www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 14th, 2017, 07:10   #16
borjawil
Veteran Member

Reusing the gaskets is likely what i will do, do you think using a thin coat of high temp rtv on either side would help?

Im assuming the turbo oil drain pipe is the pipe near the coolant lines. Unfortunately the bolts on it to the cooler pipe are are on there good and I don't have a triple square bit to fit. And of course my cat clamp stripped, so ill have to cut it to get it off...I may just leave the cooler mounted at this point and take it off later.
borjawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 08:37   #17
borjawil
Veteran Member

Updated: Figured as I learn Ill update to help others out. In order to remove the cooler pipe (anyone know the correct term for this?) behind the block, you need to disconnect the "U" shaped pipe from the cooler piper and turbo? Apparently this is the turbo oil drain pipe, or so I'm told. You will also need to remove the down pipe or cat from the turbo. there is a basic one bolt band clamp. This take an allen wrench 5 or 6mm i believe and can be accessed from the top if you can get your arm between the ASV/EGR valve and fire wall. It can also be reach from underneath. I used a allen tool thats approx 8" and has a 3/8 ratchet base. May need a 3" or 6" ext as well. Cant remember. Highly advise that you spray this with penetrating oil. Mine stripped out on the head so now I have to cut. You can get a replacement clamp for $10-20 online. eBay has them too.

Since the cat is welded to a flex pipe there is some movement allowed to remove the cooler pipe, but its still a pain. Metal gaskets (google brm erg metal gasket) will bring up the replacement gaskets for the block off plates if you make your own or your kit didn't include them. I was told not to use paper gaskets. Seems AZ doesn't have the metal ones. I am going to be reusing my metal gaskets as Im in a bind at the moment and will be coppercoting them.

Getting to the clamps for the 2 coolant hoses is a ***** and your hand will get tired. One I could get off so I cut the line as close to the cooler as possible. Clamp your hoses before hand to save some coolant. Coolant will leak from the cooler. maybe a quart amount. Use a 90 degree METAL 1" elbow to connect the lines. A straight fitting will cause the lines to kink. Don't use the plastic plumbing fittings a lot of block off kits come with. They will melt, deform, deteriorate, and then your SOL. I am going to be using a 90 degree heater hose fitting from AZ $3.99 #47065 comes with two and see how that works. Doesn't have barbed ends, but has orings on either side. They are approx .8"-.95" in diameter so should work fine.

Thats about all I have for now. Feel free to ask questions. Seemed daunting when I was reading on it, but really is quite simple. Ill see if I can't make a DIY write up as I did not see any online that were detailed.
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:28   #18
1sloVR4

Glad you got it figured out. As for the gaskets, I'm pretty sure the OEM ones are made out of stainless steel so as long as the mating surfaces are flat and clean and the metal gaskets aren't damaged, you shouldn't have to worry about replacing them. They are re-useable.
1sloVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 15:09   #19
borjawil
Veteran Member

Well got everything buttoned up. Couple questions, what vacuum line(s) do I block? Obviously the one for the actuator that moves the flap/valve, but is there another one?

My turbo is spooling up with little gas pedal input. I think I read about a zip tie mod?
Old November 28th, 2017, 12:53   #20
ponjohn

Does the EGR delete require a tune?
Old November 28th, 2017, 16:36   #21
heywier427

TDI(s): 85 golf

Remove the large turbo oil drain nut, and loosen the upper oil drain pipe brace nut. You will now be able to push the oil drain tube/pipe towards the firewall, and pull out the cooler.
Oil will spill out of the bottom nut, so be ready.
As far as which vacuum line to cap, simply follow the metal vacuum line up to the top of the engine.
You cap the inner nipple on the n239 valve, or anti shutter valve.

Yes, an egr delete will require a tune to turn off the check engine light.
heywier427 is offline   Reply With Quote