2006 DSG transmission

CarolinaOwner

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If there is a better place to post this, please direct me. I have read so much on the web about these transmissions I'm surprised not to find a dedicated transmission forum.
The DSG transmission in my recently purchased previously owned 2006 Jetta "bumps" when shifting, starting from a complete stop.It clunks or bumps really hard on the first shift and as the car accelerates (moderately... not a hotrod launch) it clunks hard again.
It drives well on the highway at 65-70. I was going to just add fluid until I learned that my "automatic transmission" is really a gearbox with automatic clutches...

so I took it to the dealer for a diagnostic and the dealer report says "ran GFF - no faults found" and "Hard shift indicates clutch failures" and "Delayed shifts indicate faulty electronics," and "requiring transmission replacement."

BUT a clue for me ... when I shift manually in the "tiptronic" mode the shifts do not clunk or "bump."

In your best experienced opinions:
Do I need clutches or do I need a rebuilt "Mechatronic unit" or both?
Is there a chance it just needs the fluid topped off?
If I have experience with dry clutches, can I replace the wet clutches in this system or is it just too complex?

The fact that it works ok when manually shifted seems important....

Thanks for your experienced opinions !

Last edited:

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I'm not a pro, but I think that you should change the transmission fluid and perform a recalibration with VCDS. When DSG makes a clunk when it downshifts from 2nd to 1st gear, I'm performing the VCDS recalibration and it goes away. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking the solenoids in the Mechatronics are causing your problem.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I agree with relumalutan. Mind you, I was born at a very young age, but you definitely do not need to replace the transmission if you have a bad mechtronic unit, unless if the failure of the unit caused some sort of internal damage to the transmission. There's plenty of tutorials and videos to show how it's done, if it comes to that.

CarolinaOwner

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the rapid response.
From what you have said, I should replace the Mechatronics first?
As I said it seems to shift fine in Tiptronic mode. Is that as significant as I think it is?

And reading between the lines (and elsewhere on the internet) it appears that if I replace the electronics, I will still have to have software to get it working properly. Is that correct?

I don't have VCDS since this car is new to me. I went to the Ross-Tech website and will have to study it more carefully, but some of their products are expensive. What Ross-Tech product do I need to deal with this 2006 Jetta... Approximately how much should I
spend ? Are the "Lite" products satisfactory?

And then if I still have to replace the clutches is there anything else that could be wrong?
In my experience with simpler older cars, gear boxes go bad with synchro and bearings and finally gear teeth failure, but I don't think we have any of those issues here.

CarolinaOwner

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Oh... And I forgot to ask... do you have any pointers on where to go for affordable rebuilt electronics? Is it practical not to buy a new VW unit for big bucks?
Thanks again...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Change the fluid and filter, run all the Basic Settings/recalibration, then see how it does. Remember, these do not shift like many other automatics. In some cases people think there is something wrong when there really isn't. Have you driven another identical car as yours for comparison?

CarolinaOwner

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
For anyone who can advise, but especially oilhammer.
I guess it's time for me to learn to understand the software and not only pull wrenches.
So can you tell me more or is there a tutorial video somewhere about the VCDS or Vag Com?
As I noted earlier in this thread... will I need to spend some money (~$1500?) or do the so-called "Lite" Ross-Tech products meet this need?
Thanks again...

oilhammer

TDI
I have the full version of VCDS, I do not know which would be the minimum required for DSG services.

www.ross-tech.com has a lot of very good info, including a good step by step for DSG procedures.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
For anyone who can advise, but especially oilhammer.
I guess it's time for me to learn to understand the software and not only pull wrenches.
So can you tell me more or is there a tutorial video somewhere about the VCDS or Vag Com?
As I noted earlier in this thread... will I need to spend some money (~$1500?) or do the so-called "Lite" Ross-Tech products meet this need?
Thanks again...
The 199 dollar one should do the trick. That one should have all of the features you need assuming you have a laptop.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I have the Micro Can version (paid $200 for it) and it works on recalibrating the DSG, plus many, many other things. Check the for sale section, maybe you can find one there. Also, you can check vw vortex ad Golf/Jetta 5 section. If not, I think this will work: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/. The software is available to download for free on Ross-Tech website.

Another important thing to take in consideration: when the fuel filter is clogged, the engine is starving for fuel and acts as something is wrong with the transmission (hesitating while changing gears). That was the case when I bought my car, I could shift gears without issues only in the manual mode. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Last edited:

CarolinaOwner

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't know when the fuel filter was last changed because I bought the car recently.
However I'll change the fuel filter.
Also thanks for the advice about software... It was just what I needed to know. I have a laptop and look forward to learning something new ! I've never had to deal with this much technology before when working on cars... but it's time to learn. Thanks again

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
DSG Filter not Fuel!

