Replacing Glow Plug Connectors / Wires

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
I have a new set of factory VW glow plug connectors (4 GP wires) on order, as mine are badly deteriorated.

I replaced the GP's last weekend with the newer style 7 volt NGK's.

Any how to advice / guidance on the best way to replace these glow plug wires / connectors ?

Looks like the other end of each wire is buried deep into some factory wire looming that snakes under the firewall area and behind the engine.

Advice on R+R appreciated.

Thanks
Deming

Last edited:

diesel#2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen, 2004.5 Passat Variant (sold), 2000 Golf (still in family), 1998 jetta (RIP)
bump! I bought a relay and wires at 60k pre-steely-reflash.... I did do the relay as I had it last time I did glow plugs but... as noted above.. these glow plug wires seems to be into the harness. Since this is only 5v (or 7V) depending-- would these ever really need replacing? This isn't like a spark plug wire getting a lot of voltage regularly but.....

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Well--- Heat and Age deteriorates rubber over time.

With 159,000 miles, on this 10 year old Passat; the rubber on my glow plug wires is falling off (crumbling) away. Replacing the 7 volt NGK Glow plugs was pretty easy.

Since I like my equipment in top condition; I ordered new glow plug wires from 1stVWparts (Auburn VW) and they are actually pretty affordable.

You have the boot on the one end (fits over glow plug) and the other end has a blade that apparently goes into that harness, that sits under the fuel filter bracket and near the cylinder head.

I plan to have a BMW / Benz repair shop install them.
I will help / watch so I know how to do this for myself on our other Passat TDI Wagon.

:D

craws01

TDI
Audi A3
Did you happen to get the glow plug wires replaced? I have this job ahead of me as well. I couldn't find the wires on the 1stVWparts site though. I searched for glow plug wires and glow plug harness.

Thanks,
Eric

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
They are called glow plug wire "Connectors" and you will need to buy 4 of them.

028 971 782 A

I have not installed them yet.

Big list of things to do to this car.
I hope to get them installed in the next week or two.

craws01

TDI
Audi A3
Great! thank you for the info. I can relate to the big list. Seems like as soon as I fix one thing, another pops up.

squishbang

TDI
'98 NB manual, '05 Passat manual
The repair wire 028 971 782 A has a spade connector on one end, but the factory harness is a long, solid wire straight to the GP module. A proper butt-connector or solder repair is required to replace the glow plug connector. Glow plug circuit faults before and after steel glow plug upgrade persisted until each glow plug connector was replaced on my car.

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
My glow plug #1 has been giving me intermittent open for few weeks now. I replaced the glow plug with a new one, but still keep getting the code (and CEL). Connector looks fine, thought look might be deceptive. I wonder if replacing with 028971782A will solve my problem.

squishbang

TDI
'98 NB manual, '05 Passat manual
It is recommended that all glow plugs be replaced at the same time, but be sure you are replacing the right glow plug. The cylinder assignment is backwards so a fault for cylinder 1 glow plug is really cylinder 4, closest to the firewall.

WeLikeBlue

Veteran Member
TDI
2004.5 Passat
I have a new set of factory VW glow plug connectors (4 GP wires) on order, as mine are badly deteriorated.

I replaced the GP's last weekend with the newer style 7 volt NGK's.
:confused: I see no mention here of the ECU being stock, reflashed in the first recall (to operate 5V steel glow plugs) or reflashed in the latest recall (in which case the dealer would have installed the 7V NGK plugs...)

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
:confused: I see no mention here of the ECU being stock, reflashed in the first recall (to operate 5V steel glow plugs) or reflashed in the latest recall (in which case the dealer would have installed the 7V NGK plugs...)
I have the Rocketchip RC1 - ECU Tune.
I yanked the ECU and shipped it to Rocketchip where he calibrated it for the 7 volt glow plugs.

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
It is recommended that all glow plugs be replaced at the same time, but be sure you are replacing the right glow plug. The cylinder assignment is backwards so a fault for cylinder 1 glow plug is really cylinder 4, closest to the firewall.
Thanks for the tip! I have indeed replaced the one on cylinder 1 (closest to the front of the car). Will try swapping #4 with the plug I got out from #1. I already checked part numbers - it is identical to the one replaced.