Attn: High Performance Diesel Guru's - My ideas for Performance Mods on a MK3

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Attn: High Performance Diesel Guru\'s - My ideas for Performance Mods on a MK3

I've seen a lot of high performance MK4's here, but what about MK3's? Here's the combination I think would yield a monster of a TDI for not a lot of money.

1.) UPsolute chip

2.) .205 injectors (these do fit in a MK3, right?)

3.) Upgrade the K03 turbo to a K04. It should be a direct swap. This swap is commonly performed on 1.8T's.

So what do you guys think? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Re: Attn: High Performance Diesel Guru\'s - My ideas for Performance Mods on a MK3

That would definitely make for one sick A3! However, instead of a typical UPsolute chip, it would be good to have a custom chip made to make use of the larger injectors and larger turbo (note: UPsolute does not provide this service yet
).

edit: I just read TDIMeister's post about how the K04 turbo does not have the correct trim for the TDI.
Maybe upgrading to a VNT20 with a self-controlled (boost pressure controlled) VNT controller (as opposed to computer vacuum controlled) would be better.

[ September 26, 2002, 08:14: Message edited by: VeeDubTDI ]

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Re: Attn: High Performance Diesel Guru\'s - My ideas for Performance Mods on a MK3

I'm sure something could be arranged.
UPsolute already has a K04 program for 1.8T's and is working on a program for 205's for TDI's.

The standard UP should work IMO, but of course it would take a custom chip to take full advantage of the mods.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

Of course... but the idea here is to take full advantage of the mods, which the standard UP chip certainly does not do.

Also, I think a slightly decreased compression ratio would be a good idea, so that one can safely run higher boost pressures.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED

Originally posted by VeeDubTDI:
edit: I just read TDIMeister's post about how the K04 turbo does not have the correct trim for the TDI.
Maybe upgrading to a VNT20 with a self-controlled (boost pressure controlled) VNT controller (as opposed to computer vacuum controlled) would be better.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">VNT-20 would probably be too big for the street. And would smoke like a tire fire! VNt-17 would be better. But then you'd have to get the manifold as well.

"The K04 as installed as an upgrade for the 1.8T does not have the right trim and A/R for a proper match with the TDI. Most 1.8Ts with the K04 don't run much above 1 bar boost, but require a turbo with airflow capability to hold that boost level to over 6500 rpm. The TDI has completely different and unique requirements from the turbo -- as much as 1.3 bar boost and above but air flow roughly only 2/3s that of the 1.8T."

I wonder if the K04 could be "trimmed" for use in a TDI. If not, you could always have a custom turbo built, but that would be a lot of money.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

A custom turbo would be quite expensive. Your idea of a VNT17 and a manifold is a good one, since it can be ordered with the proper trim, if it doesn't come with it already.

To increase combustion efficiency and reduce exhaust smoke, one could install a Nitrous Oxide System (similar to Gary Miyakawa's).
It's pretty simple to hook up, just plumb it into the CCV return pre-turbo/post-MAF.

[ September 26, 2002, 08:24: Message edited by: VeeDubTDI ]

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

0.216 injectors.
STOCK chip.
"Boost bleed" and Dawes boost controller such that you get 17 psi boost pressure.
De-activate the EGR using VAG-COM.
Straight-thru exhaust system.
De-restrict the intake (remove snorkel and screen). Or you can do something fancier but losing the snorkel and screen are all that is really needed.

Works for me.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI

Originally posted by GoFaster:

STOCK chip.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Projektzwo would not like to hear that!

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED

Originally posted by TDIMeister:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by GoFaster:

STOCK chip.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Projektzwo would not like to hear that!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is a hypothetical question so all opinions are appreciated. My MK4 TDI is already chipped but if I were to aquire a stock MK3 I would consider all options.

Stephen P

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 97 Green

Just remember with all Mrk III, if you want to add these types of performance mods you will most certainly have to upgrade wheels/tires. The 14" stock ones are terrible, also defintly a VR6 clutch upgrade. The mark III jetta isnt built anything like the Mrk IVs. Making something nice out of them takes all around work, the chassis and drivetrain both go sour when you add all the extra torque. Just remember the jetta is the vento which was extreamly unpopular in Europe. Its built to american standards as much as the 2.slow is.