Billet Compressor Wheel - GTB2260VK

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
majesty78; said:
You really think I am going to share my manufacturers?
Yes you are 100% correct, WTH was I thinking!!
:eek: Sorry about that!
This was not pointed in your direction, as you did not ask this question ;-)
No reason to apologize for you here!
I sent you a PM Alex in the hope of gaining a response seeing as we both worked together to get the AMG turbines out there in the first place all those years ago, shame our supplier sold to anyone who enquired but that's life...

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I guess both of you are now in the same position as the people who you call "anyone who enquired'', concerning the light, slim heart, 51mm 9 blade wheel which our russian friend from spain was boosting almost 1.5 years ago, with excellent performance hence not always so excellent oil sealing :D

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
well that is how it works, I'm not doing the Digging and R&D for anyone any more, being the first just cost money.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I would like to do a same-size Billet wheel for a couple reasons. 1) I think it may be a tiny bit more reliable. 2) I would like a shop to have a look at this turbo. My friend that I got this turbo from claims it is brand new, and it certainly looks brand new but it was not in a box and it was missing one of the housing captive washer bolts. He claims he robbed it for another turbo and never got around to replacing it. He did give me a proper bolt but it is not exactly the same as the others. It is a peace of mind thing for me
An OEM wheel will almost certainly be more "reliable" than any aftermarket one. I don't know where people get the idea that a low-volume run of such a highly engineered product, most likely done in a developing country, has better design, engineering, and QC in machining, raw material and total supply chain than OEM... :rolleyes:

By all means have a knowledgeable shop give it a once over for the reasons you stated, but it seems to me that you're way overthinking this.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
An OEM wheel will almost certainly be more "reliable" than any aftermarket one. I don't know where people get the idea that a low-volume run of such a highly engineered product, most likely done in a developing country, has better design, engineering, and QC in machining, raw material and total supply chain than OEM... :rolleyes:

By all means have a knowledgeable shop give it a once over for the reasons you stated, but it seems to me that you're way overthinking this.
I hear you. I have just learned that probably 90%, maybe more of the billet wheels are coming from one company in Malaysia. And I am not saying that they make an inferior product, I do not have the knowledge and experience to make such a statement.

But lets face it, every last part in these cars and much of everything else in life is now mass produced in a developing country. Garrett Turbos originally came from the defense corridor here in Los Angeles about 20 minutes away from here. This turbo was mass produced somewhere else now. Still a great turbo...

I have a storage shed full of brand new OEM motorcycle parts that are replaced as soon as I get a new bike home from the dealer. The materials used and the design of the parts are inferior to their aftermarket replacements. For example, the OEM piston, con rod, wrist pin, valves, valve seats, and valve guides are all prone to failure quicker then the superior aftermarket parts they are replaced with.

But this is not a Honda race motorcycle and I have no expertise here so I ask and I value the feedback all of you give.

I totally agree, in it's stock form and in it's intended application this turbo was designed to last the lifetime. And the more I read the more I lean towards just having shop look the turbo over just for peace of mind. For my current application this turbo is overqualified as is. The only thing I am unsure of is how I might feel 6 months after I complete this mod. For now I would like a nice power boost and keep it as reliable as possible. But in 6 months I may decide I want more...

No matter what, I am adding power which will shorten life span and accelerate maintenance schedules.

Before VW decided to fix existing new stock I had asked 2 dealers to put me down for at least one car if they did indeed come back on the market. I had speculated VW would offer them at a far reduced price just to get rid of them. VW did fix them and sell them but people lined up for them, at least around here they did, so there were no "good deals" to be had. I am currently looking for a really nice used model to replace a daily Toyota.

Last edited:

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
In general I do agree with you, and would even add, that cast wheels can have some advantage over a milled one in some certain applications.

On the other hand I have to say, that in the last 5 years I have not had one single return of these "developing country" wheels to date, and in all this time I only ONCE had a wheel which was not balanceable but was replaced under warranty without any questions.

