09 Jetta TDI extended warranty prices?

drrandall1

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I have been thinking about this. I have read some threads on some prices that people have paid. As little as $1,400 for 5year/100,000 miles. Wow that is cheap! The dealer told me a 5 year/100,000 was $2523.00. Now are the 09's a little higher priced maybe? I bought my car last week. He said if I didn't buy the extended warranty that day I could later, as long as it still was under 10,000 miles it might be the same price or a few hundred dollars more. What type of prices were you all quoted for your 09's?

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
drrandall1 said:
I have been thinking about this. I have read some threads on some prices that people have paid. As little as $1,400 for 5year/100,000 miles. Wow that is cheap! The dealer told me a 5 year/100,000 was $2523.00. Now are the 09's a little higher priced maybe? I bought my car last week. He said if I didn't buy the extended warranty that day I could later, as long as it still was under 10,000 miles it might be the same price or a few hundred dollars more. What type of prices were you all quoted for your 09's?
IIRC, dealer finance guy quoted slightly over $2100 - for 7 yr - 100k no deductible. I told him I was going to shop around. As I was leaving, he said he could go as low as slightly over $1600 and to give him a call back if interested.

I also talked with warranty direct who quoted $1731 for full b2b, no deductible and it covers wear and tear items that the dealer's warranty excluded like IIRC CV boots. He claimed they had a special promotion, and if I signed up while on the phone he would cut another $150 off. The 5 year - 100k, no deductible was $1607 less $150 which is in the range of the $1400 others have mentioned.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Against my better judgment, I bought an extended warranty from Guardian Warranty Corporation when I bought my TDI. They did pay to have my radiator replaced without any hassle, but they didn't cover fluids or taxes though, so it still cost me about $300. (more than it cost me total to replace the radiator in my Nissan, incl. all parts, labor & taxes.) I say "against my better judgment" b/c consumer advocates tend to frown on warranties altogether, but if you do purchase one they always say to get extended warranties only from the manufacturer of the car and not from any third party providers.

In any event, if you do get an extended warranty you want one that is an "excluded items" warranty (everything is covered except what they list as exclusions) rather than a warranty that only lists what is covered. With the latter, the warranty provider can find ways to weasle out of coverage much more easily.

Also, if you are a member of a credit union, check with them to see if they work with Car Solutions. The Car Solutions warranties are supposed to be among the best 3rd party warranties. But they only work with credit unions.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
I should add that one advantage of going with a 3rd party warranty provider is that you're not required to go to the dealership to have warranty work performed. So you could likely use your local guru to have warranty work done. Not sure that's the case with an extended warranty from VWoA.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Well any car can have major expensive repairs.
The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will loose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some peop;le will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay. Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.
Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price. They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out.
Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?
Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the cost then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money.
Good Luck

drrandall1

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the info. When I bought my 03 TDI it was a certified used car with 2 years of extended coverage. I had my bushings replaced for $900, fuel injector punp replaced(not cheap) and relay harness and 3 glow plugs replaced all withing the first 65,000 miles of owning the car. I'm thinking 100,000 miles of coverage for $2k might be worth it.

I just sent off for a bunch of quotes of companies that are not VW just to see. Any reccomendations of other companies?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
drrandall1 said:
I had my bushings replaced for $900, fuel injector punp replaced(not cheap) and relay harness and 3 glow plugs replaced all withing the first 65,000 miles of owning the car.
You paid too much for the bushing replacement, the injection pump most likely did not need to be replaced, and the relay harness and glow plugs should have been less than $200...

The trouble with most warranties is that you must get the maintenance performed by certain specified repair facilities which will probably cost you more than other options you may entertain were you not bound by the warranty terms. However, since you seem happy to go to the dealership for your service, you probably won't $uffer too much...

Yuri.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
ymz said:
The trouble with most warranties is that you must get the maintenance performed by certain specified repair facilities which will probably cost you more than other options you may entertain were you not bound by the warranty terms. However, since you seem happy to go to the dealership for your service, you probably won't $uffer too much...
In addition to exclusions (if you buy an excluded items warranty), I think this is the next-most-important issue to address. My 3rd party warranty allows me to go anywhere, including dealerships, as long as the person working on the car is ASE certified. That actually precludes the two local gurus in Atlanta area from working on my car for warranty work, which is why I had the radiator replaced at the dealership for twice what it should've cost, but some gurus are businesses with ASE mechanics. Worth looking into if you're considering a warranty.

drrandall1

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Okay this extended warranty shopping is driving me crazy. I found this place Orias through Carchex. $1500 with a $300 gas card for 5/100,000. Sounded great til I talked to to other companies that said that one is bad and the have an adjustor clause, labor and parts cap etc. But the ones they wanted to sell me were as much or more than the dealer! About $2400 for 5 to 6/100,000. Any of you found one that is legit let me know.

howie

TDI
09 Jetta TDI DSG
When I buy something new and they push to sell an extended warranty. I always ask do you think I need it and they say "YES". I than tell them I do not want to buy the item, if they think it is going to break with in a short time.(this is the part I like - when they start to stutter and back paddle about really not needing the extended warranty).

My 2 pennies---If you want peace of mind take the cost of the ext. warranty and put it in an saving account and collect interest for at least 3 yrs/36000(basic warranty) or 5yrs/60000(power train). If the day ever comes for a repair, you'll have the cash.

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Extended Warranty

Dealer sold me on this because of the amount of miles I drive- 470/week. I would use up my warranty in approx 1.5 years, so by getting the extended, I will get 4 full years or 100K miles. Cost me $1,745. "This regularly sells for $2,XXX", the finance guy tells me. For the extra 64,000 miles, it cost me $0.000015625 cents per mile. :) If you look at it on a annual basis, the Ext. War. cost me $698/year- I'm paying for 2.5 years of extended warranty based on my driving. 4 years will arrive about the same time 100K hits the ODO. The extra MPG I will get plus the $1,300 Federal Tax Credit should help off-set this additional expense. I hope! Peace of mind is hard to put a price on.

One word of caution- look over the contract(s) carefully- mine has a $100/$50 deductable. ($50 at selling dealership) I assume that if I don't use the "selling dealership" I have to pay a $100 deductable. I live 2.5 hours from the dealer I bought the car from. :(

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
This regularly sells for $2,XXX",

Yea, and why is he selling it for less? Lots of sales talk there. BTW cars that are driven a lot generally have far fewer problems per mile than cars driven less.

Why would anyone want to sell you an insurance policy that they think will save you money? They want to make a profit. They want you to pay more money and if they can get you to do that they will.

drrandall1

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
howie said:
When I buy something new and they push to sell an extended warranty. I always ask do you think I need it and they say "YES". I than tell them I do not want to buy the item, if they think it is going to break with in a short time.(this is the part I like - when they start to stutter and back paddle about really not needing the extended warranty).

My 2 pennies---If you want peace of mind take the cost of the ext. warranty and put it in an saving account and collect interest for at least 3 yrs/36000(basic warranty) or 5yrs/60000(power train). If the day ever comes for a repair, you'll have the cash.
I hear ya. I always thought that about health insurance. Just put the $200 a month in the bank and if something happens you got it.