I don't know when the fuel filter was last changed because I bought the car recently.
However I'll change the fuel filter.
I do not believe the Fuel Filter would have anything to do with this problem. Was this a random statement? The Fuel Filter Maintenance Interval is 20K Miles and the DSG Fluid and Filter is 40K miles. There is a sticky thread for changing the Transmission Fluid and re-callibration is in the Ross-Tech Manual. I would not think about doing the Megatronics until i had changed the Fluid Twice. Get one of the vendors on this forum to provide the DSG Fluid and Filter. A nice hose does the bottom fill and there is a tool kit for that. Some do a Top Fill through the filter opening (Not Me, as I have the Hose). Good Luck. I'm surprised it shifts well when using the Select Manual Mode). That is encouraging to think it to be a reset issue. When I did my reset, I spent a Mile in each gear at 4,500 RPM. I was booking pretty fast in sixth!

oilhammer

TDI
For what it is worth, the 02E DSG has proven to be a pretty reliable and durable transmission... much to my surprise. The earlier ones had worse shifting strategies, prompting them to garner the nick name "Dorky Spastic Gearbox", but once you get used to them they are not that bad. And the newer ones are even better.

There are a few common spots that often need attention though:

The DMF (dual mass flywheel). Not a matter of IF, but WHEN. They will all start rattling around eventually and if they get neglected for too long, they'll beat the crap out of the pilot bearing in the crankshaft, and strip out the splines on the input shaft, which is part of the clutch assembly.

The clutches eventually wear out. Sometimes they'll slip a little, upon initial engagement, but then be OK to drive the car once going. The software does its best to moderate this, but just like the wet clutches in a conventional automatic or a motorcycle transmission, eventually they do wear out and need to be replaced. It takes a LONG time on the 02E if you drive mostly highway miles. It is the inchworm stop and go traffic that can hinder their longevity, unless you drive the car like you would a manual...and just creep along in 1st gear at a slow and steady pace.

The M-unit, which is the transmission controller and valve body all in one. There are any one of 100 things that could fail that could necessitate replacement of this one all inclusive and somewhat pricey part. If you are patient, and handy, some times the root cause is debris buildup in one of the many teeny tiny little mesh screens inside them, and if you take it all apart and clean it all up, you can get all the fluid working wear it should be again. There are also I am told aftermarket sources for the individual solenoids, should a failure of one of those arise.

CarolinaOwner

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Wow.... sounds like some advice and opinions I can work with. Thanks !
My comment about the fuel filter was sort of random, although it was in response to the previous post just above it . Since I haven't had the car long enough to have changed it myself and don't know when it was changed last, then it seems like a good precaution.
Moving on... great... I will change the transmission fluid twice and learn how to re-calibrate.
Thank you for the recommendation about the DMF. I don't recall having any of the symptoms I have read about online, but I'll re-test drive the car and observe very carefully. If I get close to the DMF (that is, taking out the transmission to replace clutches) then I'll plan a pre-emptive replacement of the DMF.
I need to test drive it again after all the suggestions. Last time I tested it on the road, I did not interpret the shifting sounds as slipping clutches, but rather as "hard shifts." I read a post in which someone used the term "bump" and I think that describes it pretty well, although it is a very hard bump!
If the clutches slip, do they slip and then engage hard? Or do they behave like a dry clutch and slip until they just don't slip any more after you get under way? Or could it go either way?
Well... thanks again for all the time and attention. I'll order the fluid and the kit for the bottom fill and talk to Ross-Tech about which product I need. Perhaps someone can advise on that as well. Will the "Lite" product be enough (around $200) or do I need to spend over $1000 for the more complete product?
I have noted that two of you have suggested that the $199-$200 version will calibrate the DSG.
The good news? After this I won't be as intimidated by newer computerized vehicles! (My most recent vehicle was a 1994 truck.)

Last edited:

CarolinaOwner

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
bobthefarmer suggested I buy my DSG fluid and filter from vendors on this site. However I have been all over the site including the fuels and lubricants forum and can't find any vendors.
Any suggestions as to where to look for listed vendors on this site...
Thanks...

Excuse the CAPS - But Found the vendor list... !

Last edited:

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
short list

bobthefarmer suggested I buy my DSG fluid and filter from vendors on this site. However I have been all over the site including the fuels and lubricants forum and can't find any vendors.
Any suggestions as to where to look for listed vendors on this site...
Thanks...

Excuse the CAPS - But Found the vendor list... !
A) Franko6 (member)
B) IDParts.com
C) CascadeGerman.com
more?
http://www.tdiclub.com/links/tdivendors.html

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The car has to level when filling. Follow the directions no cutting corners.

Codyusaf

TDI
2006 Jetta Auto
If you replace the mechatronics unit with a brand new one from VW or ECS Tuning do they need to be programmed? Or only if you buy a used unit from a junkyard place?

Which version of vagcom do I need to do the programming? Anyone have a link?