Brake issues

01TDIbug

TDI
2001 beetle
First off the site is awesome!!! I'm a newbie to the TDI scene but not to VW's. I just bought a 2001 beetle 5 speed TDI, love the car and the fuel economy. I do have one issue with the car though so I figured I would ask if any of you guys have had the same issue. I will try to explain the best I can! If I hit the pedal and keep my foot on the pedal or a constant pressure on the pedal it's fine. If I lift and hit the pedal again it is hard and I have very little brake, if I keep my foot on it they will eventually start to work good. It's like if I pump the pedal the worse they get, any one else experience this that can point me in the right direction on a fix? Thank you in advance

01TDIbug

TDI
2001 beetle
Checked hose and it seems fine, master cylinder is full of brake fluid. Anyone have any suggestions?

01TDIbug

TDI
2001 beetle
Thanks Mike, I will check them out. All vacuum lines were replaced prior to me buying the car but I guess one could have popped off somewhere.

01TDIbug

TDI
2001 beetle
The pipe crack may not visible my 2c wort to replace on aged mk4

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=785
I'm pretty sure it is brand new, the individual that I purchased the car from told me that he had just replaced all of the vacuum lines. They do look new! Also just realized that the brakes only do this when the car is in motion, setting in the driveway with the car running I can pump them as many times as I want and the pedal does not get hard.