Manual stalling issue fixed on 2010 Jetta

jajohn

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 05 Liberty, 10 Jetta
As has been reported in previous threads, the A5s (especially 09 and 10) with the manual transmission have been very easy to stall, with an abrupt engine cutoff around the 700 rpm mark. I won't rehash all the details, but our 2010 Jetta was the worst my wife and I had ever seen in our combined 40+ years of driving manuals, and both of us had/have A4 TDIs.

My wife drives the Jetta, and took it to the dealer last week for scheduled 30k service. After getting the car back, she immediately noticed a difference in the clutch feel. The rpm no longer drops below 800 at idle, and it is now possible to accelerate from a standing start on level ground using just the clutch (no accelerator) in first or second gear. This was normal for the A4s, but before this fix I would have called it impossible on an A5.

Note that the dealer did not issue any recall notice or warning of this fix, in spite of the fact that my wife has previously complained of this issue to the dealership and VWOA. It's a 'secret' fix, yet nevertheless an effective one.

For those of you with manuals who have this problem, I encourage you to get yourself to a dealer and get the latest update(s), you'll be much happier afterward! Those of you who said the problem was all in our heads and due to poor driving technique can stay away, obviously you won't notice a difference anyway ;)

Hurricane Drew

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Did you request this work specifically, or did they just do it on their own? I'm avoiding my local dealer here due to the quality of their work unfortunately. I've just become accustomed to how it shifts without any major issues.

jajohn

Veteran Member
TDI
It was not requested and not discussed or mentioned, it may be on the work sheet as a generic service bulletin number but nothing more. My wife had complained about this issue at this dealer some months ago, but there was no evidence that it had anything to do with this change.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My '09 Jetta had its 30k service last week and they installed an ECU update. However, they could not (or would not) tell me what it was for. It did seem a little smoother when I drove away and I have not (yet) noticed the 1800-2200 rpm "shudder" when cold. I have not noticed any change in the "stalling" issue, because I solved that problem a long time ago. I learned how the car wanted to be driven. I believe that the stalling issue has to do with the combination of the ECU programming and the slight delay in the drive-by-wire throttle. Once I got used to the throttle/clutch timing - there no longer was a stalling issue. I have not stalled my car in many months - and it had nothing to do with any updates (except to my driving style). I wish VW would tell us what they change when they issue an "update" so we wouldn't be stuck trying to guess what was and what was not changed. It seems that they prefer to keep us (and their own dealers) in the dark. To me, this seems to be a strange way to do business.

Have Fun!

Don

jajohn

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI, here's the recall number that appeared to fix the problem:
23H1 RECALL—23H101A 23602599 UPDATE SOFTWARE LEVEL 86 WV3

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder if this applies to 2009s also.
I can tell you more in an hour or so. I had the ECU update installed in my '09 last week. I plan to do a VCDS autoscan today at lunch time. I will post the resulting software version change. On my paperwork it calls it the "YI Recall", then it says "YI YI RVU-2.0TDI ECM Software Update".

I will add to this info after I do the autoscan.

[EDIT] Update: I did an autoscan and the only change was the revision number (software version?) in the "Component:" line as follows:

Component: R4 2.0L EDC G0005G 5109 (old version) changed to
Component: R4 2.0L EDC G0005G 8680 (new version)

Everything in the Engine section (controller 01) is identical.
My car is a 2009 JSW

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
I have not noticed any change in the "stalling" issue, because I solved that problem a long time ago. I learned how the car wanted to be driven.
Can you try to provoke a stall, and let us know how different it feels compared to your earlier memory? I would be curious to know if the '09s display the same change.

jajohn

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW, A dealer rep responded to our survey response and stated that 'the recall does raise the stall speed, that is probably what is helping the stall issue. The clutch is untouched by the recall since it is purely a hydraulic piece.'

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you try to provoke a stall, and let us know how different it feels compared to your earlier memory? I would be curious to know if the '09s display the same change.
Well, I tried, but it is not easy to "unlearn" how to prevent stalling. It does appear to be more resistant to stalling. I should probably let my wife try driving it - she still stalls it regularly when she tries to drive it (before the update).

I can also state that I have been unable to get that shudder (misfire) between 1800 and 2200 rpms to occur when the engine is cold. This also appears to have been fixed.

Between these two fixes, they have made it much more drivable. Kudos to VW - it looks like they actually did something right.

Have Fun!

Don

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
Excellent. My state inspection is due, so that gives me an excuse to head up to the dealer and ask for the update as well. My wife wasn't interested in driving the car out on streets - this might be a catalyst for her to reconsider.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
After reading the above posts in this thread, I now have to go out and test drive my 2009 manual trans TDi Jetta. The 30k service was performed today, and one of the items on the work order was the 23H101A update. I too had to 'learn' how to drive my Jetta after stalling it a few times during the first few weeks of ownership. I've owned two different Cummins diesel Dodge Rams with manuals that would pull my 7,000 LB boat up a steep boat ramp just idling, without even touching the throttle so I was surprised I could stall the Jetta so easily.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It can still be stalled, it's just a little more forgiving, that's all. Since you have already learned how to drive it, you probably won't notice much difference.

Have Fun!

Don