ahu from mk3 to B3

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have tentatively decided to swap a 98 AHU into a 1990 b3 wagon 16v auto.

I have combed the conversion threads and not found a thorough discussion of this conversion.

since the Passat is a CE2 car I can't imagine that's there's a problem but I would like to use the Mk 3 harness rather than purchase another harness from a b4 for this.

anyone who's done this please post up with some info on pinouts or schematic info about it, I would like to be prepared for this when I start on it.

Tia for your help

Steve

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
I am not sure about the b3, but the b4 has separate harnesses for engine and lighting.
The mk3 is all in one harness coming through the firewall. It is not hard to separate things out though. Follow the mk3 ahu wiring for the glow/ relay system.
I have used a mk3 inst cluster on b4 wiring, I see no reason it wont work the other way.
Good luck and let's see some pics!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
thanks for the commentary, I'll work with what I have at the moment since there are a lot of other things I need to get to do the swap. I'm still working on the list of parts I need and the project car isn't here yet but should be coming soon. As soon as it's here I'll get some pics of it to post up.

Steve

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I really don't have anything to help with your conversion, other than to say I am happy to see a B3 saved. They were a great car, with an AWFUL powertrain. I mean, really, really awful. The 16v 2.0L was a timing-belt munching dash vibrating powerless turd, and the 095 slushbox it got bolted to was even worse. Not many of those cars made it to 50k miles without something major happening. We had a row, literally, a row, of abandoned B3 Passats back in the day behind the dealership. I wish TDIs were around then, these would all have made excellent powertrain swap recipients.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I really don't have anything to help with your conversion, other than to say I am happy to see a B3 saved. They were a great car, with an AWFUL powertrain. I mean, really, really awful. The 16v 2.0L was a timing-belt munching dash vibrating powerless turd, and the 095 slushbox it got bolted to was even worse. Not many of those cars made it to 50k miles without something major happening. We had a row, literally, a row, of abandoned B3 Passats back in the day behind the dealership. I wish TDIs were around then, these would all have made excellent powertrain swap recipients.
I wasnt aware of all the 16v problems but I knew the automatic transmissions were junk. It was unfortunate that they didn't have another engine option for the early cars. Probably one reason they discontinued the 16v once the vr6 was available. Europe had more engine options.

I have always liked the b3 better than the b4. I also have always thought the b3 had better body integrity than the b4. Then again me liking the b3 is probably because I'm an oddball about cars anyway.

This project kind of fell in my lap, I had known about the car and knew the people who owned it but had been told in the past that they were going to fix it. Now five years later it's still not fixed and looks like it might be coming to live with me.

it's getting to the point where something needs to be done before it starts rotting out in the back yard. At this point it's just dirty and converted with tree droppings.

As soon as it's confirmed that it's coming I'll post up some pics of it.

Steve

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, that 16v engine was trouble from day 1. They had a timing belt PM schedule that said "check" at 60k miles (whatever that means). Many BROKE at 45k. :rolleyes: The 1.8L version didn't make that much more power than the higher output SOHC 1.8L, because they had a peaky power band. In the late '80s, if you had a SOHC GTI that made 105hp stock, with just a couple easy mods that cost less than $500 it would easily walk away from the 123hp 16v GTI, and it wouldn't break doing so.

The 2.0L version was a quick stop-gap. They already had 2.0L engines, they used a SOHC CIS version in the Audi 80 and 90. THAT is the engine they should have used in the B3. Like all the SOHC engines, it was bulletproof, and a nice broad power band, despite only making 120hp. Instead they stuck with the 16v and those were even worse for issues moving the bigger heavier Passat than they were moving the little Golfs and Jettas. Late '80s and early '90s were the Dark Ages for Volkswagen in America. My '91 diesel Jetta, while slow and not very exciting, was a standout in comparison, LOL. :p

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
IMHO I'd try to source a B4 harness. All the wire lengths will be correct and it should drop in with minimal fuss. You could probably go through the B3 harness though and remove all the bits you don't need.

Does your B3 have ABS?

I've always wanted a B3... nice ones are getting few and far between :(

-J

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
IMHO I'd try to source a B4 harness. All the wire lengths will be correct and it should drop in with minimal fuss. You could probably go through the B3 harness though and remove all the bits you don't need.

Does your B3 have ABS?

I've always wanted a B3... nice ones are getting few and far between :(

-J
Harness length is one thing I have worried about but the two cars aren't that much different in width that it will be a problem. My biggest concern here is sticking to a budget on this and since I've already acquired the Mk 3 harness I don't want to have to spend more on that side of things.

I know there will be lots of other costs involved in this just because it has sat for so long, hopefully I have all that covered but I'm sure things will crop up that I haven't accounted for.

Yes, the car has abs. I wasn't happy to see that when I opened the hood but there it is. If it's ruined from sitting it'll have to be repaired or replaced. I don't believe I've ever seen a b3 around here without it so conversion to non-abs may not be an option although I would prefer it.

I guess if I can obtain a 97 b4 tdi engine harness for a decent price I'll consider it, otherwise I'll just work with what I have.

Steve

oilhammer

TDI
The B3 and the B4 are very similar, in the same manner the A2 and A3 are. And they are all rolling on the same basic platform, as is the Corrado. So you should be able to find some stuff you need from the parts bins of other VAG models. I'd bet you could but a non-ABS master cylinder and brake unloader valve setup from any old late '80s/early '90s Jetta GLI in that car and it would work fine. I have the complete functional braking system from a certain wrecked '91 Ecodiesel Jetta if you need anything. ;)

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The B3 and the B4 are very similar, in the same manner the A2 and A3 are. And they are all rolling on the same basic platform, as is the Corrado. So you should be able to find some stuff you need from the parts bins of other VAG models. I'd bet you could but a non-ABS master cylinder and brake unloader valve setup from any old late '80s/early '90s Jetta GLI in that car and it would work fine. I have the complete functional braking system from a certain wrecked '91 Ecodiesel Jetta if you need anything. ;)
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I had always assumed that a person could convert to the mk3 mc on the b3 since the components at the four corners were the same between b3 and early mk3 (or any 2.0 mk3 with rear discs). After sitting as long as it has I can't imagine that the system would be functional.

if I elect to maintain the abs system there are five b4 sedans (four glx, one gls) in a jy not far from me that could provide the necessary parts. I think I already have spare front and rear calipers that I can tap for this and the same jy has a couple mk4 cars I can pilfer the better rear calipers too. There's also a b3 sedan at the same yard but it's been there a long while so I'm not counting on much from that except front fog/headlight harness and other bits for that option. They're may be other things from that car too, haven't looked at it close enough yet.

at this point I'm just trying to round up parts that I already have and trying to fill in the gaps with stuff I know is out there but haven't acquired yet. I've had other projects I've prematurely purchased things for and when the project fell through regretted doing it. This time around the will be none of that.

the day the wagon gets dropped in my driveway it'll be time to start buying the extra stuff needed.

Steve

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
I have a b4 harness for sale just needs a plug for the IP its set up for an 11mm alh pump but could easily be retro fitted back to the 10mm ahu style pump.

Ps. Kudos on the b3 much better than a b4 in all aspects. I just sold mine and bought a b5 as I needed a 2004+ vehicle for work but Im already dreaming of getting another one.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have a b4 harness for sale just needs a plug for the IP its set up for an 11mm alh pump but could easily be retro fitted back to the 10mm ahu style pump.

Ps. Kudos on the b3 much better than a b4 in all aspects. I just sold mine and bought a b5 as I needed a 2004+ vehicle for work but Im already dreaming of getting another one.
Hey BBob, sorry I didn't respond sooner, I didn't have this setup to do notifications and so never knew you responded, I'll PM you about the harness.

Oilhammer, as for braking I'd really like to junk the ABS out of this car. Others have done it and I think the parts can come from Mk2 or Mk3 which is good since there's still a reasonable number of those out there.

Since this B3 is auto trans I have to junk the slushbox pedal cluster anyway so it's a good time to eliminate the ABS. Besides, I can't believe after five+ years of sitting that the ABS unit is still good.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Small update on this project Still gathering parts for this swap, should have just about everything I need in the next couple of weeks.

This car was really badly infested with rodents, the body plug for the clutch was completely gone so entrance into the car for mice was easy.

The entire interior has now been pulled and the old carpets tossed. Digimat harness and controller are 80% out and the passive restraint system is almost gone too. Replacement is with B4 belt system and wiring, which is all acquired. Replacement black carpet (preferred) is ready to go as soon as the floor coatings are done and the interior dewiring / rewiring is done. It has been suggested that I rewire the complete interior with a B4 harness, which makes some sense since there are some yet to be identified cuts in the existing harness. The cuts could be just related to the radio but maybe not, don't know yet. It would also let me install the OE alarm (and by extension the keyless entry) since the 1990 B3 cars didn't get an alarm.

