www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 28th, 2017, 10:40   #1
that tdi guy

Fuel Economy: 34 MPG
Smile Fenderexit exhaust

Alright, I'm really getting bored with my 2.25 inch straight pipe, and 4 inch tip. I really can't hear the exhaust, due to the fact the exhaust just shoots straight out the back, and away from my ears. I want to do something to my exhaust, to make it so that I can hear that glorious exhaust note, and turbo whistle. I like the idea of a fender exit, and I think it would really make the car stick out, but I'm not stuck on that idea. If anyone has any idea that is cheaper, and works just as well, I'm all ears. I just want to be able to hear my exhaust! Thanks in advance!
that tdi guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 12:09   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yeah, no. Sounds cool... at first. Then it gets old. REALLY old.

BTDT.

Just have any decent exhaust shop fab you up something and dump it out the left side of the car, ahead of the rear wheel. Get a space blanket chunk to go around the parking brake cable on that side to protect it from the heat.

It does sound neat, but not something I would want to drive every day.
Old November 30th, 2017, 04:52   #3
scrambld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by that tdi guy View Post
Alright, I'm really getting bored with my 2.25 inch straight pipe, and 4 inch tip. I really can't hear the exhaust, due to the fact the exhaust just shoots straight out the back, and away from my ears. I want to do something to my exhaust, to make it so that I can hear that glorious exhaust note, and turbo whistle!
I have a better idea for you.....at the turbo exit, simply put in a mandrel 90 and run it straight thru the firewall into the cabin. Get creative and tie it into one of the dash vents....then you'll get all that glorious noise and hear the turbo whistle no matter what the weather might be...windows up OR down....for a little while anyway.

Last edited by scrambld; November 30th, 2017 at 04:53. Reason: Spelling booboo
scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 06:11   #4
that tdi guy

Wow scrambld, what a genius idea. I wonder why I didn't think of that to begin with...
Old November 30th, 2017, 06:11   #5
that tdi guy

Thank you oil hammer, for a legitimate response.
Old November 30th, 2017, 11:12   #6
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Well, you are living up to your forum name...

You are "that" tdi guy.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 14:05   #7
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambld View Post
I have a better idea for you.....at the turbo exit, simply put in a mandrel 90 and run it straight thru the firewall into the cabin. Get creative and tie it into one of the dash vents....then you'll get all that glorious noise and hear the turbo whistle no matter what the weather might be...windows up OR down....for a little while anyway.
I understand were you are coming from. What you are saying, in a round about way, is that a TDI does not sound like a dinosaur gasser V8 because it isn't.

OH's idea is actually doable for not to much money and would make at least some difference in perceived sound.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote