04 Jetta Wagon TDI PD BEW Waste Actuator

JCFINKEL

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon TDI (x2)
I see a lot of information regarding the ALC Motor, but nothing on the BEW.

This BEW Motor has been a major headache for me.

Looks Like I can get the Waste Actuator for the ALC, but not the BEW.

Any thoughts? The Stealership says It is not a serviceable part, even though it comes right off, they say I have to replace the Turbo.

Then again, they also said I needed 4 new Injectors $600 each, when it was the duplex pump $400 total, and that I needed $3000 in body work when I didn't need that either.

You guys have always come through for me, so I am back to the well looking for answers from the Oracles!

Many Thanks

John

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I assume you mean the VNT actuator. And as of now I am unaware of anyone that makes them seperate for the BEW engine, due to the vane sensor on them. Which means new turbo assembly.

JCFINKEL

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon TDI (x2)
dieselfueler said:
Why do they say you need a new turbo, tandem pump, and injectors?
ALC=ALH?
If the vanes in the turbo aren't moving it usually because of carbon build-up that can be removed.

Sorry, I was ranting, PRIOR issues with the stealership included trying to sell me injectors, when the problem was actually the tandem pump.

I did mean ALH

Currently I am working with a friend of mine, who is a long time diesel mechanic, just not a VW guy. So we try and work things out together. I haven't seen it yet, but he described it as what would be the waste gate actuator. he says the pin has rotted / rusted through.

Anyway, I do appreciate the help. I will have a look at it myself.

As a follow up, did I make a mistake with the BEW motor. It didn't seem to be around for long and seems to have a lot of peculiar quirks to it. I have two of these 04 TDI Wagons that I use for work, and they have not held up the way I had hoped for. I have 150k and 130k on them yet my Diesel Excursion with 170k seems much more reliable.

I am going to try an hook up with a local Guru and try and make this investment pay off.

Thanks again

John
Hazlet NJ

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Its odd that anything would rust through on the turbo this soon. If its a pin, perhaps something can be fabricated.

--Nate

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, the rust is odd. That is why it would seem splash shields are missing.

Either way, once again illustrating the importance of preventive measures such as some WD40 on the VNT actuator (and other items) at EVERY service. Not to mention making certain ALL your covers are properly secured.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
You really need to find a Local Guru to help keep those BEW Wagons rolling. My wagon has been very reliable the only problems have been an egr cooler, alternator pulley, a thermostat, a intake hose and a bad DMF.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, I agree. I do not see a whole lot of trouble with the BEW cars. They seem to hold up fine, and benefit from all the newer A4 platform improvements (better cupholders, springs, window regs, etc.).

The vast majority of my BEW customers have had to do nothing but routine PM. I have seen a few leaky tandem pumps (even the ones that were NOT recalled) and a few noisy or failed lift pumps.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Bew

Whew! Thanks for the words of encouragement, oilhammer- I, too was beginning to wonder if I should plan to retire my PD sooner than originally planned.... They were around only a short time, weren't they?

I haven't had any real issues yet, but only have about 53K on my wagon so far; I've also noted that a lot of info on TDIForums deals with other engines, either older or newer.

Would you mind giving --or linking to-- some detailed instructions concerning WD40 on the VNT actuator? I really am trying to hang on to this car. My last one I kept for 30+ years and I'd like to do anything I can to keep this one as long as I can. (Yes, the TDI does do a bit better on fuel than my '72 Blazer...:D :D ) Thanks in advance. WBB in NH

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
oilhammer said:
Yeah, the rust is odd. That is why it would seem splash shields are missing.

Either way, once again illustrating the importance of preventive measures such as some WD40 on the VNT actuator (and other items) at EVERY service. Not to mention making certain ALL your covers are properly secured.
Thanks for the reminder Oilhammer. I'll WD-40 my turbo actuator mechanisim this weekend when I replace the timing belt. I do not think I have ever done this, but I do excercise the turbo on a regular basis. No issues so far. Every couple of years my bulky heavy steel skid plate comes off for something (oil changes are from the top with a Pela).

As for where to lubricate, I think you have to get to this from underneath, bottom shield off. Just pull on the actuator rod, towards the actuator, and see if it moves. Then spray whatever moves where it contacts metal on the turbo exhaust housing and then work it a few times back and forth and spray, repeat.

Right at 100,000 miles now. My only issues have been a bad alternator pulley, a failed lift pump and a bad glow plug, and slipping clutch (due to a chip tune). The lift pump and GP were warranty replacements.

On the origibnal EGR cooler, but I do not have exahust going through the EGR cooler, so that may have something to do with it!

--Nate

Last edited:

ianfar

TDI
05 PD Jetta - retired 2015 Jetta
I am currently going through the same issue. Do a search for P2564 and you will find that the wiring to this sensor is prone to the 'protective' loom eating through the wires. My sensor also has corrosion on the pins even though there has always been a belly pan of some sort on the car.

After repairing the wiring my sensor is still faulty. I have found a source for the sensor alone, in Canada. $200 CAD was how much i was quoted, brand new OEM manufacturer. You should be able to find one closer. The guy I am getting mine from is actually a VW wrecker, so maybe try those first.

tintin_63

TDI
Jetta PD 2004 silver reflex
I'm also having this P2564 fault code. I double check the wiring and everything looks fine and I get 5 volts reference at the connector.

Tried to buy this turbocharger vane position sensor but not luck. I contacted Borg-Wagner, VW Canada and everywhere they tell me that this part is calibrated with the turbo at the factory and it is not sold separately......how can that be possible ? Anyway, I would be very interested to have more details on how/where you managed to find the part ?

Thanks