don't buy from prothe/emiata/ volkswaparts.com

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
I just finished puting in a turbo on my car I hope it works after all this work. not really worth the $300-$350 savings.
1. it cost $279
2. had to rotate intake nozzle 180 deg
3. had to remove vac actuator
4. had to cut casting off intake shell that held vac mod
5. had to rotate exhaust side to line up oil lines
6. had to drill & tap new & proper location for vac line hookup
7. had to block off incorrecty located vac hole (drill & tap inside of port m6 x1
8. weld mounting ears to attach cold air tube to turbo
9.grind exhaust side so as to get a modified socket on nut to mount the turbo onto the manifold
10. modify old vac actuator to fit new turbo (new one not worth the fight to fit)
12. get 3/16 x 1 3/4ish o-ring and shave it to fit intake part of turbo to cold air tube due to new on .045 under stock

if it runs tomorrow. ****ing priceless do not attempt this unless you can laugh at yourself for being cheep and can weld aluminum.
will post pics of the bastardized unit if I can figure it out.
this is what the guy sold me
http://www.dieselvw.com/T15Turbo.htm
ipex has it for $635 drop in why o why me oh my

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/german-rebuilt-turbo-golf--jetta--passa_9166.html

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
Yeeesh. That install sounds like a nightmare. Last fall I had the blower on my '98 replaced @ 175k - I bought a brandy new turbo from IndigoBlueWagon and had the dealer put it in. I paid $500 for the turbo which was half of what the dealer would've charged for a reman. Unreal.

Stealership parts depts... Pish!

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
now low power on the uphills like limpmode but no cel have to borrow back my vag-com to find out *** is wrong now. I was hoping for some real go power as the impeller was larger than stock. I hope maybe its the preload on the actuator is lower than needed

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
he says he is working on this unit to fit better but who knows. If you look at his web site all the pictures show the turbo but hid all the things that don't fly.like the casting ear for the included actuator hits the manifold when pointed up.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I just saw this turbo on ebay-says its for the 1.8t,not the TDI,although he may have edited the posting.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
Klaus sorry for the misspell especially in this case!

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
well I gave up on that pos turbo not enough kick low/midle/top end ordered one today from tdiparts going to make a jet tubine out of it and mount it on the roof and fuel it with that stupid fifth injector.

N2OKX

TDI
looking
See also the thread at http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=190601 on this topic and add the website turbosandparts.com to the beware list.

Wow! There were three of us going through the same exercise in futility of trying to make a cheap part work. I admire the determination of the other two, but I'm glad I did not go down that road. Since I did not make any alterations to my part, I got a full refund (except for shipping) from eMiata, so all I lost was maybe four hours of precious time. I did get my replacement from tdiparts and had a much better experience. The part was an identical OEM replacement. I still say the eMiata part looked good. I just wish it would fit. The new turbo seems to work great, but my mpg is very poor. I got only 36 mpg on four gallons of fuel. The drive included a lot of small trips, so I'm anxious to try it on a long trip. My gut feeling is that something else in wrong.

By the way, it would seem that 230,000 miles or so may be the life of a turbocharger. I guess that is good, but it is rather disappointing.

As far as buying cheap Chinese parts, I'm not afraid to give them a try. I got a couple of window regulators for this same '98 Jetta. They were made in Taiwan. The price was right and they fit perfect. I now have four working windows. When I started, all four were inoperable.

Windy Gregory
Vee Dub Motors
Kevil, KY
http://www.VWupdate.com

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
If i ever thought I could get my money back ( hindsight) I would have.The chinese unit appears fairly well made but somewhere between the actuator and linkage lies a problem. I think more preload is needed on mine but I am done with it. The new unit came from tdi parts.com in a day

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
I put the new unit in in less that 2 hours seems easy now. replaced the flex tube on the down pipe no more vapors in the cabin, now we willl have to give the kids benedryl on roads trips to sedate them. Now I have a cel I think I damaged on of the egt probes as it was internally bent and would not come out. If anyone changes the flex tube get it from J C Whitney as it come without pipe added to it had to grind them off off the ebay unit prior to install.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
This seller of crap sells crap Chinese knock-off TB kits too. A guy in HI had his fail almost out of the box. Several others too. There is a reason the kits are $150.

bchezick

TDI
97 Jetta
Ohhh:mad: , Ohhhh:mad: :mad: , Ohhhhhww:mad: :mad: :mad: !!!!

