www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old December 17th, 2011, 18:15   #1
openat6

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48/52
Default TDTuning vs RocketChip

Let me first say...I am still wet behind the ears, but a quick student.

First TDI, and moving towards upgrades for power and MPG’s

Recently put in Bosio 205's now I am investing ecu tunes, I have been in contact with a few people concerning the 2 vendors and I want to get a mass oppion on the topic, I would hate to go with one when the other would be a better choice, so I am exhausting all options before making a choice. (please no offense intended to those I have PM or spoke with)

My plan....positive balance between power and mpg's, also want a little snot when I want/need it. So I have come to terms with a ECU tune rather than a PnP box.

So my basic question to everyone who reads this is, what are the concensious on the 2 options of TDTuning and RocketChip, is a chip a chip or does one do a better job at “CHIPPING” so to speak…

Thanks in advance.

Tim
openat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 19:05   #2
Tarbe
Veteran Member

I am in your boat...wondering if you decided against Malone and Revo for some reason, or just limiting the options?

Tim
Old December 17th, 2011, 19:12   #3
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Well everyone likes their tuner and that is that. I have been with RocketChip for quite a while and I like his tunes. Then I know that people who with Malone tunes and they are happy with their tunes.
Wavetrac LSD, Bosch 230'a with RC4.5, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 19:12   #4
mech644
Veteran Member

They are both good choices, just depends on which one YOU feel more comfortable with.
Become a student of the search button and dry your ears with the immense amount of information specific to the various tuners that is available.
Search. Read. Think. Decide.
2015 GHB SEL 1.8 tsi
2014 Touareg
mech644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 20:00   #5
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

Also look at a GTG near you. Many times a tuner will be there.

There will be a GTG at the Ho5G this spring. Look under the meets tab & East Coast.

You could even meet mech644 here......
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 20:06   #6
openat6

Didnt know about them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarbe View Post
I am in your boat...wondering if you decided against Malone and Revo for some reason, or just limiting the options?

Tim
Old December 17th, 2011, 20:27   #7
openat6

i am leaning more towards RC the more i read, plus close to me, so driveable and able to stay and ask questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by openat6 View Post
Didnt know about them...
Old December 17th, 2011, 20:29   #8
dremd
Veteran Member

I love my Malone tune, great tune, great service, great guy.
2014 JSW (Went back to VW) Emissions? Well, about that . . .
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 21:50   #9
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Use the search function & don't feed the tuning wars. All this has been asked and answered many times before. Read, quietly ask knowledgeable veteran owners, attend a GTG, make sure your engine is in proper running condition and ready to be tuned.. Then make your choice.
Old December 17th, 2011, 22:51   #10
BIG Doug

Default How to you like the "EDGE" tuning chip module?

I've been disappointed with the instrumentation in my 2012 JSW TDI. (I hope I'm not violating any TDI forum rules here.)
Have any of you seen the ad from EDGE showing a supplemental instrument cluster with up to eight parameters of analog or digital indicators?
Better yet, have any of the TDI old timers given this EDGE tuning chip idea a try? I'm interested mainly in the instrumentation, and want to know if it is bogus or worth it!

Want to give your vehicle an extra boost? Install a performance module by Edge to increase your vehicle's power, performance and fuel economy. Available easy to read monitor places everything at your fingertips, making the module easy to adapt to your specific needs. Many performance modules multi-task, so not only do you gain the extra torque and horsepower you want, you are also able to utilize the modules built in GPS and backup camera! The power levels on the performance module match fueling with any upgrades you have made, making an Edge programmer the perfect final touch! Believe it or not, here a link to a video showing the EDGE tuning module installed on a Chevy Truck!

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-ed...r-EP85700.aspx
Thanks for giving this a look!
BIG Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 23:09   #11
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by openat6 View Post
.... plus close to me, so driveable and able to stay and ask questions.
This seems to be a deciding factor for many people. Most of the quality tuners have very similar results. Often the choice has more to do with convenience. Most people do not want to pull their ECUs and ship them across the country and wait for it to come back. They do not want to be without their cars for up to a week. Therefore, the proximity of the tuner (or one of their dealers) is often a deciding factor. In other words, how easy is it to get the tune installed and how easy is it to get it re-done in case VW overwrites it in the future. RocketChip, Malone, TDTuning, HPA, Revo, etc. all sell excellent tunes. The first three (Jeff, Mark, and Mike) can also customize the tune for different nozzles, turbos, etc (I'm not sure about the others). Anyway, if you stick with a reputable tuner, I seriously doubt that you will be disappointed with the results.

Have Fun!

Don
Old December 17th, 2011, 23:41   #12
tothemax
Veteran Member

I can say for sure you cannot go wrong with either of RocketChip, Malone, TDTuning, ..... all sell excellent tunes. I know the first three (Jeff, Mark, and Mike) mentioned above and the quality of their work.... the other two mentioned, I simply do not know.

Keep in mind, there is some definite benefit to obtaining your tune via email Vs. having to pull out the ecu and shipping across the country... lotsa vectors and force fields in that method... + with the first method, you can send logs via email again and the tune can be adjusted accordingly...

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
This seems to be a deciding factor for many people. Most of the quality tuners have very similar results. Often the choice has more to do with convenience. Most people do not want to pull their ECUs and ship them across the country and wait for it to come back. They do not want to be without their cars for up to a week. Therefore, the proximity of the tuner (or one of their dealers) is often a deciding factor. In other words, how easy is it to get the tune installed and how easy is it to get it re-done in case VW overwrites it in the future. RocketChip, Malone, TDTuning, HPA, Revo, etc. all sell excellent tunes. The first three (Jeff, Mark, and Mike) can also customize the tune for different nozzles, turbos, etc (I'm not sure about the others). Anyway, if you stick with a reputable tuner, I seriously doubt that you will be disappointed with the results.

Have Fun!

Don
tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:26   #13
silverbox
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55mpg highway@100kph

As many have said TDTuning, Malone Tuning and Rocket Chip are the three most prominent tuners on this site. Charlie at Kerma TDI is also an experienced tuner, I believe He has been Tuning TDI's since 2007 or 2008.
silverbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:38   #14
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Ignore the yellow "SDI" curve, but the other 3 are tunes from RC and TDT on 3 seperate ECU's - Dyno runs ~5 minutes apart - nothing but the ECU's changed.

None of the tunes have been "optimized" - they are more/less "off the shelf" tunes.

03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 15:33   #15
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Nice graph. Once you dyno your car you know you need to shift no later than 4000 rpm as your torque is dropping off. The interesting part about FixUntilBroke's car is that you can see it seemed that 135 was the max hp; on the same dyno I got 146 hp and 269 ft-lb torque. Maybe the heavy towing was taking a toll on his car, dunno.
Wavetrac LSD, Bosch 230'a with RC4.5, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote