Fuel Additives

CarYoga

TDI
VW Jetta Wagon 2005 GSL TDI
Does anyone have any advice about which fuel additive is best for the TDI...VW Jetta Wagon 2005?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Re: fuel Additives

I luv it!

What do you mean by "best"?

If you run the search engine, there are 3843 individual threads filled with opinions on additives. Have a look..

Welcome aboard!

CarYoga

TDI

Thats just it, where to begin! But I would think that many of that number of additives have been found to be junk and that a sterling few have survived the test of use.

I picked up Power Service yesterday and feel good about it, but then I thought to look and see what else was on the web. Then I started to ask the question, is Power Service good enough or is one of these products a better choice? Hum!

VW dealer recomends BG248 at $19.00 for two tanks.

Power Service was one of the best websites and they use no alcohol. Much better price too. About $4.00 for 4 tanks.

I live at 7200 feet in the Sandias and the temp is cold in the AM so I am concerned about getting something into the tank.

It sounds like it is important to make a educated decision about which product is "best", most reliable, least likely to do damage and most likely to increase performance.

I was actually surpised to not be able to find a thread concerning this topic already discussed in concise detail. I can't imagine any TDI owner not trying some additives and having come to some prefresences for some reasons.

Hopefully, we can come to some conculsions about what product is "best" for a number of different conditions.

Thanks!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

well, there are two distinct trains of thought when it comes to diesel fuel additives: To Pool or not to Pool, that is the question and it refers to the additive's technique for handling water.

So, if you'll answer that, I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Also, for the record, I'd like to state that in a perfect world additives should never be necessary

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver

Well in my "personal" opinion...if your looking for an additive that takes care of the gelling issue, adds lubrication, and is very economical, go to your local...or closest truck stop and pickup a bottle of Howes Diesel Treat. My father has been driving trucks for 35 years and he swears by the stuff and claims that it is the only additive he has ever run that he could actually TELL that it was in there. I personally have run it..then went to a different brand that had a cetane booster...I'm getting ready to go back to the Howes once my current bottle of the other stuff is gone...I got better mileage with the howes and to MY ear...the car seems like it ran quieter on the Howes. Again...this is one man's opinion and most people here have not used the Howes...I think it's because of the Trucker..big diesel stigma that it has, and admitedly it does not have a cetane boost in it.....but from MY personal exp. it ran better in my car than the current stuff I'm using. and its WAY cheaper than power service per application...a half gallon bottle usually runs $10-12 at the truck stop and that treats 750 gallons of fuel.

jqian

Veteran Member
fuel Additives

this is a tough question, I am running the exactly same car with you though. Stanadyne is the only brand VW recommends. But I found little difference after dosing it to my tank. Probably I will try something else like power service?

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
fuel Additives

VW recommends Stanadyne Lubricity.
The dealers largely stock Stanadyne Performance. Two different products.
Power Service Diesel Kleen does seem to be good (or better) value for money. As does Howes Meaner Power Kleaner, and Racor Conditioner Plus.
I agree there's other additives that contain Kerosene, and/or Alcohol that you only need to use in specific circumstances.

hth.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
fuel Additives

Was real impressed with the slick VW add. Next I'll go out and buy some Castrol oil for my car. Not.

I use Amsoil diesel fuel conditioner in addition to Amsoil cetane booster. Amsoil fuel conditioner and Stanydine separate water as opposed to desolving water. It's the same stuff.
My car runs so good it amazes me. But then I'd be amazed without any additive.
With the Amsoil in the fuel it will pull from 1300 rpm. But then I have learned that will overload the turbo so what's the point.? I use it because it cuts the smoke down to almost none existent. That should help with the intake clogging right? Maybe??
bottom line is it makes the car more fun to drive. I hear people very happy with Howes. I will give it a try some day after I run out of Amsoil. A case goes a very long way in a TDI.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
fuel Additives

I use Amsoil diesel fuel conditioner
I use it because it cuts the smoke down to almost none existent.
Interesting comment, because it contains Barium compounds according to its msds, one of the few. Barium is touted as being a good smoke suppressant, so maybe it does work from your report.

CarYoga

TDI

At this point, it seems to be Stanadyne taking the lead, due to the endorsemtment by VW. It seems to match Power Service in all respects. Or should I say that PS matches Stanadyne and may be better even. I think that PS may be easier to get at Wall Mart. Stanadyne through speciality shops and some on the internet.

Good general info at this site about additives...
http://www.itow.org/fueladd.htm

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

It seems to match Power Service in all respects. Or should I say that PS matches Stanadyne and may be better even.

Greg, not really. Stanadyne causes water to pool so it can freeze up in the winter. PS disperses water so you keep driving when it gets very cold.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I just had this nice message from the good folks over at PowerService:

'dork,

Good question and since I do not know the level of your understanding about water dispersants I will give you the long answer.