I'm so mad at this guy. Yeah my turbo is on but what a mess. What a mess. Yeah I got mine to fit after having a custom bracket fabricated for the actuator. The intake on the compressor housing is a different diameter and doesn't have bolt holes to secure the pipe from the air box. I wrapped tape around the compressor intake and tried to seal it externally with silicone but I just can"t reach it much. I think I might be sucking air anyways. Not a happy situation.

I sent him an email asking how the intake is supposed to fit but he hasn't responded. My concern is that eventually the vinyl tape might start melting. I haven't driven it more than about 5 miles at any time yet and its very cold right now so I don't think it has had a real chance to.

And my car is gutless now. I just had the head rebuilt and was expecting a little more zip but now I have less. I think I'm going to call my credit card company and see if they can help me. This is fraud as far as I am concerned.

I should have known better when I noticed there wasn't a phone # to call. I just saw that low price and was seduced.

bchezick

TDI
97 Jetta
I just looked tonight and he has a new picture for the turbo setup. I bought mine Oct. 1, apparently he has made a new bracket to put on these things since then. I can't even bolt my pipe on from the airbox not to mention its still not the right diameter and doesn't seal ven if it was secured.
He still hasn't returned my email.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
His seal fix suggestion to me was to use the plastic plug that came on the turbo inlet to make up the slack I got .045 with calipers. Have you noticed the location of the vac line fitting its still in the wrong spot I didn,t give it a try when I set mine up buecause I felt that it wa going to give a wrong read (likely higher) due to being in the impeller zone. I was told it is likely a turbo for a non tdi canada turbodiesel.

Last edited:

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I bought one of these also.. I didn't know any better. I wish I would have bought an OEM one. In desperation I made it work. I works fine, a little sluggish on the botton end but mid to top end seems normal.

I swapped on a K03 actuator because the one that comes on it is a joke. I had to drill and tap the compressor housing for larger bolts and mod the brackets, etc. The other fitment issues didn't really effect me.

bchezick

TDI
97 Jetta
Pete finally responded to my email today. He says to cut up the plastic cap and clamp the intake pipe. I responded asking for the new style plate & a new plastic cap as well as communicated my disapproval. I also got his phone # off my credit card statement and left a message on his answering machine.

There was no mention of the plastic cap to be used as a seal, I threw mine in the wood stove when I cleaned up.

He said I'm also supposed to clamp the intake as well. The intake is hard plastic. ***

I ran the numbers on this, it has cost me an additional $600+ in fuel by being forced to drive a 20mpg gasser for two + months. I have no idea how much time, frustration, feelings of defeat/depression, or anger this has put upon me.

I can't believe he's still jerking me around with this. When I bought mine he was shipping out a 3/4" by 3" piece of soft steel with 3 holes for adaptation, now enough people have *****ed/returned he made a new plate. But he doesn't want to send the plate apparently. If it was me I'd gladly ship the adapter plate out of guilt, even throw in something for inconvenience and apologize.

If he doesn't make this right and send me the adapter I'm going to go to every foreign car forum and broadcast the stories on this.

Spulen,
I have the same power issues. It seems the thing won't spool up and produce the correct boost at low rpm's. I used to be able to accelerate up small hills in high gear but now I step on the petal and there's nothing there.

I thinking about buying a new Garrett and put this piece of $&%t on my $1500 98 TDI my father bought last week. I think that turbo is puking oil too. The intake was plugged and the inter-cooler pipes were full of oil but I don't know if it's from the turbo or the EGR.

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
You guys should file complaints with your credit card company. Geez, sounds like way, way, way too much work to get it working. I think Bleachedbora has rebuilt turbos for 549.00 if I recall correctly.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
tdiparts was my final solution it was a new garett. no core. 5 something. I enjoyed the challenge of making it fit and work with hopes of getting more go power, as the impeller was larger but all it was was disapointment. That is why I posted this thread originally to save others the despair. I even chocked up on the preload with the turbo on(what a ***** )and still poor top end some nice snap on the bottom but short lasted.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
If anyone wants my prothe turbo its for sale you name the price (cheep) it works it just doesn't perform like a stock unit