Rear Fog Lights

dubidoobs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 "Facelifted" JSW 6MT | 04/2010 Build Date
Did this a few months ago. Followed a few posts but the same process (Trigger wire from headlight switch pin 7 to cecm A17 (black connector). Move wire from A28 to C47. Move wire that was C47 to A28 to maintain DRL. Change byte 18, module 9, from 00 to 02). Works fine (pic below), but what change is prior to the swap/coding, top lamp was for brakes, middle was a park. After coding, all four lamps lit, top still lights up as a brake light, and when you open the hatch, the middle turns off. Tht's not really my concern (I actually like that), but what I always thought is that I can run the rear fog with the park lights only - my rear fog doesn't turn on unless I turn on the headlights (like I am able to with my old W123 Benz).

Is this how it works?

4cefed4

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI
I also have a question if anyone is still reading this thread. My car unintentionally had a Euro drivers side tail with the rear fog installed. At first when the car was put in reverse, one side would light up clear and the other red, but both worked. My car had the CECM fried and replaced under warranty for unrelated reasons, and now the drivers side light never lights up, and the passenger side light only lights when the hatch is closed. This all seems bizarre to me, any recommendations what I should look at? Are the pins in the connector going to the two tail lamps the same in European as North American models?

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
Reverse lights not lighting up with the hatch open is normal. Turns the BUC off, too.

BCM may be a coding issue. Make sure there's no option enabled that makes the BCM think you have rear fogs.

When switching to a rear fog, you swap wires on the BCM connectors and recode the BCM into thinking your car is a RoW Golf. If you haven't swapped wires, you shouldn't be able to get a rear fog.

The EuroTail with fog enabled is the driver's side (only). It has a red lens where the reverse light would be on a non-fog model. IIRC, it uses a white bulb, just like it would for reverse. See the excellent photo above.

I know this is obvious, but is there a chance that the bulb is loose or burned out?

Last edited:

jlkacosta

TDI
2013 4-door 2.0 TDI Golf
First post, weird question. Just got a 2013 TDI Golf, non-tech package. I'm stationed in the UK, and it was mandatory for them to wire the rear fogs prior to delivery. The way my rear fogs work are different from what I've read so far, so I'm not sure what parts I would need to purchase, if any...here goes.

Both reverse lights work just fine. When the fogs are turned on, both inner red lights come one..brighter than the outer tails. Again, both reverse lights work as normal. The inner red lights do not turn on except when the fog lights are turned on.

Can I expect to have similar coding issues, inop lights, etc.?

Mahalo

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
First post, weird question. Just got a 2013 TDI Golf, non-tech package. I'm stationed in the UK, and it was mandatory for them to wire the rear fogs prior to delivery. The way my rear fogs work are different from what I've read so far, so I'm not sure what parts I would need to purchase, if any...here goes.

Both reverse lights work just fine. When the fogs are turned on, both inner red lights come one..brighter than the outer tails. Again, both reverse lights work as normal. The inner red lights do not turn on except when the fog lights are turned on.

Can I expect to have similar coding issues, inop lights, etc.?

Mahalo
No.

you have a completely different set of taillights then what we get here in the States.

your lights are functioning perfectly.

jlkacosta

TDI
2013 4-door 2.0 TDI Golf
No.

you have a completely different set of taillights then what we get here in the States.

your lights are functioning perfectly.
btcost - Sorry, I didn't mention that I have a US Spec TDI. Only the lights were converted to meet UK standards.

dubidoobs

Veteran Member
TDI
Apologies for not reading through all the posts on this thread, but I installed my rear fog and is active but I'm only able to turn on the rear fog when the swiych is fully "ON".

Did this:

Trigger wire from headlight switch pin 7 to cecm A17 (black connector). Move wire from A28 to C47. Move wire that was C47 to A28 to maintain DRL. Change byte 18, module 9, from 00 to 02.

1K MY 2010: got a bulb out MIL for the left reverse bulb so I cleared that while I was there.

My old W123 Benz used to let me have park & rear fogs on. I guess it's really for use when you need all the lighting available.

Does anyone think I may have tapped the incorrect pin? Also, all four bulbs light up when the park lights are on/brakes stepped on, and when you open the hatch, the top bulbs shut off and only the center (OE settings = park) stay on.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Apparently, this thread is still being semi-followed still.

