INLINE HEATER

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta trendline 2.0 liter
DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY A BLOCK HEATER THAT IS INSTALLED IN MY LOWER RAD HOSE? I NOW HAVE A HEATER THAT IS UNDER THE OIL PAN, BUT THAT IS RATHER USELESS.I HAVE A 99 A4 TDI; 174,000 KMS ;RUNS GREAT;NO PROBLEMS EXCEPT FOR POOR BLOCK HEATER. <font color="black"> </font>

wolfsburg

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
As you are in Canada do a search for Snowman, and you can buy the inline heater at Canadian Tire. I tried back in the winter at my local Cd tire, but they were no help. There is also a fellow that sells them from the USA at a higher price. Look under buy/sell.

jetblackjetta

Don't bother doing it yourself, it's not worth the trouble, believe me I tried it and ended up buying the kit from TDIHeater in the end. (My “do it yourself” didn’t work)

Some will say the exchange rate in Canada makes doing it yourself better……DON’T BELIEVE them, plus there’s no guarantee your “do it yourself” will even work (the TDIs are tricky)

Buy the drop-in kit with everything you need for your exact model and year, plus with the great directions installs in no time like Curious Chris said above. This is an unsolicited plug for the TDIHeater.

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
P.S. You can get them starting at around $25 and up, depending on where you shop. I'll scare up a previous post of where you can get 'em and how much they are exactly.

jetblackjetta

That was my thinking when I started to look at heaters….yeah they “start” at $25, but the norm is more like $40. Then you start adding all the hoses (around $35-$40 total), plus running back and forth to the parts store….it just isn’t worth it. $85 later I had a bastardized heater, I learned my lesson to just buy an engineered kit that is all figured out for me for not much more money. I don’t know about anyone else, but my time is worth much more than $15 saved for all the hassle when the kit is only $100.

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
jetblack, you can find ANYTHING for MORE money if you like. The bottom line is, you don't need to. Paying $35 or more for those hoses is just plain absurd and there's no need. If I can find them for less than half that in CDN dollars, it means you're getting screwed and going to the wrong place.

As for the heaters themselves....
Boston Electric $26.79
http://www.bostonautoelectric.com/linecard/zerostart.html

truckpro.com sells the 1000W version for $28

You can call them at 1-88 TRUCKPRO and ask for the Zerostart coolant heater part number ZS3305002

They can get pretty much any of the Zerostart products but don't list them all.

http://www.truckpro.com/docs/merchandise/parts_catalog/engine_external/z erostart_eng_htr_products.html

And you can just pick one up and avoid shipping if you live close enough to one of their stores...

Haluk

Snowman instructions are perfect even for me who does not work on cars and if you want to save some $$ go for it.

I bought radiator hose from Sears and used the same clamps. It was still under $ 50 ($ 36 for 1000 Watts from JC Whitney + $ 6 hose/3 ft from Sears. Some are cheaper.

Must use G12 ( about $ 16) which you have to buy anyway and must be 50/50 mix with water.

It will be one of the best things you can add to a TDI

Haluk