There are some other benefits too like better power windows but also some unknowns that I need to figure out. It's still an option since the dash is out of the car too for cleaning and hvac work.

I need to get the carpet and seats all stuffed back in it (sans dash) before it goes into the garage this fall. There will be other wiring things to do in the near future so the dash is off for a while still, like engine management, european headlights with leveler motors etc.

PS - further update, the water leaks into the rear quarters have been stopped. The water was coming from the seam between the central roof panel and the outer roof side panels. There's a tiny crevice between the two that's filled with seam sealer and in some places it was cracked badly which I believe is how the water was getting in. That seam is under the black covers on the roof where the rails mount. The only other leaks I have yet to deal with are the windshield, which leaks in several spots, both lower corners and upper in front of driver. That will be resolved with a new 97 B4 windshield.

obligatory picture of the wagon project.

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Awesome project! I'm sort of looking for a B3 wagon myself. I love the look and the utility factor is great. Pair it with a diesel drivetrain and you have a fantastic car!

Was the ABS on those cars particularly problematic? I'd be tempted to keep it if it can be made to work.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
vanbcguy, I have heard that it was problematic based on the number of people who seem to be deleting it. On this car I don't know whether it works or not. I do have brakes but since it hasn't run since 2008 there's no telling whether it'll function properly or not. I will say that the brake fluid reservoir on this car has too much fluid in it...it's over the max mark. Since I'm converting from auto to MT I might have to swap it out anyway.

Seems a lot of them were ordered with the ABS option, it wasn't standard on any of the 16v cars from what I've read, at least the 90-92 cars. I think it was also likely an expensive option. I don't believe that it came with any of the packages although I don't know that for certain.

Pulled the hvac box today, more mouse stuff that was stinking up the car. I had suspected that this car was involved in the heater core recall based on the strap being cut around the evaporator portion of the box and the changed clamps where the hoses attached to the core itself. I was right too, the heater core was in good shape but the work that was done was pretty shoddy. There were no spring clips on the backside of where the two units connect, who ever did the replacement just pulled the heater core side away from the cowl and popped the clips off, breaking the ridges where the clips go.

I'm replacing the whole housing anyway, I want to upgrade to the R134a system and I wasn't sure whether they used the same evaporator or not. Also it seemed like the plastic was infused with a lot of mouse funk. There were several dead mice hidden back in there, only one is shown in the picture here. Also, I needed to be sure and address the blend door issues so I'll be trekking to the JY for a good used one from a B4. Blower motor on my car was dead too so there is that as well.

If I had unlimited budget I'd get a climatronic unit but there's a lot more to be done and climatronic, while nice, isn't a priority.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Progress is being made but it's been slow.

The pile of replacement parts is growing, I have almost all I need now to do the conversion.

I've been working on the Mk3 wiring harness identification and I think it's about there. The only pita is that someone cut some of the harness of the glow plug system so I have to do some work with that before it's ready.

Auto trans TCU is gone as is the wiring harness. Passive restraints are gone along with that horribly large wiring harness. Aktiv stereo system wiring (was mangled anyway) is gone and replaced with stock B4 radio / speaker harness.

New black dash and lower knee bar acquired but it looks like I'll be getting euro lower dash cubbies instead of knee bar now which will be nice as long as they fit ok with the console. I've seen pictures where they don't really look finished when they're installed, hopefully these will be fine. If not I have the lower knee bar I can use.

Just this week picked up 02A CTN transmission, front cross member for hydro mount, B4 pedal cluster, non-ABS MC, booster, clutch master and slave, Air cleaner, MAF, upper outer timing belt cover, shifter box with cables, fuel lines and some other goodies that will get the project moving along.

Pulled the motronic engine harness and ecu from the B3 and getting ready to extract the 16v and auto trans so I can get the engine bay cleaned up and the shell into the garage for work. Axles disconnected from the trans and hub bolts loosened and ready to come off.

Have to say I'm glad that the B4 TDI the parts came from was non-ABS, I wasn't looking forward to having to repair the old one which I assume was probably kaput after sitting since 2008.

New HVAC box is ready to go in as soon as I get the underdash insulation pad replaced. New heater core installed too.

