www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old May 7th, 2012, 09:24   #46
digitalextremes

Fuel Economy: 17Km/L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_2009_JSW View Post
This was a great recommendation. I had one of my headlights burn out recently and based on the comments in this thread bought some of these Rallye 65W ones. I've had this new 65W one on one side and an original (3.5 years on it, but with the DRL option off) on the other for a few weeks -- this new one is definitely better. It fills the area with more light, and seems to be just slightly whiter.

Thanks again. If it lasts 3+ years I'll be more than happy.
Don't compare a brand new bulb with an older bulb specially when they are different brands and types, the color of light may change over time.

You have to allow time for color shifting before you can compare the light colors, google "HID bulb color shifting" for more info.
digitalextremes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 21:37   #47
Vipervnm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best: 48.2 mpg, Avg: 43 mpg

After 3 sets of Sylvania Silverstars in under 2.5 years I'm on to try the Osram Night Breaker Plus H7s. Here's hoping for more longevity!
'46 Willys CJ2a 2.2 L-head "Go Devil" 3-sp 64k mi
Vipervnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 15:33   #48
Tim Birney
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05.5 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Cell_Mekanick View Post
I found one of my headlights burnt out this morning and have been searching to see what the best replacement is. As I've found most of the threads to be outdated. Seems like most prefer Osram silver stars or Phillips X-treme power H7's.

I'm ok with stock H7's just though I'd change both out anyhow as they both are original to the car. Figured I'd see what everyone that's change them went to before I buy. I will have to buy and install what I can find locally today.

Thanks, and sorry if I missed any pertanient threads while searching. This thread has given me the most info but it's almost 5 yrs old, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=brightest+H7.
The Best Headlight Bulb is the one that Lights up at Night Time.
Old August 6th, 2012, 18:37   #49
redvw

TDI(s): Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipervnm View Post
After 3 sets of Sylvania Silverstars in under 2.5 years I'm on to try the Osram Night Breaker Plus H7s. Here's hoping for more longevity!
I have been using Osram Night Breaker Plus H7s for the past six month. The light is a great improvement over the OEM bulbs. I am hoping they last at least 12 months.

redvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:06   #50
jason_
Veteran Member

I bought some.cheesy h7 ultra silverstars from sylvania back in 7/14 from poopzone.. One finally popped called and got 2 new replacements from manufacturer for free.

Not sure to ride out these freebies or try the mentioned 65 watters in previous posts

I like the 4k color spread. nice at night and surprisingly bearable in snow
. Just wish they last longer. Only made 15k miles drl on. But I drive so close to dawn/dusk drl off wouldn't matter.

Opinions?
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:16   #51
BrentRN
Veteran Member

Osram and Sylvania are the same company. What is different about the Night Breaker line of bulbs? Is there a Sylvania-branded bulb that is the same?

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/Pages/default.aspx
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:46   #52
jason_
Veteran Member

Hmm. Interesting. Maybe the 65 want element can handle more vibration and shock? Reason people have had better results?

Quick and cheap way to brighten a bulb is to over-amp/over volt a wire. Or make the wire lighter.

Seems like "off road" elements are beefier?
Old February 13th, 2015, 12:02   #53
meerschm
Veteran Member

same voltage, more watts, shorter life

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 13:34   #54
edge130
Veteran Member

Default Osram Ralle 65w H7

I also use and like the Osram ralle 65 H7 bulbs.
They seem to be lasting good for me.
Got them on Ebay

Like to smear a small amount of bulb grease onto the tabs, also I use a latex glove so that I don't contaminate bulb glass with oil.

I replaced high beams and low beams with same lamp
edge130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 14:19   #55
jason_
Veteran Member

i haven't had a hibeam burn out yet. since you used the same bulb in both style fixtures, how is one brighter? does ecm do something with the trigger/voltage? or is the reflector actually made different to reflect light differently?

one of my 2009's got whacked up pretty good in an accident. not worth repairing for road use. so decided to use it for some offroad play.

curious if they make h7's without the metal tit covering on the glass tip, i was going to try and find any bulbs like that, and remove the 'vw' cover inside the lens, better light at night when playing through the bushes.

ideas?

http://www.amazon.com/MTEC-4X-Super-.../dp/B004N2T5NE
100 watters, those even legal? i doubt 90% of vehicle spaghetti harness out there can even handle that amp draw?
probably a package label scam.

Last edited by jason_; February 13th, 2015 at 14:29.
Old February 13th, 2015, 17:06   #56
meerschm
Veteran Member

Going off road, I would look at some nice off road LED packs mounted to a roof rack.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 15:13   #57
Tony_agr

Default Front Headlight Buld replacement

Forgive me if I sound stupid, But how do you go about changing a headlight bulb? the bulb that was out was the daytime running light on Driver side and the same side main headlight, how do you get to them??? I tried removing the Plastic cap? which it says in the owners manual, No Joy... taking the air box cover off gave a little more room but removing the whole air box,again No Joy VW had some weird looking fasteners that apparently don't come loose.
this is a 2013 Jetta TDI BTW.. while I'm on it VW doesn't make anything easy.. Ireally think it was designed so the layman doesnt have a chance.. my Daughter ended up taking the thing to a dealer and they had to remove the bumper to replace the bulbs ($285!) it says nothing about removing the bumper in the owners manual. We just got my wifes 14 Jetta "Fixed" mileage is down (we'll know how much after this tank of fuel) and I heard what sounds like an injector(s) clattering from dead stop take off 2 times right after the "fix".
I got to say, as much as I liked these cars ,I dont believe VW built in much owner serviceability so that they can increase their bottom line many times over after the original sale.. also the fact that State a federal Gov't got millions of dollars from the settlement and we got squat is total BS also
Ok I'm done for now but will be back for some smarter than me "how to's"
Thanks
Tony_agr is offline   Reply With Quote