Castrol SLX Professional LL03/ Power flow Long Life III

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
I'm trying to decipher the difference between the Castrol SLX Power flow 5W-30 Long Life III they sell in Europe and the Castrol SLX Professional LL03 the sell here in the USA. They both are in gold identical bottles.

Europe: Castrol SLX Power flow 5W-30 Long Life III - VW 504 00/ 507 00
http://www.mapodo.de/product_info.php/products_id/392/language/en

USA: VW sells Castrol SLX Professional LL03 5W-30 - VW 504 00/ 507 00
http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1134

Castrol SLX Power flow: ACEA A3/B3/B4
Castrol SLX Professional LL03: ACEA A3/B4/C3

Petrol: A3
Diesel: B3/B4/C3

The only differences I see that for the diesel rating on the LL03 has C3 and the Power Flow has B3.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the ratings or in general between the oil specs?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
C3 is the latest long-life, DPF compatible ACEA spec; B3 is long-life but doesn't make reference to DPF compatibility. AFAIK...

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
I went to the ACEA web page... here are the intersting details - Based on this I think the Castrol SLX Professional LL03 is a very good product and seems to me to have better spec then the european version... Two reasons A3/B4 rating is suitable for applications described under A3/B3
1. extended drain intervals
2. for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer
3. plus LLO03 has the C3 rating which will increase the DPF and TWC life.

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files/20081219_ACEA_2008_Sequences_Final.pdf

A3/B3: Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.​

A3/B4: Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct-injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

C3: Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines, with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life. Note: Warning: these oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

Any other feed back is appreicate as im Army and moving to germany...

Last edited:

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
Last thought I still curious as why the original VW Long Life III in the gray bottle (which is listed as made in germany) doesn't have the ACEA rating listed?

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
willafb said:
Last thought I still curious as why the original VW Long Life III in the gray bottle (which is listed as made in germany) doesn't have the ACEA rating listed?
I'd hazard a guess it was made specifically for VW and not sold at retail outlets.

Chad@EuroTec

Vendor
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi, 6sp manual
Castrol doesnt even list this oil on their website. They dont list any oil for a 2009 diesel. It says "fluid should be purchased from dealer."