A Demulsifier, an emulsifier and a water solubilizer are all water dispersants. All diesel fuel has water in it. The water that is in diesel fuel will not hurt or harm the motor, pumps or injectors. Low Sulfur diesel fuel usually has around 50 to 65ppm (parts per million) water in the fuel. When the water content of the fuel gets around 100ppm or higher, the more likely fuel filter icing will occur when the temperatures become severe.

An emulsifier will pull water up into the fuel as small droplets and often will cause the fuel to be cloudy. In the winter months when the temperature drops below freezing, these water droplets can freeze on the filter face of the water separator causing the flow of fuel to stop, even though the fuel is still liquid. It does not take much water to cause Fuel Filter Icing problems. Also, as the temperatures drop water in the fuel can fall out depending on how much water is in the fuel and how cold it gets, which adds to water problems.

A solubilizer will take the water and solubilize it back into the fuel. When this happens you will not have water droplets suspended in the fuel and when you look at the fuel it will be clear and not cloudy. This is the preferred method to get free water out of the system and to keep the water that is in the fuel from falling out.

Demulsifiers will cause excess water to fall out of the fuel or pool. This water will fall to the bottom of the fuel tank or fuel system and can cause corrosion, rust, reduced lubricity and in the winter months it can freeze in the fuel lines and prevent fuel flow. There are about a dozen demulsifiers or de-hazers on the market. None of them will work on all fuels. You have to test the fuel you are using against the various demulsifiers to see which one will work with that fuel. They are fuel specific and when an additive company says they use demulsifiers in their additives it is for advertisement purposes only. If you talk to any Chemist that knows anything about demulsifiers they will tell you the same thing.

Warm fuel will carry more water than cold fuel. When it gets cold some water can fall out of the fuel, or the water separator can squeeze out this excess water which can freeze on the filter face and cause the fuel to stop flowing through the filter even though the fuel is still liquid. This is call Fuel Filter Icing and is often mistaken for fuel gelling.

Our Diesel Fuel Supplement (DFS) contains a deicer that is intended to keep the water in the fuel from falling out. The deicer in DFS can also help to solubilize small amounts of water in the fuel system. If too much water is in the fuel tank it can overpower the deicer in the Diesel Fuel Supplement. So, DFS is neither a demulsifier or an emulsifier.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Technical Support
Power Service Products, Inc.
Why VWoA selected Stanadyne as the "preferred" product I'll never know. It sure wasn't for its technical merits.

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd

If you use the 'One Shot' version of Performance Formula from Stanadyne, you use 235 ml. If you use the larger (economy size), you only add 117 ml for the same amount of fuel.
Just an observation.

REKTDI98

TDI
98 Jetta 250,002k

I wish we had somebody with a chem background to do a comparative analysis of these items to see what if any real differences there are. Until then, I am using Performance Formula. Isn't marketing wonderful!!

300sdl

TDI
'02 Jetta 5-sp. white/tan leather

Just pulled an injector after 22k on Power Service white bottle at the high (2x) treatment rate. Injector was very dirty, as was the chamber. Just switched to LDL. I've seen engines using that product come apart in clean condition.

SilverTDIPDJetta

TDI
2004 GLS Silver/Black

I started out using PowerService All Season. My ran great on the PS. But it smoked... alot. Many times when I was not even on the pedal much. As a result, I decided to try Standydne All Season Performance. It runs just as well on the Standydne, but it hardly ever smokes. Just on cold start up and when I am climbing a long, steady hill.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid

Reality of it is, if VW recommends Stanadyne, then Stanadyne is more than adequate as a fuel additive. If it was merely a marketing gimmick, then VW would only be setting itself up for loads of complaints from very unhappy TDI owners. This is especially true since most TDI owners keep their cars for a very long time, much longer than the average car owner.

I picked up a case of 12 Stanadyne Performance Formula 16oz. bottles on eBay for $50. Not bad considering you're only supposed to use 1/4 bottle per tank!

Like many other TDI topics, this is purely a personal preference matter. VW recommends Stanadyne, but there are dozens of other diesel fuel additives out there.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo

Reality of it is, .... VW recommends Stanadyne, then Stanadyne is ..... adequate as a fuel additive.
Its a global recommendation.
Diesel fuel is a commodity that is a mixture of hydrocarbons, and that mixture varies greatly.

Example, Sometimes the aromatic hydrocarbon content of the diesel fuel might be less than 10% (California) or 30% (Alberta)
Aromatics make the diesel smell, they increase the energy content of the fuel, decrease the cetane, make the fuel burn hotter, increase the NOX pollution, etc etc.

Additives work on the fuel, so clearly it depends on the chemistry of the fuel as to what additive is best.

As you say Stanadyne is a good generalist. Other additives have the potential to be better in specific locations.
So its worthwhile experimenting.
my 2 cents

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member

I use four ounces of Amsoil Cetane boost, four ounces of Amsoil Deisel Additive and four ounces of Stanadyne every tank. I have used those products every tank since my car was new. I now have 75,000 miles on her.

TB