check engine oil in warm?

jqian

Veteran Member
According to my user manual, it suggested check oil level couple of minutes after the engine stops. That time, the engine is still warm. Manual says it's more accurate. I wonder why? Can I do this after engine is totally cool down? Will the level be higher after I get up in the morning? Which is really more accurate?
Usually how often you guys check the level? I am at 1500km break-in.
thanks

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
You'll get the most consistent readings if you do it in the mornings, because this engine takes forever for the oil to drip down to the pan... This is good if you wish to monitor whether or not your engine uses any oil, but it's not what VW says to do... (I imagine it's probably a shade higher measuring that way, but I need to know if I'm using any, so I check it in the morning... also avoids introducing any contaminants - lint - from the material used to wipe down the dipstick... not needed in the morning...)

All the best,

Yuri.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
You'll get the most accurate reading following the factory's guidelines which says check the oil 3 - 5 minutes following a hot shutdown. It's consistent and repeatable. Checking the oil in the morning gives false high readings.

I have the bulletin should anyone need to see it.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wow, seems there is a conflict.
Is there any theory supporting why cold engine has higher level oil, or vice versa?
My I see the bulletin please?

jqian, let's forget about conflicting theories and opinions. Let's deal with factual information and guidance provided by the designers of the Volkswagen cars.

You take a look at the owner's manual for your car and tell us what it says. I'll dig up the bulletin and I can guarantee you it says what I stated above. Let’s compare notes.

jqian

Veteran Member
I quote here:
"After turning off the engine, wait a few minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan"
"Pull out dipstick......" blah, blah, everyone knows

Another statement says: "The best time to check the engine oil level is when the oil is warm".

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I don't think this needs to be adversarial or even either or. I think you can do both! You just have to know what you are looking for in either or both conditions!

It is sort of like the dictum check your tire pressure when cold. Well, what happens when you have to check it when it is hot?

So in the case of the owners manual oil level checking procedure, just make sure you check it in the recommended time and you should find your level between the two hash marks. When it hits the lower hash mark it needs to be filled to the high hash mark. When you are satisfied you have this procedure then let it sit over night and see where the oil level is the next day. Bottom line is is should be no higher than the upper bend in the dipstick!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I quote here:

Another statement says: "The best time to check the engine oil level is when the oil is warm".
No way, does it really say that

Here's documentation showing difference in oil levels checked "cold" oil (car sat overnight) VS. "warm" oil (oil at operating temp):

"COLD" OIL:

"HOT" OIL:

Is there a difference
I think I can see a difference.

I looked at the owner's manuals for my 5 vehicles last night. They all generally say the same thing.

In summary:

<ul type="square"> [*]Oil should be checked at every fuel fill up [*]Oil should be checked "warm" and within 5 minutes of shutting down [*]vehicle must be parked on level surface [*]oil level must be within the "cross-hatched" zone [/list]

I can find no reference to checking oil level after a vehicle has been parked overnight and the oil is cold.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is sort of like the dictum check your tire pressure when cold. Well, what happens when you have to check it when it is hot?
ruking, you're generally correct but it leads to further interpretation by the operator of defining what's "hot" and what's "cold". Is the car being run in Alaska or Miami? When you can't trust the general public to tie their own shoes, adding this temperature "attribute" to checking engine oil could become a disaster. This also can be witnessed by the fact that you can no longer check the auto trans fluid level 'cause the operator can't determine the temperature of the fluid in the transmission....same dilemma. So, to simplify, mfrs tell people to check the engine oil level when the engine is up to temp so there is a uniform basis of comparison. VWoA has had huge issues with this and issued the TSB covering it. How many car companies need to issue a 5 page technical bulletin explaining how to check the oil level
Crazy stuff but it's reality.

If your dipstick reading is in the upper portion of the cross-hatched area, regardless of engine oil temp, you should be “safe”. The VW’s cross-hatched area is very short compared to other cars meaning they consider that level critical, IMO. On my GM car, that cross-hatched zone is two or three times longer than the VW but the cars both have the same sump capacity.
I am most comfortable keeping the hot oil level close to the top of the cross-hatched area and never have any worries with this strategy...on any vehicle

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Advise Customer to on how to properly check oil level every time he or she refuels the vehicle (see Page 3).

(Cont. on Page 3)

Check oil level at each refueling as follows:

– Place vehicle on level surface.

– Let engine run until engine operating temperature is approx. 60C (140F), (usually when cooling fan cycles at least once).

– Switch ignition off, wait at least 3 minutes, pull out the dipstick and wipe it with a clean cloth.

– Reinsert the dipstick; push it all the way in.

– Pull dipstick out again and read level.

shocking! This is simply shocking!