www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 7th, 2015, 11:41   #1
bprince

Default 05 Jetta BEW exhaust leak

i have had an exhaust leak for a while, pretty subtle. the strange thing is, it is more noticeable in the summer, and seems to be tied to the cabin temp controller. when set for full heat i don't notice the smell, when set for full cold i notice it more. definitely more noticeable when the sunroof is in the tilt position or if one of the windows is cracked. had the EGR cooler replaced last summer, that helped a bit as it was leaking oil on the block.

replaced turbo winter 2013/14

muffler is de-laminating, but seems in-tacked (any suggestion to completely verify it's not leaking would be a bonus)

had some body work done, tail gate and rear 1/4 panels, the dealer claims the cabin vents are fully in-tacked and shouldn't be sucking air in. it all seems to have started here, but no smoking gun.

been going on for a while getting pretty sick of it. got to be fixed or scrapped.
bprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:16   #2
supton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/33

I know on mine, there is a center support on the exhaust pipe, about dead center of the car, which broke years ago, and causes a bit of a rattle. Last time I was under the car I saw evidence of an exhaust leak, which I presume is probably from that area.

Another place is the lower EGR pipe, but usually that causes a whistle, and/or power loss (as it's on the wrong side of the turbo). I have heard of the pipe off the turbo can break; I guess it's flexible or something; something in that area which can leak.

I also have the delaminating muffler. So far, I ignore it. It seems outer layers rust away, but the metal underneath is still good... so I leave it be.
supton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:28   #3
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Flexpipe near the cat is also another place to look.
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:55   #4
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

It's really easy to find exhaust leaks from under the car. Problem is that's difficult.
Take it to a muffler chain for an estimate, try to get a look with the motor running.
But watch them the whole time, I've had more than one add occurance at these shops. Last one was a pin hole right top center of the upper radiator hose.
If you use a local tire shop, they can put it up in the air for you as well while performing that free tire rotation.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 13:53   #5
1.9glstdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37MPG around town automatic poo poo

From what it sounds like you still have a stock turbo? Lack of a signature. So do NOT straight pipe it unless you like boost creep.
I Have vcds KII-usb for 2005 and older
1.9glstdi is offline   Reply With Quote