Anybody denied warranty claim for having a hitch on a DSG TDI?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Headed from Minnesota to Florida next month and a heck of a deal popped up on a motorcycle and sidecar in Illinois. Problem is my trailer hitch is on my '03 TDI, and I don't take that any farther than the 200 miles AAA will tow it home.

So my best option is to put a hitch and trailer wiring on my '15 Golf TDI with DSG. Now VW says towing with a DSG in the U.S. is verboten... But I could always claim the hitch is for a bike rack or cargo tray, and make the wiring easily converted back to stock. Heck, some of the states don't even require trailer lights if the rear lights aren't blocked by the trailer or load.

So on the odd chance of anything breaking, has anyone actually had VW deny a warranty claim for towing with a DSG?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would just ask if anyone has had any warranty claim on a DSG

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
As long as there is no wiring they won't care.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have to last at not trusting the ALH more than 200 miles.

I'd trust my ALH further than my 2010 Jetta, LOL. ;)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Is the '03 really that unreliable? If so, I'd either get it fixed or sell it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, take the '03.
If you're just paranoid about it, print out the recommended TDI mechanic list for the states you're travelling thru.
I'll bet AAA would even sell you a temporary.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
The ALH has been reliable...

140K miles, did the timing belt myself at 100k miles and it still runs. No breakdowns on the road, had a rear spring break and the alternator go at home, probably could have limped a ways if they'd broke down on the road. On the other hand, had a BMW motorcycle break down 80 miles from home, got robbed $500 for the tow plus nearly a hundred for a night in a motel and had my riding jacket and other stuff stolen.

Got AAA and they'll tow up to 200 miles, which leaves me vulnerable for 1400 miles between here and Florida.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I'm sure you've thought about it but you could just fly one way....:D
But dang, my 2012 A3 came with a hitch. Should I remove it?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
140K miles, did the timing belt myself at 100k miles and it still runs. No breakdowns on the road, had a rear spring break and the alternator go at home, probably could have limped a ways if they'd broke down on the road. On the other hand, had a BMW motorcycle break down 80 miles from home, got robbed $500 for the tow plus nearly a hundred for a night in a motel and had my riding jacket and other stuff stolen.
Got AAA and they'll tow up to 200 miles, which leaves me vulnerable for 1400 miles between here and Florida.
I'd say the best thing you could do for the '03 is a nice long trip on the highway/interstate. Blow out the cobwebs. It sounds like it sits a lot, so I'd give the tires a good close examination if you decide to take it. And check all the fluids, make sure the spare is in good shape.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
It gets the miles put on (now)...

The low miles are partly because in 2003 when I bought it I worked a lot of hours and had only a 6 mile round trip to work.I ride motorcycle a lot in the summer, so that's where some more of the miles go. I retired in 2008 and moved to the country in 2010 so I've got opportunity for lots more miles, but then I went an bought a new JSW in 2013 so the Golf 4 is now a 2nd car. None the less, it gets around 5k miles a year. Tires are 5 years old and over half tread left, got a set of spare steel wheels I'm gonna get winter tires mounted on soon as Costco's sale on Michelins starts.Just did rear brake pads and shoes for the 2nd time, did the fronts about 5 years ago. New exhaust system this summer, thanks to some fellow Minnesota TDI wrenchs for lotsa help installing it at a GTG. Getting due for another 20k service and have new struts and front shocks on the shelf ready to go.

So ya, it would probably make the 3600 mile trip to Florida and back just fine, but I get nervous about the chances of needing major repairs a thousand miles from home.