Need to put in a big parts order soon for all the new things that I need to get.

Also need to clean up my big mess in the garage....

Steve

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
More progress, temperatures are up but soon to go back down. Spent several days clearing out the garage bay so the wagon could come inside. It's almost ready to go but I discovered a leaking water pump on the Jetta TDI yesterday changing gearbox oil so now I have to use the bay to change the water pump before the wagon can come in.

At least I got the engine bay cleaned out before putting it inside. Here are some pics, before and after. There's still a lot of old VW applied sealant in there that I need to get off but I think I'll have to use chemical or pressure washing to do it. I like that stuff but it certainly attracts a lot of dirt. Then it turns to brown yuck. There's a bit of rust around the battery area but not bad.

Engine is gone and the slushbox was used as a core for the CTN five speed.

Most all parts acquired now, still need a couple things but once the refreeze comes I'll be able to get the balance I need. Got sidetracked on a 1Z engine that showed up at the JY so I have some spares now, but it took up some time.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Finally, she's inside the garage. Never thought I would get to this point before significant snow fall shows up but I tackled the Mk3 water pump issue the last couple of days and could finally bring her inside where she belongs. Also spent several days clearing and storing the innards of this wagon that originally were taking up this whole bay. A lot more throwing away that needs to happen but for now there's plenty of room to work.

Actually, I was kind of amazed to be able to move it up the drive and around by myself, even with sticking rear brake caliper on one side. Without a driveline or interior it's not all that bad to move about by yourself.

bertajones

TDI
1981 jetta na diesel
i am trying to do the same swap this winter. I'm really looking forward to seeing the updates on your swap because i know its going to answer a lot of the questions i have.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
will pedals from a mk3 bolt into a b3?
mk3 shifting tower and cable linkage reach/bolt/fit into b3?
The pedal cluster from Mk3 will not work in the B3, that particular item has to come from the B4 platform. I got lucky and found a B4 tdi donor for that but since there aren't a lot of B4 tdi cars to begin with you might end up having to be creative. You probably could use a B3/4 MT pedal assembly with a custom mounted potentiometer from a Mk3 or other tdi.

As for the shifter cables all I can say is that others have said there's no problem using the Mk3 shifter / cables in the B platform as a substitute. I've also read other comments that say they're too short. Best to look at the assembly in Etka and see if it's the same between B4 and Mk3.

My project is taking a lot longer than I planned, mostly because the car was deficient from the beginning because it had sat for so long. Also, since I have been sourcing misc parts from a variety of models I have to spend a lot of time checking for correct part numbers etc. Example, the front engine carrier I got from a B4 tdi but the lower rad support from that car was damaged beyond use so I had to explore other options for a rad support that would accommodate the large TDI radiator. Also, the B4 tdi I found for some parts had a bad engine subframe so I had to look for another one from a different car.

All that checking takes a lot of time... Progress is coming along though, I finally finished sealing up the raintray where a lot of the tar sheets had come loose and there was some rust around the seam sealer. I also have the existing windshield cut out but not yet removed since the replacement isn't here yet.

Once I get into the meat of the component install I'll be posting up more pictures. That will likely happen as soon as I get the floor sealed up and begin the new wiring install.

PS - I hope to have this thing completely done by spring.

Steve

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Finally got some stuff done to the B3 today, removed the pedal cluster inside and the ABS brake unit. The wiring harness and ABS module has been gone for a while. The non-ABS brake / clutch MC setup will be going in shortly.

Finally got the replacement dash insulation/sound dampening finally installed. The original was basically almost completely eaten away by mice. The only section that was still intact was a small area to the right of the steering wheel.

Before:

After:

Bertajones, about the pedal cluster fitment issue. I looked at my B4 tdi pedal cluster today and the bracket that holds the potentiometer for the DBW accelerator pedal is bolted to the bracket above the brake pedal and those mounting holes are on all pedal clusters, even for automatic trans models. The mounting holes were even there on my 90 B3 auto trans pedal cluster. Basically then you can use any B3/4 MT pedal cluster but you will need to find the accel pedal and potentiometer / bracket to do the tdi install.

The potentiometer bracket part number is 3A1721631A and you might be able to use the Mk3 stuff with this bracket to get the job done.