However, as stated above, I do agree with you with the whole rest of your post.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
In general I do agree with you, and would even add, that cast wheels can have some advantage over a milled one in some certain applications.

On the other hand I have to say, that in the last 5 years I have not had one single return of these "developing country" wheels to date, and in all this time I only ONCE had a wheel which was not balanceable but was replaced under warranty without any questions.

However, as stated above, I do agree with you with the whole rest of your post.
Yes without a doubt I have been overthinking this. Lack of sleep and lack of experience with diesel mods have driven me to have OCD this :D:eek:
But I have learned a lot and I think you all for that!!!:)

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Excuse me if I deflect this thread for a bit, but several statements really tweaked me.

I understand what Ryan means,".. being the first just costs money." Creating a product and then having it taken by anybody with no consideration of your effort, lacks a matter of respect, if not morals. But most think, "It's just business." So, when you get the CRAP from China (As they steal everything and anything, patented or not) and they screw you royally with a product that inevitably goes downhill with 'quality fade', it becomes 'caveat emptor'.

We have been copied for a bolt we cannot possibly 'protect', and then those who 'borrow the idea' have been known to get the wrong bolt material. Oh well, not my problem...I recall one vendor requesting all the parts to assemble a cylinder head we make here. I refused him, as "We are creating assemblies. We are not, as you, a 'parts store". For not giving away all the branding and basically 'giving the entire list' for what we do, I got called,'an *******.' I think it's quite the opposite, as he sells one of my 'great ideas' and never even said 'Thank you.' What is worse, that person's most sold part, patented as it is, was not 'invented', but improved upon, so, mostly stolen. So, patents have their limits, too.

When you create a great idea, the only thing you can claim is, 'That was my great idea.' You can't patent many great ideas. And when it comes to morals, forget it. All you have to do is make a mention of it, and next thing you know, everyone does it. BRM oil pump sprockets and chains and tensioners on ALH engines, for example. I recall on one of the older turbo threads, one of the good builders was asked where he got his billet wheels. Of course, he refused to tell. Why not ask him, "What are all your secrets, that if you tell me, I don't need you and can do it all myself."

I am one of those people, who can't protect every item from theft, but Ryan, it's easier to steal that create. Always will be.

Same thing with creating our Molnar connecting rod. We cannot patent this 'great idea' connecting rod. If we didn't have our friend and producer with some honor, at least two people have tried to steal them; one, an English vendor and another was a vendor from the US. You can get them, but you have to go through me.

On the other hand, we know one of the other very well known rod providers and one of their manufacturers; all you have to do is ask, and that manufacturer will provide directly to you...thanks for your design, we'll keep the extra profit. What you don't know won't hurt you, right?

As I said, most great ideas cannot be patented. You create them, have a window of opportunity to protect them by secrecy, and then, great ideas are taken away. If you look closely, most who sell great ideas are not the ones to invent them and there are many who claim 'invention' or call it 'exclusive' and it's just more Baloney. Most claims of exclusive is just a marketing lie.

Right now, I am keeping many items that we do with our engine mods totally secret, to the point that even if you were to reverse engineer the part, you probably would not know what you are looking at. One of these days, if I feel like it, I'll share some of those secrets. Or maybe not.

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU

Actually it is likely the engineering was done in a highly developed country but was obtained through backdoor a means.. then relabeled and put into processing at a place where all that matters is the mighty dollar and its sold to you and me. Happens everyday.... and on a much larger scale.

Just sat through a federal presentation about the engineering world and how the information is literally given away through good intentions..... but people are losing jobs in large as corporations lose the ROI in big ways...

China has next to nothing as far as R&D infrastructure. They just have MFG over capacity... do the math...

Sorry posted because there's smart people here in Jobs the feds want this info to reach... but cant outright publicize it.

back on topic.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
mrmoto35 please tell me about your DSG upgrades.... Sent you a PM. Looking to do near the same as you, maybe less the cooler...