www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:49   #1
D-Cell_Mekanick
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45ish
Default Best headlight bulb?

I found one of my headlights burnt out this morning and have been searching to see what the best replacement is. As I've found most of the threads to be outdated. Seems like most prefer Osram silver stars or Phillips X-treme power H7's.

I'm ok with stock H7's just though I'd change both out anyhow as they both are original to the car. Figured I'd see what everyone that's change them went to before I buy. I will have to buy and install what I can find locally today.

Thanks, and sorry if I missed any pertanient threads while searching. This thread has given me the most info but it's almost 5 yrs old, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=brightest+H7.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:01   #2
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Just had one go out, replaced with Silver Star. It seems very slightly brighter than the OEM, 50k mile, 3-year-old bulb.
I'll do the other one today. I agree with you, and usually change these things in pairs.

(WAY off topic, but interesting. I had 2 Goodyear single-axle trailer tires throw their treads within 600 miles of each other...both had exactly the same, 30,000mile, highway life!! How's that for quality control?)
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:05   #3
D-Cell_Mekanick
Veteran Member

Sounds like built in failure rate to me. Just past warranty I'd bet also.

What's the difference between sylvania and Osram silverstars? All I see is sylvania.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:53   #4
Lukesan

TDI(s): Jetta

Not sure if you guys can get them in the US but I highly recommend the Osram nightbreaker plus.
I was just comparing bulbs and on the drivers side I have the nightbreakers and on the passengers side the Silverstars. Believe me the nightbreakers are way better.

It made a big difference on mine. It's still not HID but far better than the standard bulbs.
They might go out faster but I prefer spending $30 on safety without regrets and that is why I have spare in the trunk.

Edit : Seems you can get them http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-DISTRIBUT...-/370573689233

Last edited by Lukesan; January 23rd, 2012 at 08:57.
Lukesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:56   #5
straightliner
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09 TDI Jetta

The silver stars very short life was not worth the extra brightness! I went through two sets and the LONGEST the bulb last was 7 months! PLEASE keep in mind 7 months for me is about 20k miles
straightliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:59   #6
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Straightliner: what did you switch to?
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:00   #7
D-Cell_Mekanick
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightliner View Post
The silver stars very short life was not worth the extra brightness! I went through two sets and the LONGEST the bulb last was 7 months! PLEASE keep in mind 7 months for me is about 20k miles
Thats no good . I was seriously thinking about them, but you are making me reconsider that option.

Has anyone used the Philips X-Treme power bulbs?

I want a bulb to last preferably as long as the stockers did, got 88K miles and 5 years out of this one.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 13:13   #8
Lukesan

TDI(s): Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Cell_Mekanick View Post
Thats no good . I was seriously thinking about them, but you are making me reconsider that option.

Has anyone used the Philips X-Treme power bulbs?

I want a bulb to last preferably as long as the stockers did, got 88K miles and 5 years out of this one.

So you guys prefer a long lasting bulb over security?
Lukesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 13:38   #9
D-Cell_Mekanick
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukesan View Post
So you guys prefer a long lasting bulb over security?
thats laughable.

I ended up buying Sylvania xtravision bulbs. They were the same price as standard h7 bulbs. I'll see how they perform in the morning.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 13:42   #10
Tim Birney
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05.5 TDI

Quote:
I have Silver Stars that have been in the car over Four Years...
... when you replace the H7 Bulb, you CANNOT touch it with your BARE fingers.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 18:42   #11
FTG
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Quote:

Agreed....the first time I replaced the original bulbs, I replaced with silverstars. They failed within 6 months, and silly me, I replaced them again with Silverstars. Again, very premature failure in about 6 months again. I was very careful and installed them with rubber gloves as to not get any oils on the bulb. Nevertheless, the short life with the cost associated turned me off to Silverstars forever.
FTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:31   #12
ro.sniper
Veteran Member

Had the silverstars on my old Honda and they had a brutally short life.. never again.
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:56   #13
silvera4quattro

My personal favorite is the Osram Rallye 65W H7. I've ran them collectively for at least 3 or 4 years in different cars and the output is excellent and they LAST, most importantly. The marginal increase in wattage isn't a problem either.

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html
silvera4quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:06   #14
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

I've been doing some Internet research. It appears that the SilverStars are a little brighter and whiter than "normal" H7s, but they suffer from short life. The Osram Night Breaker Plus bulbs are even brighter and they claim that their design gives them longer life than the SilverStars. The Osram Rally 65 watt bulbs are good, but they are also illegal on the streets - they are designed for night racing. Based on this I have ordered a pair of the Night Breaker Plus bulbs. They claim to be 90% brighter (as opposed to 50% brighter for the SilverStars) and have longer life. This combined with the fact that they are DOT approved (legal) is what clinched the decision. YMMV.

Have Fun!

Don
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:33   #15
silvera4quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
The Osram Rally 65 watt bulbs are good, but they are also illegal on the streets - they are designed for night racing.
While this is true, they don't impact the beam pattern and create glare. They are for "off road use only" according to the mfg though.

That said, I've never had anyone flash me because they were too bright.
silvera4quattro is offline   Reply With Quote