What are your thoughts on the 2008 Jeep?

keypecker

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW traded off 2005 Passat sedan 2.0 TDI
Has anyone thought about trying to pick up a Jeep cherokee with the 3.0l mercedes diesel. I see them evey once in a while pretty cheap and wonder sometimes if maybe I could steal one REAL cheap with all the confusion. Edmunds has them booking out 20-24K. I think if I could pick one up for around 20K, chip it, then you should get 23-25 in town and 28+ hwy.
What does any one know about this drive line, the present status of Jeep and how they would treat warranty. ( found an 08 with less than 10k mi 4X4 limited) it is tempting, but I can't find much on the issues or the drivetrain other than reviews.

any one own one??

Thanks

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
It's the most sophisticated, technically complex engine sold in the USA. Would think you'll have trouble finding a Jeep dealer that can service them, as there's little incentive to have tech training for cars that never show up at dealership.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
My buddy owns one; he is very happy with it and has had no problems in two years.

Is it the same engine that is in the Mercedes E320?

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
I saw a Grand Cherokee CRD the other day. Gotta say I like it.

I would definitely purchase one given the right opportunity and price.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I've generally heard all excellent opinions. However, like Kent, I'd be concerned about the local dealerships ability to repair it when it breaks. It may not put me off, but I'd sure have lingering concerns...

There are a few folks here that own them. Perhaps they'll share a few thoughts.

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
dieseldorf said:
However, like Kent, I'd be concerned about the local dealerships ability to repair it when it breaks. It may not put me off, but I'd sure have lingering concerns...
Maybe the local Mercedes (instead of Jeep) dealership might be more likely to be competent about it?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
mrchaotica said:
Maybe the local Mercedes (instead of Jeep) dealership might be more likely to be competent about it?
Nope. They'd run from it like the plague. Same with Sprinters (which ARE Mercedes Benzes!).

As nice as the engine is, the box it is in is only mediocre at best. Better than the previous gen GC, and FAR better than the older ones, but still not a standout in the SUV crowd. I'd take a 4Runner any day over a GC, even if it meant being stuck with a gasser. :eek:

I think the past MB/Chrysler split-up, the current Chrysler mess, and the newest Fiat involvement, would mean I would want to steer clear of the GC CRD. It will most likely turn out like the BMW diesel powered Lincolns of the mid-80s. :rolleyes: Just a curious bastard orphan child that nobody wants to touch, can't get parts for, and has no value outside of a VERY small crowd of enthusiasts.

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
dieseldorf said:
I've generally heard all excellent opinions. However, like Kent, I'd be concerned about the local dealerships ability to repair it when it breaks. It may not put me off, but I'd sure have lingering concerns...

There are a few folks here that own them. Perhaps they'll share a few thoughts.
Why couldnt a MB dealership repair that motor? Take care of her and I doubt you'd have any trouble.

Listen to this. The guy I know that bought a 2008 on the dealer floor got her for 22,500 OUT THE DOOR!

Now is the time to buy people!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Oil_Burner said:
Why couldnt a MB dealership repair that motor? Take care of her and I doubt you'd have any trouble.

Listen to this. The guy I know that bought a 2008 on the dealer floor got her for 22,500 OUT THE DOOR!

Now is the time to buy people!
For starters they use a different scan tool. Then they would not be able to look up any parts. Then they would not be able to look up any labor times. Then nobody in the shop would likely want to have anything to do with it.

I take it you've never worked at a dealer, much less an MB one. :p

Call a BMW dealer and ask them if they will service your 1984 Lincoln Mark VII. :D

Call a Volkswagen dealer and ask them if they will service your 1984 Volvo 740 diesel.

This is the cross to bear with goofy transplant cars, or transplant engines. Unless they are REALLY common, like Mitsubishi 3.0L V6s in 1986 to 2001 Chrysler products, they won't know much about them and won't CARE to know much about them. Generally dealer techs go kicking and screaming into change anyways. How do you think the Saab guys feel about having to know Subaru (9-2x) or Trailblazers (9-7x) that have ZERO in common with their other products? Yet I bet if you showed up at a Subie dealer's doorstep with a broken 9-2x they would kick you out like a red-headed step child.

So many of these models end up short-lived, and end up where nobody wants them. Just look at the difference in prices for a 1st-gen Odyssey and an Isuzu Oasis. Same car, same platform, same builder (Honda). But the Oasis is virtually worthless. And the Honda guys would just as soon stab a fork in your eye than even look up an oil filter for you. :(

Now the GC CRD is not a total transplant model, like say the Crossfire is (another unwanted orphan), but that engine/trans will be such that if you own one in years to come you will have to take it upon yourself to really know something about it, or have someone willing to do what it takes to service it and keep it alive and happy. And I would be willing to bet there are VERY few of those people around.

Last edited:

Waterfrontray

TDI
2001 A4 Jetta
I own one...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=205417

and I live in Tampa.. Well Palm Harbor... Only problem was there was a recall / service bulletin about the gas tanks.. So they replaced my tank, lift pump and cleaned the nozzles.. The service tech bent the steel line running to the nozzles, so the next day my garage smelled like diesel fuel. It took them 10 days to get the part and fix it... Filled out the paper work to Lemon law the SUV.. but didn't go through with it. I really like the Jeep, but I don't drive it much it is the wife car (stay @ home Mom) so it has 10k miles on for 1 1/2 years of use. We drive to the keys and Alabama to see friends and family, pull a boat and trailer... Great tow SUV...Once pulled my 12,500lb 30’ Pursuit out of the water for maintenance with it.

Service has and always and will be a problem, but I think Robert Stuart in Tarpon will be able to handle it once it is out of warranty. For now I am stuck with the dealer, but I am doing oil changes and general maintenance myself. I was running B50 (home made) without any problems. (Tested oil monthly) but since wife does not drive a lot a started to get worried about grow in the summer time in the tank, so stopped running B50 during the summer.

Any questions? Want to see it? I work in Downtown Tampa and can drive it into the city whenever.