Anyways, I spent over an hour screwing with the wires in A28 and C47. Ended up snipping both and using butt splices and about 6 inches of wire extension to cross the wires. Put the trigger from pin 7 on the euro switch to A17, and did the coding in VCDS. All works like a charm. I didn't want to have to do the butt splice option, but that saved me a lot of frustration and time.

dubidoobs

Veteran Member
TDI
Does ur setup work like how mine ended up being?

Can u turn on the rear fog with just the park? (2nd stop on euro switch)?

Apparently, this thread is still being semi-followed still.

Anyways, I spent over an hour screwing with the wires in A28 and C47. Ended up snipping both and using butt splices and about 6 inches of wire extension to cross the wires. Put the trigger from pin 7 on the euro switch to A17, and did the coding in VCDS. All works like a charm. I didn't want to have to do the butt splice option, but that saved me a lot of frustration and time.

Sent from my Star-Tac using an iPhone5 through Tapatalk by way of my Nokia 3600

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Wow. This is the sloth of threads. The 3 previous posts were in 3 different years.

I'm envisioning a book or movie where mythic troll/ogre-like creatures wake up from hibernation, re-engage in conversation for a brief moment, think quietly for a while, then go back to their rip-van-winkle sleep for a year, wake back up, pick up mid-conversation where they'd left off last year, go back to hibernating..... Characters like maybe Treebeard (the old shepherd of the trees) in Lord of the Rings.....

I just ruined it. 2 posts in the same day and year.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Wow. This is the sloth of threads. The 3 previous posts were in 3 different years.

I'm envisioning a book or movie where mythic troll/ogre-like creatures wake up from hibernation, re-engage in conversation for a brief moment, think quietly for a while, then go back to their rip-van-winkle sleep for a year, wake back up, pick up mid-conversation where they'd left off last year, go back to hibernating..... Characters like maybe Treebeard (the old shepherd of the trees) in Lord of the Rings.....

I just ruined it. 2 posts in the same day and year.
It's better than starting from the beginning every year! ;)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Since this thread is kinda still being monitored, I have an issue - when I start the car, I get an error message telling me to check the rear fog light. It doesn't light up and already tried a known good working bulb. I'm wondering/hoping it's just a bad connection when I used my butt connectors to bridge the pins that were supposed to be switched on the lighting harness. Has anyone else had this error pull up? I thought it was related to my front fogs (of which I think my relay half works, and my fuse and fuse holder recently melted), but I don't know if the two are tied together or not.

==UPDATE==

Changed out the relay for my front fogs, and that fixed the problem for my rear fogs. Funny how one relay can cause other stuff not to work.

Last edited:

adrian537

TDI
2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi
dubidoobs did you find a way to resolve this issue with all 4 lights being ON? and the middle ones turning OFF when opening the trunk? or not?
i have the same problem

fitzfaced

TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
left rear taillight housing

Best picture I could get at night. You can also see the cut-off from the front fogs against the barn. The fog is brighter than the rear lights, but it's lensed so it's focused a bit. Standing outside the car, looking down at it, it looks a bit brighter, but if you are coming at it from behind at ride height it's a lot brighter.

The one reverse light thing isn't bothering me. It's still throwing plenty of light back there.
Where did you purchase the left rear taillight assembly? doing a rear fog mod soon and would like to not have to use a red bulb

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I am also interested in where to purchase the Euro left rear taillight assembly. Did not see it on the ECS website.

Also wanted to know if the 2014 JSW requires an upgrade to the highline version CECM?

Thanks - Mike

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Rear fogs are intended to be red.

Correct, the lenses are red, but the bulbs are clear.

I also am looking for a supplier to purchase a left rear (euro) tail light with fog.

Have a email into ECS tuning, but so far, no reply.

Thanks,
Mike

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
I found a place for this from a few weeks back, but no one could confirm if it was the light or dark red version. Let me see if I can find the link and someone else can be the guinea pig.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Rear Fog Part Number Help

ECS Tuning replied that they to see will check if they can order one, but asked me for the part number.
Can anyone verify that this is the correct part number for the driver side rear tail light with fog?
1K9945095H
(Note - the US tail light is PN 1K9945095G)
Thanks,
Mike