Steve

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Cleaned up and waxed firewall, about a thousand dead chinese beetles behind the insulation blanket, will install pedal cluster and brake master / clutch assembly later tonight.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Nice project! Looks to be well thought out.
Not sure how much $$ you have in the B4 shifter but many of the B4 zealots are retrofitting the MKIV shifters in.
For a time we had a B4 along with the Golf I still have; hands down shifting in the Golf was superior. Easy for me to spend someone else's time and money though.
If it was my car I would be apply some extra sound attenuation material on the firewall while it is so accessible. Or maybe a coat of POR 15, thick paint that will make the firewall a little more resistant to resonance. Again, not my money...
Will be following your progress.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nice project! Looks to be well thought out.
Not sure how much $$ you have in the B4 shifter but many of the B4 zealots are retrofitting the MKIV shifters in.
For a time we had a B4 along with the Golf I still have; hands down shifting in the Golf was superior. Easy for me to spend someone else's time and money though.
If it was my car I would be apply some extra sound attenuation material on the firewall while it is so accessible. Or maybe a coat of POR 15, thick paint that will make the firewall a little more resistant to resonance. Again, not my money...
Will be following your progress.
Hey, thanks for the pointers. I had thought a lot about switching to the 02J shifter box and shift tower but have also read some threads about people not that happy with it and have gone back to the older 02A type. I've never been unhappy with the Mk3 Jetta setup but if I happen upon a car with the 02J trans and everything is there I'll probably pick it up.

I would have liked a little better insulation in the engine compartment but for cleanliness I left it as is and just reinstalled the firewall blanket that was there for the 9A engine. I did try and patch up some of the holes in it and are not used now that I don't have cable speedo or extra wiring for the ABS and auto trans but I'll probably leave the engine compartment side of it the way it is.

I will add some fiberglass insulation in the rain tray, I got a huge roll of it from a shop years ago and it's just begging to be used. On the Mk3 there's a layer of insulation at the back of the rain tray against the cabin that the B3 doesn't have. I'll probably just create that out of fiberglass and add it there. On the inside of the cabin I'm not sure what else to do since the front floor and firewall are covered in a 1" thick rubber cover that extends clear to the front seats. Not sure I need to do much more than that.

If there was a way to add something inside the bulkhead behind the dash that would be where I'd really like to do something, I imagine that might be the source of some resonance as well.

I did manage to get the pedal cluster and brake / clutch master cylinders installed tonight, pretty happy about that.

Steve

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Wow I can't IMAGINE using the 02A type and thinking it was better than the 02J one. I could see not liking some of the short shift kits but the 02A shifter is positively Rube Goldberg compared to the simple elegance of the 02J one.

I did an 020 to 02A swap on my car and went with the 02J shifter, bought the Polo shift box that fits the B3/B4/A3 platform properly but kept the stock shifter tower parts.

I never ever found any threads anywhere with anyone saying they preferred the 02A shifter and definitely never found anyone switching back and I searched a LOT on multiple forums before springing for the parts.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
^ 2nded - I converted my B4 to the 02J shifter (used the Mk4 box, massaged the tunnel and cut down the lever rather than go full polo).

If I ever own a Mk3 Jetta, B4 passat, or another 99.5 jetta, 98/99 beetle, it will be the first mod I do - it's that much better.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks for the comments guys, as I said I've never had any personal complaint about the 02A setup other than I do agree that the throw is pretty long.

If I could get the Polo shifter assembly without a huge hassle I'd consider it but I'm still lacking other parts to get the overall project done so since I already have the 02A shifter an upgrade to the 02J type will have to wait until later unless I get a windfall (aka win lottery) very soon!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread this car literally needs everything, stem to stern so the money for this has to be rationed out carefully. I've been awfully fortunate in what I've found so far and glad of it. But there's still stuff to be acquired...lots.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
On Sunday I decided to the local u pull JY to see what there was that I didn't need and ran across this....unbelievable to find another one here!

Another 1990 alpine white B3v.

Unfortunately when I went on Sunday it was just for a quick walk through and I didn't take any tools with me. I had to go back on Monday to pull stuff and Monday was a very soggy day.

The really good luck was that the passenger side doors were in better shape than mine and there were some other odds and ends that I could use, including a bunch of interior plastics that got broken when the PO decided to rip things apart for some cheesy speakers that were installed.

Hopefully the new doors will solve my passenger side power window situation as well!

So I ended up getting the two passenger side doors, drivers mirror and the rear bumper assembly plus a bunch of the inside plastics.

Steve

Last edited: