Extending range in Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
The solution is not an alternative to chemical batteries. It is (recognizing!!!) and taking advantage of some of the unique properties of Lithium-ion polymer batteries and custom-engineering a packaging solution.

I should say I have this idea worked out to quite an extent, but have agonized over how to get it out. If I privately fund, some big company will devour me with legal fees (it happens all the time.) They'd just steal it outright and I could litigate to death. Anyway, this would fall under the category of a (chemical process) utility patent, and legal fees range from $50K-$100K. On top of that, international patent annual maintenance fees are hefty.

Worse, I was required to submit the patent outline at my former employer when I did an internship/fellowship there last two summers. They (Pacific Northwest National Labs(PNNL)) have first ownership rights, but...they do nothing, as there is little to no current interest in anything not directly or indirectly related to 'homeland security'.

So, I've debated just making a web page and releasing the idea to the world, ala: "open source." The original inspiration for it made me go back to college and get a science (chem) degree to learn enough to write the patent. I have zeroed in on what problems/issues remain to be solved, but lack R & D funding. Originally, there was much interest in the government for new battery technologies, but R&D funding for anything besides homeland security has all but dried up.

I'll say it's all a matter of packaging. I really want to get the idea out there, but don't know what to do.,. I'm conflicted. If I release it open source, probably the Chinese government will be all over it, and America would sit on its hands and lose out. It's such an elegantly simple solution. It LITERALLY stares us right in the face.

Thoughts?

uponblocks

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
First, as a caveat, I know virtually nothing about patent law. My understanding is you can file “pro se” for a filing fee of a few hundred dollars. If you inform the patent examiner that you are filing pro se, he is duty bound to assist you with his expertise. You will undoubtedly end up with a weaker patent, but it provides you access to the court for infringement. I think provisional patents are even cheaper. By international agreement, I believe you have a one year grace period to file internationally. Sure, someone may try to steal your idea. If only one company has interest in your idea, you are pretty exposed. But if there is a second big company with an interest, you have leverage, unless they all collude to screw you. Hopefully one will recognize the legitimacy of your patent and assist you in shutting out the others for exclusive licensing. If you want to make your idea public domain, you can use the statutory invention registration procedure to block others from patenting your invention and forcing you to pay them royalties for using your idea. Presumably you would quickly find out whether your idea has merit to justify the maintenance fees after one year.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Type up your proposal in as much detail as you can, to make a record of your idea. Have a public notary affix their seal to the end of the proposal, after your signature. Seal this in a tightly bound manilla envelope, take it to the post office, mail it to yourself (and preferably a copy to your lawyer if you have one) making sure that the post office hand-cancels the envelope so that the postmark is clearly legible. When it arrives in the mail, take the envelope and put it in a safe deposit box at your bank. This way in the future if there is ever any doubt about your idea coming first or last when another company may challenge it, you can always pull out that envelope in court, have the judge note the date of the postmark, and pull out your complete proposal with your signature and a public notary seal on it.