Experienced EGR & DPF Delete Veterans?

Mmobley15

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I’m not sure if this is a “beating a dead horse” subject or if the TDI crowd is totally against all this but I think it’s time. My EGR & DPF system is finally giving in and by the looks of it, repairing it would be just as much, if not more, than a
EGR & DPF delete kit(RawTek) followed by a tune(Malone). I’m way more for the practicality and reliability of the delete than performance. Which is why I’m leaning towards the ECO tune by Malone. We’ll see. Anyways, I’m wanting to know the serious “cautions” when doing the delete. As in things such as, “be prepared for this to break.” or “make sure you have this tool or you’ll be ****ed.” I have very typical mechanic tools and waiting for a set of triple squares bits to come in. Also curious how it went for you guys who did it. I see the detailed instructions that RawTek gives you but did you personally run into something that the instructions didn’t mention. Any and all help would be tremendous help.

Last edited:

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
It's not hard. No need to lower subframe. 3 foot crowbar to press the heat shield padding to make room for dpf to come out. A big BFH and crowbar for some persuasion from the top once you get it lined up the right way. A little bit of this and a little bit of that. These are really not hard compared to hmm down pipe install on my Duramax. That was a test of patience. Don't get too caught up in the instructions as this will be very apparent once you get into it. When it's out they are fun to shoot in the back yard and let your frustration out. 1st one was way longer than the other 3 I've done. Like timing belt or anything else for that matter. First time on your back looking at realistically 4 hours. Oh you need triple square for the axle. Cheap pack from AZ or O'Reilley if you don't have a set. When you're done you'll be amazed at all the crap that comes off. Sawzall makes it quicker too. You'll see where you need to cut to get the old pipe out, makes it go quicker without having to play Jenga.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Are none of these systems that you say are failing not covered by the dieselgate extended warranty?

w123houston

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6MT
i did the delete myself and would say the rawtek instructions are adequate. there should be no surprises. get the car as high as you can so you can work underneath it comfortably. advice from @iamatt is spot on - no need to undo the subframe. Just use a rubber mallet and prybar to move the axle around so you can coax the dpf out.

if you're in a state that does not check diesel emissions, i don't see the point in waiting for the extended warranty to expire before doing the delete. To me, its an
extended headache because you have to go to the dealer everytime something in that OEM mess of sensors, restrictions etc. goes wrong and hope they really fixed it. Delete if you can and enjoy a more reliable car with lower EGT's, better mpg's and a much better driving experience.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Are none of these systems that you say are failing not covered by the dieselgate extended warranty?
These systems are covered by the dieselgate warranty BUT, he doesnt say how many miles are on his car OR how many years ago he had the 'fixes' done OR if he had them done at all so he may already be out of warranty or never had it at all. I cant speak for anyone else on the boards but after my extended warranties run out I'm getting a tune and then deleting everything at the first sign of trouble from any of the previously covered systems. In the meantime I will buy the bits and pieces I need as I find them gently used, on sale, or just paying full new price as extra funds allow. After all I have around 4 years and about 60k miles before all my warranties are gone.

Mmobley15

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Thank you @iamat and @w123houston(go Astros). Your replies helped out a **** ton and made the process seem not as difficult as it once did. It seems to be that taking all the factory **** out is the hardest thing to do and everything else is pretty straight forward. For @MichaelB and @JesseTDI. I'm pretty pissed at Volkswagen. Well, personally the only dealership near me (Tampa, FL). My turbo blew up at 149,000 miles and the hungry money dealership charged me 3,600 dollars to replace it all. The turbo, parts with the EGR and DPF along with the cooler. Later down the road, the engine light checks on, bring it in, and they then decide to tell me how they'll put me on the diesel extended warranty for the scam followed by them laughing that it could've covered my turbo blowing up and saving me 3,600 dollars in repair. This all happened maybe two months ago. Today, at 162,000 miles, the check engine lights comes on, I diagnose it and says the filter is going again. Pretty tired of getting my wallet drained and losing respect for Volkswagen. I get cars break from time to time but I feel as a dealership, they should do their best to do what's right for a loyal customer.

Here's where I usually am anyways. Parking lot of an O'Reillys. In hope that the ramps I have will be sufficient enough for room.

Last edited:

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
You probably will have to sawzall that crap off the back if using ramps because muffler pipe bends need clearance to get over things without hitting the ground. Once all that BS is off you'll be so much happier and thank God you live in the South ;) . I usually just put car on 4 jacks. Be careful.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Definitely be careful. If some idiot backs into your car while you're under it, .... could be bad. I know it's unlikely, but sh*t happens.

Mmobley15

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Just bought the EGR & DPF ECO kit and Malone Stage 2. Should be here sometime tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Pretty daaaaaaaaaaaaamn excited.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
pretty basic job. removing the old hardware is way worse than installing new.

while not required it does help to lower the subframe, unless you break out the saw.

Mmobley15

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
So far so good...BUT...for some reason. The rear engine mount, or engine, has shifted entirely to the front. I can't for the life of me figure out what has happened. It's the two bolts that connect to the dog bone mount. The holes aren't aligned. Any help would be much appreciated.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
engine moved, you'll need to move it back into position to line up the bolts, make sure there's no tension when installing to avoid damaging the threads.

Mmobley15

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
So, all completed! I appreciate all you guys for the hints and helps. The DPF was a no joke process when it came to getting out. The sawzall did come in handy with that. Chopped half of it off when I had enough of it's ****. The dog bone mount was wedged and clipped itself onto the engine and that's why I had such a hard time trying to get the engine to budge. Crow bar came in handy for that one. Over all, besides the 95 degree florida heat and cuts all over my hands, it's all perfect. Rawtek gave quick responses and everything fit perfectly. I'll probably add a muffler later on because the straight pipe makes it sound like I'm driving a semi truck. That turbo whistle though...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Thank you @iamat and @w123houston(go Astros). Your replies helped out a **** ton and made the process seem not as difficult as it once did. It seems to be that taking all the factory **** out is the hardest thing to do and everything else is pretty straight forward. For @MichaelB and @JesseTDI. I'm pretty pissed at Volkswagen. Well, personally the only dealership near me (Tampa, FL). My turbo blew up at 149,000 miles and the hungry money dealership charged me 3,600 dollars to replace it all. The turbo, parts with the EGR and DPF along with the cooler. Later down the road, the engine light checks on, bring it in, and they then decide to tell me how they'll put me on the diesel extended warranty for the scam followed by them laughing that it could've covered my turbo blowing up and saving me 3,600 dollars in repair. This all happened maybe two months ago. Today, at 162,000 miles, the check engine lights comes on, I diagnose it and says the filter is going again. Pretty tired of getting my wallet drained and losing respect for Volkswagen. I get cars break from time to time but I feel as a dealership, they should do their best to do what's right for a loyal customer.

Here's where I usually am anyways. Parking lot of an O'Reillys. In hope that the ramps I have will be sufficient enough for room.
You should submit the receipts and see if you can get reimbursed by VW for that repair. worth a shot!

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad yah got it in. Should have warned about the sharp metal sorry. Got me once real bad as well. I'd just add the rawtek muffler and keep the sweet tips that you payed for Instead. It is not really loud to me compared to half of the vehicles driving around here in Texas.