and worse city (was 35, now 32).

Fuel is general Chevron, with 4 oz of Power Service White every other fill, which generally happens at the 1/3 remaining mark. Car is a little more finicky to drive around town, and strong at 60-70 mph.
Graham Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2018, 19:21   #258
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

What I am reading is the GEN 1 FIX IS A WINNER!!!

Why do I say this. Look at this thread.

1) MPG dropped a bit? No real rigorous numbers. I lost a few MPG, but I have no hard numbers. Power seems fine even great.

2) Shifts at higher RPM? I have DSG and have not noticed.

3) My observation, more short RE-GENS, which you would not notice unless you were monitoring EGTs (Re-Gen EGT ~ 1200F, normal cruise 500-800F). Before I got one 7-10 minute Re-gen every tank full-up, which for me was about 3.5 weeks or +600 miles. Now I see several short RE-GENS ever tank. They seem to last only one to three minutes. Do many short Re-Gens cook the Turbo? Time will tell. Again 4 year and 40K mile warranty is pretty good. At the end of warranty I will consider doing things with the Turbo and HPFP. (BTW I do a turbo cool down when I park, wait until EGT is below 400F. Also if a Re-Gen is in process while driving, I will drive until it ends if I can.)

Bottom line so far the FIX WORKS and COMPLAINTS are small. (If you disagree let us know.)

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; August 5th, 2018 at 19:33.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 03:54   #259
ksing44
Veteran Member

^^For me, the fix isn't a winner, but the cash and the extended warranty are big winners!!! I don't enjoy the extra regen activity. Even the shorter ones make the car run in a jerky uneven manner. I think it also cost my a dpf and some time without my car, but it was covered under the new warranty and it might have happened anyway.

And I never liked the long regens. It seemed it happened most often just as I was pulling into my neighborhood or into my driveway after a long commute home from work. Like you, I'd drive around to let it complete. Driving around for 10 or more minutes is the last thing I wanted to do after an hour commute to get home at night.

But I still love driving my car and the fix provided the extra money and the warranty. I'm good until 2021! That will be 11 years and more than 200K miles for me in the car. That will be a very good run for a car. After that I might do an experiment with the tune delete thing do rid myself of the regens, or I might skip the experiment and just get a new MK8 GTI.
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP!, The Fix - 9/27/17 @153,289 miles

Flickr slideshow
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 09:58   #260
AronS

Fuel Economy: 48-49 (summer)

I had my 2014 Jetta 6M fixed back in November. Other than a 1-2 MPG dip in fuel economy, performance differences have been minimal or not noticeable. The only issue I've had occurred at the beginning of the summer: a P0401 code (related to EGR, and a few others posted about similar issues), but, again, the repair was fortunately covered by the new warranty. I only hope that this is not a recurring issue from the fix as it would cost a fortune to do it after the warranty expires. Other than that, I've been very happy that I did the fix over the buyback.

It sounds like most performance related complaints on this thread are from those with DSGs?

Also, my low coolant indicator came on about halfway on my 2 hour drive home after picking my car up for the above-mentioned warranty repair from the nearest dealer. When I called the the dealer, they said it was common issue after the coolant system has been flushed. Is this true? I bought coolant and topped it off. No issues since.

Last edited by AronS; August 6th, 2018 at 10:03.
AronS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 19:15   #261
fastalan
Veteran Member

In general, I am satisfied with the fix for my 2010 TDI. The long regen can be a bit annoying especially if I am about to park the car. This almost always forces me to hit the highway or find some free road and drive another 10-15 minutes.
fastalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 14:47   #262
rfortson
Veteran Member

Just checking in to report on my wife's 2012 Jetta. She had the fix and we finally took a roadtrip to check it out. Checking numbers on fuel used vs miles driven, her mileage dropped about 9-10 mpg, from ~46mpg to ~37mpg. Overall, she's still happy and she likes having the extra warranty.

She also had an occasional diesel smell in the cabin during regen (that of course the dealer could never replicate/fix), but that seems to be gone since the fix. So all in all, the fix isn't terrible given all the perks, but the car isn't the miracle machine it seemed to be before.
Old August 10th, 2018, 15:10   #263
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

I just got back from a trip up to door county. The mileage had some freeway, but plenty of rural and crowded up in Sister Bay type driving. I filled it before I left. I just filled and did a manual calculation. It says 45.18 mpg via pencil and paper. My car's computer says 46.7 It seems good by me. Car runs decently in my view. Lets just hope it stays that way. I had the second fix done a week back.

Last edited by leicaman; August 10th, 2018 at 15:43. Reason: clarity
leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2018, 16:26   #264
Galo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
Bottom line so far the FIX WORKS and COMPLAINTS are small. (If you disagree let us know.)
I disagree.
Gen 1 fix SUCKS. Malone Stage 1 two weeks after the fix (aka neutering) and I am still mucho happy.
Owain and Mark Malone are my TDI Heroes

Last edited by Galo; August 17th, 2018 at 17:03.
Galo is offline   Reply With Quote